[Too Far?] - The Devil's RPG Dictionary

edited August 2014 in Make Stuff!
Here is a new game. These are the rules, and this is the gameplay thread.
"This is the time, and this is the record of the time." - Laurie Anderson
  1. A thread shall be started called "The Devil's RPG Dictionary". This is it.
  2. The general idea and Tone Of The Game is that Participants shall enter Definitions of RPG terms in the manner and style of Ambrose Bierce's original "The Devil's Dictionary". To wit --
    PERSEVERANCE, n. A lowly virtue whereby mediocrity achieves an inglorious success.
    The sole Principle Of The Game is that Participants must adhere to the Tone Of The Game.
  3. A Turn consists of a person posting a single Definition. There is no Turn Order. To be permissible as a Turn, this post must include no other content than the Definition itself.
  4. A Permissible Definition must follow the syntax of the above example, and must be placed within an HTML "blockquote" tag. This is to facilitate the work of Compilers (see below), who may then simply search through the HTML for blockquotes.
  5. All posts which aren't Turns - including technicalities - are considered to be no more than Casual Conversation. All Conversation in this game is Casual.
  6. Multiple Definitions may be entered for a single term. Whenever that happens, all interested Participants shall post their votes by quoting the Definition they prefer and adding a "+1" to that post. Additional content may follow the +1, should they care to explain themselves.
  7. Winning Definitions will be judged by voting Participants on the basis of their Brevity, Wit, Smugness, Sardonicism, Worldliness and Ironic Applicability.
  8. The submission of a Definition is considered a +1 by its own author for purposes of voting and for determining winning entries.
  9. A Participant who believes that a Definition isn't of winning caliber has two options: (a) they can submit their own Definition and try to get more +1s than the previous winner, or (b) they can get all pissy about it in Casual Conversation.
  10. In keeping with the Tone Of The Game, the most smarmishly vituperative Definitions will tend to be the winning ones. Therefore it is likely that the winning Definitions for a given term will often come from people who are the most opposed to the implications of the term itself, or who consider themselves to stand outside of the term itself. Personal experience is no qualifier here.
  11. From time to time, willing Participants may take it upon themselves to go through the thread, gathering up all the winning Definitions, arranging them in alphabetical order and compiling them into a document which they may then link to from this thread. In the case of ties, both definitions shall be considered equally viable. The first shall be referred to as "Definition 1", the second "Definition 2" etc. These volunteer Compilers have the right to add their names to the document as a byline (e.g. "Compiled by Jocko Homo"). No other credits may be included in the document, except for a blanket creative credit to "The Story-games.com Community".
Let the definitions begin.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    "THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY, n. An attempt to prove jargon is not important, ironically by focusing entirely on jargon."
  • edited August 2014
    "DICE, n, pl, a mechanical-narrative device by which cowardly players may unilaterally absolve themselves of responsibility."
  • "PLAYER CHARACTER, n. A common form of alibi employed by players of role-playing games."

• "ACTOR STANCE, n. A posture commonly adopted by a roleplayer attempting to curry favour from strangers on the Internet."
  • "RULEBOOK, n. An obsolete and retrograde item which shall not be dwelt upon further."

• "RAILROADING, n. An act in which a slave and a master conspire to build a road of steel through fantastic landscapes, but it is quite unknown to them which is the master and which the slave."
  • edited August 2014
    ROLEPLAYING GAME, n. A set of formal guidelines by struggling with which people who have no life may imagine that they have more than one.
  • "MECHANICS, n. The vestigial and overly abstracted elements of an RPG that allow players to convince themselves it's more than playing pretend."
  • Why are you guys making fun of other people. Do you believe it is not hurtful or do you enjoy it being hurtful.
  • I like the project, but for a RPG board it's not that cool. Bierce did his in installments in the marginalia of a newspaper. Let's find a zine for it.
  • Why are you guys making fun of other people. Do you believe it is not hurtful or do you enjoy it being hurtful.
    I'm sure we see this as making fun of ourselves. A little self deprecative humor is all.

• edited August 2014
    CRITICISM, n. The nagging suspicion that someone is having fun you don't understand.
  • DEFINITION, n. The artifice created by a liar in the hopes of suborning other liars into a conspiracy against the unwitting.

DICTIONARY, n. The inevitable product of such a conspiracy, should it prove even moderately successful.
    I'm sure we see this as making fun of ourselves. A little self deprecative humor is all.

Ditto. Heck, I love throwing dice in games. And I'm a big believer in how mechanics matter to a game. Rulebooks can be very important.

Take, for instance, the following quote from The Devil's Dictionary (the original, that is) to get a better idea of the spirit in which this is meant: "BARD, n. A person who makes rhymes. The word is one of the numerous aliases under which the poet seeks to veil his identity and escape opprobrium."

By linking up with said book, I think the intent and flavor of this game is immensely clarified. It's meant to be silly and intentionally faux-smug.
  • edited August 2014
    ROLL, verb. Move in a particular direction by turning over and over on an axis.
    Dice are used to ROLL from the hand with an action similar to masturbation.
    Large hand fulls of dice can be released haphazardly commonly called the vinegar stroke.

