"Fantasy Football"...I need a sounding board.

So here is the idea for a game I am going to be running soon.

Far Future Fantasy setting
The players are members of a sort of Dungeon Crawling Sports Team that plays crazy games for live entertainment
In the off season they are hired out by various factions within the galactic empire to be a sort of SWAT team for all the old dangerous places of the empire that need cleared out and explored.
There will be team management, intrigue between the sporting games and the reality tv show that follows them, and the things they are sent out after, as well as off camera machinations between the teams.
It will be tactical, and simple enough to support mini-games (each of the Team Games will have a few different rules), and rules for social intrigue that matters on the field (ie You have a good relationship with the local Lord for rescuing his daughter in the off season, you can spend a point to undo an illegal trap the game organizer was going to put in.)

I think this is going to be a full game I will have to write up, as opposed to the hack I had been planning.

Right now I am kinda thinking of starting with something like Smallville, adding in some tactical combat, and coming up with some team management rules (kinda had an idea of re-tooling the Infection mechanic from Burning Empires for that).

...I don't know, thoughts? I am having trouble figuring out where to start, and I have no one to talk to about this sort of thing.

Comments

• In the rough outline of the setting as described, what you’re talking about really reminds me of X-Crawl, which was originally released for D&D 3.5 but apparently has scene rerelease as Maximum Xcrawl with an intentional compatibility with Pathfinder.

From the website:

In Xcrawl, the players are superstar athletes taking their chances in a

live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a

fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ,

creates an artificial dungeon under controlled – but lethal –

conditions. He designs the maze, and stocks it with monsters, secret

doors, magical traps, treasure and prizes. The players must go through

the dungeon and fulfill whatever conditions the DJ puts forth in order

to win.*

Xcrawl is a sport and the challenges are created, but the danger is no less real.

If you die, you die. There are no second chances.

Citizens of the North American Empire tune in every week to watch

their favorite celebrities get eaten, paralyzed, turned to stone, and

ripped apart. The nation’s hunger for blood and mayhem grows with

every contest. How will you fare?*

Mechanically, I’m not sure that introducing a new system is going to get you enough traction in the marketplace to attract attention. I could be completely wrong, but building off of someone else’s successes is generally a pretty solid strategy.

My own suspicion is that building off of one of the games that was released during the short burst of “spy drama” RPGs – Hollowpoint, Blowback, or Killshot – would get you the vast bulk of the way to where you want to be in terms of system positioning. That all of the above have a sort of “mission oriented” design plays into what you’re looking to achieve; even the dungeon crawling events are effectively just missions with specific parameters, which should work fairly neatly.

• Yeah, I know the first thing that came to mind when I was pouring this idea out of my head, was Xcrawl. I like the concept of the game, but I am not a fan of really anything else in that book. What I am kinda going for is a more detailed version of Contenders at least from a mechanical approach.

I don't have any real notion of selling it, or even showing it to other people (I can not take criticism, hell I can not take praise without getting upset).

• Like Contenders, you say – with more mechanical crunch and stuff going on?

Have you seen Joe Prince’s follow-up to Contenders, Eternal Contenders? It takes the Contenders engine, essentially, and moves it to a fantasy setting in which the PCs are assumed to be – well – the best way to summarize it is “characters in a 2-D side scrolling fighting game.” Not for the actual combat mechanics themselves – those you’re already familiar with – but because their backgrounds are all hinged around their personal dreams and aspirations, and ritualized duels or gladiatorial combat are the primary kinds of physical conflicts the characters will get into (though there are mechanics to cover things like going on quests).

If you’re already a fan of Contenders, this might be right in the game space you’re looking for.

• edited October 2014
    I am familiar with it. I kinda prefer to reference Contenders, as it is a little simpler streamlined version of what I liked, which makes it easier to work with.