Vanilla 2.1 and You

edited October 2014 in Story Games
Hey all!

We're on new hardware, and Vanilla 2.1 (2.0, which we skipped almost entirely, is being deprecated at the end of the year).

We should be faster, and some of the edges a bit shinier. We have a dice roller, if that's your thing.

There are also no more Whispers. The plugin hasn't been updated. All your whispers have fallen out of conversations and into your inbox. If the plugin gets updated, we'll consider putting it back in.

If you run into problems, let me know!

We're also going to be experimenting with new themes over the next few days. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Comments

• I love you.
  • We're also going to be experimenting with new themes over the next few days. Feel free to let me know what you think.
    I mean, it's not exactly 90s-era MySpace, but I still hate the present theme SO MUCH. Start the experiments!

Or just make it look like it did last week, that would be cool too.
  • Nice work!

(But I second what Johnstone said.)
  • Took me a while to find the Mark All As Read option (it's under the gear icon.)

And an obligatory dice test: (Rolled: 4dF. Rolls: -, 0, +, -)
  • Yeah, I've sort of been waiting for the theme to change too. This is painful.

Also (I think this is totally on my end) but if the symbols in the upper right or along the right side of the posts on the main screen all appear as rectangles in my browser, does anyone know what I have configured wrong?
  • edited October 2014
    Try right clicking them and see if you can force a download. The icons will then be in your cache.

I had a similar thing happen with a different site.
  • edited October 2014
    I notice that it's not possible to edit old posts. Can this be changed somehow? Because it's been splendid before when I started to create a table of content in my thread We Know So Little of Our Hobby.

(Also, one hour edit.)
  • Do you need to install the app to use the dice roller, or is it native?

(Rolled: 3d6. Rolls: 1, 5, 1. Total: 7)
  • I guess it's native! Nice.
  • Hey, @Rickard, I fixed that setting, you should be able to edit old posts again.

Look, it's a new (old) theme!
  • Weee × 2!
  • James is da man.
    And to think he did all this with Mercury in retrograde!

• And I can see the icons again!
  • How does the current software decide whether to paint a yellow highlighted new posts block?
  • Yeah, speaking of that, the yellow square being the most-visible thing on the screen is pretty annoying. I seem to remember that being an issue last time the forums transitioned to a new theme, too.
  • edited October 2014
    OH JESUS THE AT SIGNS WORK NOW

Better. They still stand out more than the un-bolded titles. I think I prefer the background colour indicating whether a thread has been viewed or not, but thats maybe just one of those things I will eventually get used to. I feel like the thread titles should be the thing that stands out the most on the page, though, you know?

Edit: Hm, no wait. So the background colour is just for whether I've looked at a thread at all or not? And is the new box just for new posts in threads I've already looked at?
  • edited October 2014
    By the way, I accept donations of CSS.
  • I don't see applications to approve or reject anymore. Is this now located somewhere else or -- please pretty please -- does this version actually filter out the 200 spam applications we get each day?
  • I set it up to filter out all the spam applications! That is a huge relief to me too. You can see the application queue under the settings gear.
  • edited October 2014
    @James_Stuart - I'm a CSS wiz and I'll gladly donate. But it's a tough room with many opinions in it. If you tell me what you want styled, I'll style it.

• Oh, thanks, I mean, I can do CSS too. I'm just saying more generally, if you have concrete CSS (or easier, for those less tech savvy: color this that way), I'll at least try it out.
  • I like the blue tones. Goes nicely with my logo. :-)

• I know absolutely nothing about CSS or any other programming thing.

Is there a way to save an entire thread to pdf or something? Like, as opposed to File > Save As > txt or html, I mean.
  • edited October 2014
    Yeah your browser's standard "File / Save As" will just allow you to save in either HTML or text formats. For saving to PDF you would need to install a plugin. I know there are at least two of them available for Firefox. If you're a Firefox user, go to Tools > Add-Ons and search for "PDF". If you use a different browser, I'm sure someone here can provide an analog.

• Chrome by default prints to PDF.
  • I dunno how easy it is to change but the various color shifts (yellow "new posts" boxes and bg of read threads) didn't apply to the mobile site.
  • Whoah.