• edited August 2014
    SOLO ROLEPLAYING GAME, n. An even sadder version of ROLEPLAYING GAME. See ROLEPLAYING GAME and also FANFIC AUTHOR.

• I used to have the original and I have a collection of Bierce’s short stories.
    It still makes me sad.

Yes I hate my life.
    Yes I wish I had more friends.
    Yes I want to play the game to escape from here.
    Not funny.
  • edited August 2014
    MAKING FUN OF OTHER PEOPLE, n. The inevitable collateral damage that occurs when one makes fun of oneself, because, as they say, "no man is an island." Unless perhaps he is floating in the ocean, I suppose, so one might rather prefer the phrase, "Drizzt ain't real."

ROLE-PLAYING GAME, n. An activity whereby those who can play neither a role nor a game properly may pretend to do both, while also protesting that their fellow participants, whether they are present or not, are doing it wrong.

STORY GAME, n. An activity whereby those who wish to neither tell a story nor follow the rules of a game may pretend to do both, while also destroying other games, whether those games are present or not.
  • edited August 2014
    Even though he spells it differently than I do, I think Johnstone and I are in competition for the definition of "Roleplaying Game".
    If that sounds true, then cast yer votes, maties!

• edited August 2014
    Probably no one will vote, thus proving that my definition of story game is actually true and not just irony.
  • An activity whereby those who can play neither a role nor a game properly may pretend to do both
    I want to learn to do it better than I have in the past.
  • @2097 - I just want you to learn to laugh. In other words:
    Lighten up, chica! This is a gameplay thread! Play with us!

• edited August 2014
    Yeah, this is a big "hug and make up" thread, for shared laughter only.

(There's a longstanding tradition of such threads here on S-G!)

As someone pointed out in the first linked thread:

I'm glad that we are making bold steps to clear up confusion. I can just imagine the relief of other boards when we inform them.
  • ILLUSIONISM, n. Pretending that what you're pretending isn't pretend pretending, but actual pretending.
  • edited August 2014
    GAMISM, NARRATIVISM, SIMULATIONISM, nouns. Flags for those whose actual play cannot be easily categorized to rally around, in an illusion of unity that continues to tantalize long after complete disparity is proven.
    ACTUAL PLAY, n. Something that cannot be easily categorized.
  • Casual note to all who have placed a Definition without surrounding it via the "quote" button:
    By the RAW these are not permissible as Turns. Unless edited, they are Casual Conversation posts. Like this one!

• As someone pointed out in the first linked thread:

I'm glad that we are making bold steps to clear up confusion. I can just imagine the relief of other boards when we inform them.
    Eight years later, I still laughed out loud when I got to that point in the thread, again.

• ROLEPLAYING GAME, n. A set of formal guidelines by struggling with which people who have no life may imagine that they have more than one.
    +1
    ROLE-PLAYING GAME, n. An activity whereby those who can play neither a role nor a game properly may pretend to do both, while also protesting that their fellow participants, whether they are present or not, are doing it wrong.
    +1

(Yes, I'm +1-ing both of them. Take that!)
  • ROLL-PLAYING GAME, n. A bugaboo allowing frustrated drama-school rejects to disparage the behavior of others who manage to enjoy the experience of a ROLE-PLAYING GAME (q.v.) without all that overacting and speaking in mangled mock-Middle-English.
  • NARRATIVISM: 'cause clearly you'd write better fiction than all those authors or screenplay writers.
  • "PLAYER CHARACTER, n. A common form of alibi employed by players of role-playing games."
  • edited August 2014
    SIMULATIONIST, adj. Oblique, derogatory euphemism by which other people's play can be labeled, concealing intellectual insult under a thin veneer of equality.
  • edited August 2014
    INDIE RPG, noun. The philosophers stone of the pretentious alchemist; that wonder by which an 8 track recording of a vacuum left on in an empty apartment may be transformed into a game's subject.
  • THE FORGE GLOSSARY, n. See THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY.
  • NON PLAYER CHARACTER, noun. a person who is present, and intended to play a character, at a role-playing game but does not take part in the event.
  • GAME-MASTER, n. A player who can't decide on what character to play.
  • edited August 2014
    MAINSTREAM, The, N. A fantasy world known to pop culture and folklore. Usually depicted as a place overflowing with money, abundant mating opportunities, but also marred by vice, moral bankruptcy or plain dullness. Sought as a promised land just as often as it is reviled as abominable.
  • edited August 2014
    Withdrawn.

Sorry.
  • SIMULATIONIST, adj. Oblique, derogatory euphemism by which other people's play can be labeled, concealing intellectual insult under a thin veneer of equality.
    +1
  • ILLUSIONISM, n. Pretending that what you're pretending isn't pretend pretending, but actual pretending.
    +1
  • DICE, n. = See Stones
    STONES, n. = See Bones
    BONES, n. = See Dice
  • edited January 2015
    I have compiled Edition 1 of the DRPGD, which can be downloaded here.
    Have a nice day. The computer is your friend.