Stuff to Watch -- November 2014

What stuff should we watch, read, play, etc?

1. Feel free to respond here in-thread to another link posted.

a. If you're looking to start a conversation, perhaps take your comment and create a new thread with it in the Stuff to Watch category.

b. Otherwise, to prevent too many comments in the thread, number your response (first response: [1]; second response [2]; third response [3]). If you see that you're the second person to post, "Wow, that looks cool!" to a post here, then put a "[2]" at the top of your post. Three posts ([3]) is the limit: The fourth person to post should just take their comment and create a new thread, to carry the discussion over there further.

Why?

Because these threads are great: We can link to little things being talked about on the web in general, on blogs, or other forums that might be noteworthy, without having to dedicate a new thread to each and every one (although that, too, is fine if you want to discuss the item further or "open up a discussion").

Responding to these posts with a comment or two is understandable (other times there might be no comments, just because the link was self-explanatory: nothing to say, lots of heads nodding in agreement). But we don't want to create a huge discussion in the middle of the thread: Some folks get a lot out of these threads, and don't want to look back to see the "10 latest posts" just to see that it's a heated discussion of something from a previous page.

Go!

Comments

• I've just come to the end of the first week for my kickstarter, Legacy: Life Among the Ruins.

It's a game taking in elements from Apocalypse World and Greg Stolze's REIGN to tell the story of the families that survived a reality-twisting apocalypse, the heroes that rise up from those families, and the way they change the world as generations pass. All backers can download the current draft of the rules, so if you're interested check it out! I also have a thread here, from when I was initially playtesting the game, if you'd like to chat about the game.
  • The 2014 Golden Cobra competition concluded with 4 winners and 4 runners-up.

The growing archive of submitted games that you can play right now is totally worth checking out. I recommend Still Life, it reads like a piece of satire that somehow has genuine heart, and it's designed by my dear friends.
  • I'm working on a new game with card-based mechanics. Your character's abilities are tied to their stats, which fluctuate every turn. One minute you've got a bunch of cool ranged abilities, and the next you have some amazing AOE melee attacks.

I've never really seen anything like it before, and I hope it evolves into something interesting and unique over the next few months of playtesting.

Here's the open Beta: http://schirduans.com/david/my-creations/mythic-mortals
  • Brian Rogers looks at Decentralized Power in Character Generation this month in his blog: subplotkudzu.blogspot.com/
  • I recommend keeping an out for all of the things going on with National Game Design Month [or NaGaDeMon for short]. There are plenty of RPGs and board games being developed throughout the month and I am sure you we see a lot of interesting small games coming out at the end of the month.

If you are interested if following up on it you can check out #NaGaDeMon on twitter or one of the many threats on boardgamegeek
  • To help stay sane while abruptly unemployed, I've been working a bunch on making stuff. The first thing to come out of that is Schoolgirl RPG, a 7-page mini-RPG derived from the rules of Maid RPG.
  • [Schoolgirl RPG 1]

When I view the RPGNow sample PDF ("Full-size preview") none of the body text is visible, only the section headings. I can select and copy it, but it doesn't show up at all. Weird. I'm using Safari and Preview (i.e. the system PDF renderer) on Mac OS X 10.10. Have you tried viewing the PDF on a Mac? There might be some glitch in it, or maybe in whatever RPGNow did to it to watermark it, although I've bought a ton of PDFs from them and never seen anything like this.

(I would have whispered this, but I can't find the whisper button anymore...)
  • edited November 2014
    [Schoolgirl RPG 2]

Ack, sorry. I checked with a friend and apparently there's some kind of problem with it with macs in general. I'll try redoing the PDF and update it soon. Thanks for letting me know!

Update: And now it should be fixed. There is apparently some issue with FoxIt's PDF printer, so I had to do it with Acrobat instead.
  • [I guess this is Schoolgirl RPG 3?]

Whispers don't work anymore, until somebody updates the plugin and James adds it. They are just messages to other people now. Like the pyramids, they lie in ruins, blasted and desolate.
  • The first RPG I ever created, Planet Crashers, is now for sale on DrivethruRPG.

You can find it HERE
  • Folks who missed the Kickstarter may now buy The Clay That Woke.

Paul
  • Hi everyone. Sorry for the spotty participation! Anyway, Synthicide's kickstarter has gone live. Happy Thanksgiving!

http://kck.st/123Nkga
  • Since Maid RPG's influence has led to just about every RPG thing I do having d66 tables, I figured I'd try my hand at making some stuff that's just tables, hence the first installment of Ewen's Tables, Fantasy Names, with random name tables for humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings.
  • And while we're on the subject of Maid RPG's influence, here's Retail Magic: Golden Friday Edition, which uses the Maid RPG rules for a very silly game about employees at a magic item shop. (I was planning to release it on Black Friday, but my artist friend spent another day making the cover art insanely amazing.)
  • "The Golden Friday Edition is a special discount pre-release version of Retail Magic"

I must admit to some confusion. Is there another version on the way? What are the differences?
  • [Retail Magic 2]

I eventually want to do a full Kickstarter release that'll pay for art and printing, and which will include the other stuff I have planned for the game (a table of 216 items, "commerce rules" so you can play running a business as a mini-game, an alternate modern setting, etc.), but since I had a fully playable (and IMHO pretty fun) game I wanted to get it out into the world. I'm planning to offer some kind of discount or bonus to buyers of the Golden Friday Edition when the final version comes out, but it's too early in the process to really say what exactly that'll be.