A New Kickstarter: A Guide to Playing GMLess Games

The name says it all. Here's the link, so you can read more.

https://goo.gl/NO35jD

Comments

• isn't the name of the project kind of misleading?

I mean, is this book offering suggestions and guidelines to improve my sessions of Fiasco and Polaris and Hell For Leather?
    From the KS description it looks like just a guidebook specifically for the Protocol series.

Just saying...
  • edited October 2015
    isn't the name of the project kind of misleading?.
    Yes, it is misleading; the name doesn't 'say it all'. It should in fact be entitled A Guide to Playing the Protocol Series of GMless Games.
  • I hadn't heard of Protocol Games before. What are they like?
  • edited October 2015
    After recommendation from the German RPG community, I've just bought a couple of protocol games (system seems to be integrated into the setting books).
    They look very interesting for a one-shot (think of a more serious minded Fiasco session).

Here is a free PDF for an example of the Protocol system: https://www.peginc.com/store/deadlands-tall-tales-broken-hearts-pdf/

A suggestion to the author (or postworldgames publisher):
    I didn't find any free examples whatsoever on your webpage. It would be much more inviting to offer a couple free settings.
    (If it weren't for Pinnacle's free Deadlands PDF, I wouldn't bother buying the Protocol games I just did)

I also find the post title "kind of" misleading.
  • isn't the name of the project kind of misleading?

I mean, is this book offering suggestions and guidelines to improve my sessions of Fiasco and Polaris and Hell For Leather?
    From the KS description it looks like just a guidebook specifically for the Protocol series.

Just saying...
    while the book focuses on protocols, it will have a great deal of general advice for ALL gmless games, teaching people who've never played gmless games what to expect. what kind of authority they have, creating canon, and so on. the book can't address every specific game, but it can deal with general concepts.
  • edited October 2015
    I hadn't heard of Protocol Games before. What are they like?
    there are 50+ games in the series. all available on my website (postworldgames) or drive thru. in general, they are fast, zero-prep games. and while they have a shared system, no two play alike. a poker deck informs the action and guides players to the next scene type and focus.

players take turns being directors, but they also appear in scenes that they wish. drama points are used to interrupt the action, join scenes, and break the rules in any way you can imagine.

i've demoed protocol somewhere around 200 times and i'm not sick of it, so the system does everything i think a gmless system should do.

it's $3 to find out. :)
  • the project has funded and i am moving toward my first stretch goal.