Looks nice! I'm seeing a clean white with light blue interface, I don't know whether that's the new default style—it's not whatever I was using in the old version—but I like it a lot.

Thanks for all the hard work!
  • I tend to browse the site on my smartphone a lot of the time and am over the moon that I can finally select a specific category to browse, which I wasn't able to do with the old version. It's also a much nicer, cleaner and far more smartphone friendly interface now. Good job. Well done.
  • I like how I can find a "mark all viewed" link now.

My suggestion: put "mark all viewed" as a button above the "new discussion" button, with a third "see random discussion" button underneath.

Then three buttons would be "make something happen" whereas all the links are for "go to that existing place".
  • I'm confused by the new scheme... It used to be that threads with unread posts were highlighted. Now it seems that threads that have been read are highlighted...''

Frank
  • edited October 2014
    I believe read threads are highlighted while unread threads are bold.
  • On a different topic:

As far as I can see, now when you look at a thread (on the homepage), you cannot see who started the thread (only the latest comment).

Is this intentional?

I know a lot of people liked seeing the author of a given thread, myself included.

(However, I also know that there may be good reasons for hiding that information.)
  • We need a favicon.

• As far as I can see, now when you look at a thread (on the homepage), you cannot see who started the thread (only the latest comment).

Is this intentional?

I know a lot of people liked seeing the author of a given thread, myself included.

(However, I also know that there may be good reasons for hiding that information.)
    Including both might be too crowded. Perhaps a user setting to chose which is shown?
  • As much as I love the conversations here, of all the forums I'm engaged in, this one is by far the most confusing platform.
    I don't know why, I find it really hard to get a good overview of the posts here.
  • I feel like it's certainly much harder now than it was a few weeks ago. But I'm still hopeful that it's learning curve and I'll figure it out.
  • To be fair: the new 2.1 feels slightly more intuitive and appealing in design.
  • I logged back onto story-games after an RPG hiatus to start talking about Fate Core (which I haven't played) and Shadow of Yesterday and noticed that you guys are using the dice roller plugin I made for Vanilla for a TSoY PbP game a couple years ago (hence the fudge dice support). I'm really glad someone is getting some use out of it!
  • Gratuitous rolling plug. (Rolled: 3dF. Rolls: -, +, 0)
  • Yeah, as a Fate fan, I'm also happy about the Fudge dice 4dF
    Can I fake it? (Rolled: 4dF. Rolls: -, +, 0, +)

POTENTIAL CHEATING DETECTED. If it appears that dice were rolled in this post, they may need to be disregarded as fabricated.
  • Obviously not soo easy, sweet :)
    (Rolled: 4dF. Rolls: +, 0, 0, 0)
  • Huh, anti-cheating heuristics? Cool.

Security invites hacking!

Rolled: 10dF. Rolls: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
  • You've left out a bracket!! :)
  • Darn, forgot the front parenthesis.

(Rolled: 10dF. Rolls: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
  • edited November 2014
    Yeah, the probability to roll that is 1:59049
    But anyway, it is not un-cheatable, indeed.
  • Well, that didn't take too long. :P

In the meantime, no one has any thoughts or opinions on thread originators' names not being visible on the forum anymore? I'd have thought this would be a major topic (we've definitely had some pretty major debates about it in the past).
  • I personally don't see it as a major issue. I prefer it being visible (it's a real part of the social context of the thread, just like its title, age and post count), but if it's truly significant information, you can add it to the title.

"[Eero] I am so smart" just rolls off the tongue as a thread title :D
  • I haven't been able to see people's applications to approve. My gear icon shows a number that varies, but when I click on it I only get the options to edit profile, mark viewed, or log out. Nothing that relates to that number.
  • In the meantime, no one has any thoughts or opinions on thread originators' names not being visible on the forum anymore? I'd have thought this would be a major topic (we've definitely had some pretty major debates about it in the past).
    Well, I know that seeing thread originators' names leads to situations like when you see a thread started by a certain member and you think "nope, don't need to read that thread," and then they get banned for starting that thread, and you say to yourself, sarcastically, "nope, couldn't see that coming."