Wizards of the Three Moons now available

Hey, all, I've published a light little story-telling game I think the crowd here might be interested in. Inspired by Jack Vance and Clark Ashton Smith, Wizards of the Three Moons lets you tell tales of the intrigues of the wizards who live amid the faded splendor of Ganymede, Titan, and Europa, as well as the adventures of their troupes of pawns. It uses a tarot deck and a bag of tokens to generate simple but provocative situations, challenges, and complications. Click here to pick up the PDF for just $5. Hope you enjoy it!

Comments

• Color me interested and tell me a little more. :) For example:

- What do you think makes your game unique and/or are you most proud of?

- Is it a game of one afternoon or does it take multiple weeks or months?

- I love swords & sorcery and historical fiction, the farther into the past the better! But my friend thinks s&s is super-boring and History starts with the French revolution; she likes science fiction instead. Are we both going to enjoy your game and play it together?
  • Thanks for the questions, Rafu.
    - I think my game has a lot of flavor without being restrictive; instead of the typical "setting chapter", I wrote a bunch of small sketches of the type of facts that the setting MIGHT include, without dictating that they be true. In fact, some of the sketches contradict one another, and I don't even state categorically whether contradictions make something false. Also, the use of the tarot deck is not as a randomizer, the way that other games (including my previous game, House of Cards) do, but as an engine for adding narrative spice to conflict resolution. The cards prompt new narrative twists to be appended to nearly every conflict, which keeps the story moving forward with hooks for future development.
    - It can be played in a single afternoon, but rewards return visits for the reasons mentioned above. Everyone wants to play both wizards in the framing scenes and their hapless pawns in the main scenes, so for everyone to get their time in the spotlight, long-term play is best, but it also lends itself to episodic one-offs.
    - I set the game in a Numenera-like "future fantasy", and the invocation of Jack Vance's name is certainly not done lightly. After all, you sail between moons on ether balloons and solar caravels, and there are explicitly wizards right there in the name! I think if you can both enjoy a setting which is an anachronistic melange of pulpy sci-fi and medieval fantasy, then you'll be able to equally enjoy Wizards of the Three Moons.
  • The second edition of the game is now available in PDF and print at DriveThruRPG, along with an accompanying Anthology Deck (a custom tarot deck designed to facilitate play). I'd love it if you'd pick a copy up today!
  • You know... a friend asked for a game that could be played in a 2-3 hour slot and was light and kid-friendly (for a broad definition of the term), and preferably could be played around a meal. I'm wondering if this would work for that. There's a lot of flexibility in tone.
  • That's a good point: the standard session structure lends itself to self-contained play like you describe.