What Five Things Should I Buy at GenCon 2015?

So, what's new and shiny and likely to be at GenCon this year?

I back a lot of kickstarters, so I may already have some of what folks may suggest -- but that's fine. Others probably don't, and should probably hear about it.

It is TOTALLY fine to plug your own stuff. I'm asking.

Comments

• I'm stoked about the Mottainai card game but I haven't tried it yet, maybe it's not that good. But it's the one thing I've been looking forward to the most.
  • Lisa take a look at the board game Mysterium, which I've quite enjoyed.
  • I'm stoked about the Mottainai card game
    Trust me, it's not worth it lol.

• Thanks catty
  • edited July 2015
    Thanks catty
    Sorry, I guess not everybody speaks Japanese. Mottainai means 'It's not worth it' in Japanese. No idea how that relates to the game.

EDIT: My bad. I've just checked, and it seems my memory is imperfect. Apparently it means 'What a waste'. Coulda sworn it meant 'not worth it'. Oh well, that's twenty years of lack of practice for you.

• I knew it was something that you say when you, for example, spill your bowl of green peas on the kitchen floor.
    But I didn't connect your statement to the game's name, I thought you knew whether or not the game would be good and that it wouldn't be good.
  • I'm sure it's awesome. It's by the guys behind Glory to Rome, so that should tell you something.
  • Yeah, it's supposedly a GtR that has a large amount of unique cards (fewer cards total, but no duplicates) and also works better two player. Sounds fun
  • In order of greatest curiosity:

Tragedy Looper -- Midnight Circus expansion: Make a great game even greater.
    Feng Shui 2: Curious how they've incorporated the best of '90s and '10s design
    Codenames: Clever party game
    Tides of Time: Clever 2p drafting game
    And (plug) Paradox wraps its KS the week before GenCon
  • Lisa take a look at the board game Mysterium, which I've quite enjoyed.
    Thanks. I'll point Josh at it as well.

• In order of greatest curiosity:

Tragedy Looper -- Midnight Circus expansion: Make a great game even greater.
    Feng Shui 2: Curious how they've incorporated the best of '90s and '10s design
    Codenames: Clever party game
    Tides of Time: Clever 2p drafting game
    And (plug) Paradox wraps its KS the week before GenCon
    What is Midnight Circus? I know of it as an old WoD product that impressed me and that I'm still using, but I think you're probably talking about something else.

We got to playtest FS2. I backed the KS, but I'm probably not the one you're ever going to want gming it.
  • Tragedy Looper is a well-regarded time travel board game. Its expansion "Midnight Circus" is as far as I know unrelated to the old White Wolf product.
  • Some good food
    Drinks with friends
    Tickets to a cool show or museum
    A comfortable hotel room
    Airfare for your friend who can't afford it
  • edited July 2015
    Airfare for your friend who can't afford it
    Are you offering, JD? I'd be flying from Gatwick ideally. Club class would be much appreciated, those long haul flights can be a bit wearing.

• Good food -- well, I do intend to have a nut mix, granola bars or poptarts, bread, and peanut butter, and hopefully supplement those with some real meals. Oh yes, and if I can, I want to pick up Powerade.
    Drinks with friends -- Non-alcoholic, sure. I have enough trouble staying conscious at long gaming conventions that alcohol is very much a handle-with-care.
    Tickets to a cool show or museum -- not during GenCon, as they'd be wasted on me.
    A comfortable hotel room -- miraculously, yes.
    Airfare for a friend who can't afford it -- that I can't do, sorry.
  • Tragedy Looper is a well-regarded time travel board game. Its expansion "Midnight Circus" is as far as I know unrelated to the old White Wolf product.
    Ah, thanks.
  • Airfare for your friend who can't afford it
    Are you offering, JD? I'd be flying from Gatwick ideally. Club class would be much appreciated, those long haul flights can be a bit wearing.

Oh heck no. I wouldn't subject any of my friends to GenCon. But those that would enjoy it would enjoy it more with their friends. :)