[Blogs Against Humanity] Gameplay Questions

edited April 2014 in Story Games
Recently some friends and I played Blogs Against Humanity (the 2013 version), and I had a few questions. I asked Mendel if we could discuss them here, and here we are.

First off, we had a blast. It was great for downramping after a game of DREAD earlier that night. But here are some of the things that made us go "hmm?":

- The intro says you need a d20 but if I'm not mistaken, there is no roll that calls for it.

- The rule about increasing your Tier... I think I now understand that that's supposed to happen right smack in the middle of the adding process, so if I had 19 followers and added 6, I'd take 1 of the 6 to go up to 20, then raise my tier and drop followers to 2, and THEN add the other 5. Is that right? If so, we were doing it wrong; we just truncated them to 2 and sacrificed the 5.

- When you troll and "give" someone points. We debated the word "give". Does that mean I lose one of mine and you gain it? (or alternately, I take one of yours?) We decided no, the new follower just arrives out of nowhere or goes back to nowhere, but I wanted to check with you.

- When you roll an advance. This table seems to be missing a result for 4?

- When You Start the News Cycle. We had two players with equal numbers of followers, both tier 0 of course. No big deal (we rolled a d6 for it), but there it is.

Comments

• I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you!

The d20 is for tracking followers, since it changes so often.

The rules for adding followers do carry the overflow into the next tier. It's worded a bit awkwardly, I described the overflow as "followers you are due". That definitely needs a reworking.

You played trolling the way I intended, there's no exchange of followers just gaining and losing them. Another place I need to rephrase things.

Both a tie breaker rule (which would be what you did in any case) and an advance table result for 4 are missing.

All and all, I should be able to roll this into a revision this weekend.

If you don't mind I have a few questions about how topics and commenting went:
    Did folks give props, plug, and troll fairly often, or did one of the options not come up nearly so much?
    Where there any cards that you found problematic? I'm especially curious if any trolling happened with a pick 2 or pick 3 card, and how that went.

Thank you again,

- Mendel
  • No, thank you!

I still don't understand about the d20. Must be missing something. When is it used?

Answers to your questions:

I think we had a good mix of moves. Props got used less often than the others, but I think that's to be expected since it's the only totally altruistic move in the game.

As for problematic cards... Some black cards lend themselves better to this treatment than others. Luckily we didn't get any doubles or triples. But we did have trouble figuring out how exactly a "Troll" was supposed to work in the first place. First we weren't clear how it was to be phrased (should it be fleshed out or just read straight? Should the chosen answer be read inside the black one as a single statement, or selected after reading the black card aloud?). Many of our Trolls didn't really feel like "stupid arguments" so much as "non-sequiters" (which is a valid form of sarcasm, just not really strongly related to the topic at hand). I got the feeling that writing down their favorite response (on a troll move) felt like "work" to some people (by this time it was very late and players were getting lazy).
  • Since the number of followers is always a number between 1 and 20, you can use the d20 to track that number rather than writing it down. So no, you don't ever roll it.

I'm fond of the Trolling mechanic in my own experience, but I should probably do some direct intensive testing of it - like taking a game of Cards Against Humanity and running a few rounds as Trolling instead of the usual rules. The creative implication of Trolling is that being on the right side of a flame war (i.e. not alienating more followers than you impress) often involves guessing between two or more pretty silly positions.