183 Days

Sara Williamson and I have released through DriveThruCards 183 Days, winner of Best Storytelling at Fastaval 2015..

http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/144510/183-Days

Sam can see the future. Dylan can see many possible futures. Tomorrow, they go on a date. Their relationship lasts 183 days

A freeform game about clairvoyance and free will, about love and relationships. Two hours, no prep. Just flip the first card and start playing.

Some nice people saying nice things about our game:

"183 Days is an emotional, touching and surprising journey in an intimate session with just one other player. Prepare to fall in love, visit your own memories and live though a beautiful story told in an elegant manner. A must-play for both emotional and game-design interested players." -- Anna Westerling

"183 Days is a fantastic piece of cutting edge game technology. It not only lets two people tell a powerful, connected story with no prep and no fuss, it sets out a new paradigm for freeform design." -- Brand Robins

If anybody's got any questions, feel free to ask!

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Whoa! 1-on-1 about love and relationships is not my thing at all, but "freeform game about clairvoyance and free will" might be too cool to resist. I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... sounds like maybe it might get at similar issues...

I am also endlessly intrigued by design innovations, including the "inspired, no-prep" direction, so that's another big plus.

There's a space between "the system tells you what happens, just relate that" and "make stuff up! push things forward! resolve things! it's all on you!" that I'm interested in navigating with "pick up and play" games. I generally hear "freeform" and assume a game is much closer to the latter end of that spectrum, but I'd be curious to hear where 183 Days falls.
  • Wow, that sounds awesome! I know lots of indie storygamer peeps who would love this.
  • Thanks for the kind words!

@David_Berg, it is definitely somewhere in the middle. The scenes are set, and the cards give some pretty clear prompts as far as when scenes begin, what happens in them, and when they end, even sometimes telling people what they're going to say. But a lot of the texture of the relationship is left to the players. Their relationships is always going to have the obvious free will vs determinism issue at the heart of it, but I think how they treat each other is always a surprising revelation to hear from players, and impacts the game even more.

I think maybe one of the core questions is: "If you could see the future, and change it / not change it, what would you become? How do you live with that?"

• That said, it is very much a 1-on-1 game about love and relationships. :)
  • Sounds fascinating!

Would you say the game is better played by clever and creative experienced story gamers, or is it well-suited to non-gamers/more shy people?

(I recognize the designer's perpetual desire to say, "both, of course", but I'd like to get more of a sense of how creatively demanding the game is, and whether it requires really heavily invested players willing to bare their souls or can be played in a more "casual" style.)
  • I watched some people who had never roleplayed play this, and they played in a fascinating way: they just did what the cards said and no more, and breezed through the game in 30 minutes and had a blast! The story they told made good sense too.

I'll split the difference: I don't think cleverness is particularly well rewarded, nor do you need to be a fount of creativity to play this game (although basic improv-y stuff is expected). But I think the game is best played by people who are willing to get a bit emotionally involved. I think new players can often be the best at that, but in a 1 on 1 game, there's no hiding from it.
  • James when we played we hewed much closer to the "just read" formula than to a full-blown improvisational extravaganza. It felt good! We stretched out where it made sense.
  • Very interesting :D
    Sounds like something right up my alley.