Please Critique This Rough Draft Advantage Sheet (Fear The Living)

Hello again!

After getting such a wave of insightful constructive criticism on Fear The Living's Survivor Sheet, I'm back again with Craig Judd/Shiro's most recent project: A Success Record Sheet For Conflicts

For those of you who don't know, Fear The Living is my recently-Kickstarted zombie apocalypse roleplaying game that makes use of a d6 dice pool system. When survivors get into a Conflict (which can be anything from a shouting match over who gets that gun you scavenged from Uncle Bob's Spray-and-Pray (tm), to fighting off a horde of child-zombies at your nephew's 6th birthday party, to fixing a broken-down Prius while you try to figure out if your lover is cheating on you. And what his intentions were in speaking late at night with Chet and his group. You know they have it in for you after that incident with the chainsaw...)

Once the scene has been set, players and the GM put their respective character's dicepools together and roll them, with 4s and higher counting as successes and 1s giving the GM Entropy, which they use to bring zombies into play, complicate the efforts of player's survivors, and generally make things go hilariously and horribly wrong in true zombie-movie fashion.

Once everyone's rolled their dice, they spend the Successes they've gained on Advantages which represent the effects of their efforts. There aren't any turns in this game, or any initiative: people go when they want to, and if there's a fight over who gets off a shot first or some such, all involved parties just spend successes on the goal of "going first". Instead, everyone spends successes as they wish until the Conflict is resolved or until everyone's spent all of their successes (in which case everyone puts together their dice pools again and repeats the process).

The Advantage record sheet linked above is there to give people a visual interface to work with, as well as a way for players and the GM to keep track of what people have spent successes on.The idea is for people to take those dice that have come up 4 or higher and place them in the box of the Advantage that they're spending them on, with the text in each box being there to remind folks of what each Advantage does when you spend successes there.

Here's what I'm looking for as far as feedback goes:

[*]Is it aesthetically pleasing?
[*]Do the icons for each Advantage give you some idea of what the Advantage is all about?
[*]Is the text inside each Advantage box easy to read, and does it provide a useful summary of each Advantages effects?
[*]What, if anything would you add to the sheet to make it more appealing or useful as a play-aid?
[*]What, if anything would you remove from the sheet to make it more appealing or more useful as a play-aid?
[*]Any other thoughts, feelings, opinions, or angry (yet amusing) rants you care to share about the Advantage sheet.
[/LIST]

I eagerly await your feedback and thoughts on the Advantage sheet. I'll be posting this rough draft up on the KS site and on RPGnet as well to get additional feedback on the layout/usability so that I get as many points of view as possible.

Regards,

-John

Comments

• Sup John,

The link is malformed - it's https// when it should be https:// . It's the little things!

[*]Aesthetically pleasing: yes, it looks nice. I feel like the AFMBE font might be a little overdone but that's just me being hipster, it fits and it's not illegible so it's fine. :)
    [*]Icons: those all look good. Did you get those from game-icons.net?
    [*]Legibility: it's readable, but I'm curious how it would look left justified instead of centered. I also feel like most of them could be broken down into bullet points-

=Name a short-term goal
    =Spend successes to beat Risks and competitors

=Be in position to harm target
    =Spend successes to do damage
    =Inflict one point of damage per success spent
    =Damage type is based on the weapon (what are the damage types? Is this necessary to mention?)
    =Area damage may target a group

-I'm not sure if it would look better this way, but they "feel" a little verbose for the real estate.
    [*]Add to the sheet: hard to say without comprehensive knowledge of the game. What are successes? They look important, is there room to define them on the sheet? How do you acquire successes? Is there room for a success pool/tracker?
    [*]Remove from the sheet: the top logo is using a big chunk of space. I'd trade it in a heartbeat for some answers to the questions above.
    [*]Random: I feel like two dudes could Bribe each other right up to level 20. "I dare you to open that door!" "Done, I'll give you a high five if you search that cabinet!" "You got it bro! Experience is awesome!" Maybe it should be -to do something against their better interest? Maybe it is and the sheet just doesn't have room to say?
  • [*]Is it aesthetically pleasing?

I think it looks very nice. I would love to see some color, especially some blood red, as it would match the theme, but the b/w is nice enough.

[*]Do the icons for each Advantage give you some idea of what the Advantage is all about?

Some much more than others. For example, the icons for Bribe, Heal, Inquire, and Avoid fit perfectly. The others a bit less so, but since the text is already there, it's not a big deal.

[*]Is the text inside each Advantage box easy to read, and does it provide a useful summary of each Advantages effects?

Yes.

[*]What, if anything would you add to the sheet to make it more appealing or useful as a play-aid?

Like I mentioned above, some color, if possible.
    [*]What, if anything would you remove from the sheet to make it more appealing or more useful as a play-aid?

It's pretty sparse and neat as it is.