Play by Forum

edited April 2014 in Story Games
Is anyone doing something cool via Play by Forum? Where? What sort of game? I have plenty of free moments over a given day, but a kind of crazy schedule overall that limits face-to-face gaming. Understanding that PbF can be frustratingly slow (and often fizzles out), I'd still love to try getting my game on in this way. I'd even be open to running something after playing for a bit.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    I'm not playing anything there right now, though I've sure spent my share of time on the site, but Snail's Pace was built just for PBP.
  • I've toyed for, like, forever with the idea of developing a "modenr" PbF ruleset were system matters... but I've never finalized anything.
    I was very interested (and played for a little bit) with what happened with The Lattice
  • edited April 2014
    My schedule is similarly fluxxy. I'd be interested in joining a PBF as well. In fact I'd even be willing to build the forum for it.

PS - it's not an RPG, but there's an open PBF playtest of "Watch the World Die" going on right here.
  • Yes! Storium is pretty great for PBF. The (light) mechanics do a great job of balancing contribution, giving you some pacing on when to wrap a scene, and get a nice mix of success/failure.
  • As far as games created just for play-by-forum, there's Storium, which is about to go into Kickstarter. It's a blend of storytelling and some light mechanics, uses a GM and has a number of pre-generated starter scenarios (I see each scenario more like Lady Blackbird than a pre-written module).

Also, there is a new "play-by-email" game by Brad Murray (of VSCA, maker of Hollowpoint and Diaspora) called Callisto. It can support numerous players and has more of a long-form approach to moves, which are "in character" letters between players with the GM as an intermediary to keep up the world as it is being built.

I've found great success porting the Apocalypse World game over to PBF pretty much as is. I'm running a game set in Chicago after the next Ice Age right now and playing in an AW game of eternal darkness in the pseudo-50s America as well. Good fun. Plus, AW moves everything along pretty fast.

@AsIf and @WPTunes, are you interested in playing some Apocalypse World? I might be able to get a game of it going if we have enough interested players.
  • @orklord - consider me in, bro.
  • In for sure.
  • Sweet! OK, guys, I'll hit you up off the forum and work out some details.

Anyone else interested in an AW PBF, let me know.
  • I am playing in an OD&D game (been playing for almost 6 years now) and running an OD&D game (for almost a year) on the OD&D boards:

The game I am running (which could be open to one or two players):

http://odd74.proboards.com/board/96/franks-wilderlands-csio-od

And the game I am playing in:

http://odd74.proboards.com/board/54/makofan-online-od

Pace is definitely slow (and my game has almost been derailed by the arrival of a new baby).

Frank

• edited April 2014
    Is anyone doing something cool via Play by Forum? Where? What sort of game?
    I happen to be running a solo FAE game using Story Cubes and the Mythic GME over at the Fear the Boot forum. Custom world/setting that's half inspired and half randomized. In some ways, it's more about creative writing using an RPG and gamer tools than purely PbF. One of the things that I did was put all the game mechanics in spoiler text so you could more or less read it like a story. Well, at least I think it's cool. :-)
    Tephra Falls: Children of Ash
    --
    TAZ
  • @ChristopherWeeks I'm going to set it up on a private forum using a newer version of Vanilla (same software powering Snails Pace). Do you want in?
  • edited April 2014
    I am just finishing (as in, we have at most 3 scenes to go) a game called The City by Night (link to episode summaries, characters, etc.), which used the DramaSystem engine from Hillfolk to play out a modern-day vampires story.

The game started about a year ago, and is on RPG.net: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?697240-DramaSystem-The-City-by-Night

So it's too late for anyone new to join but I hope it's a useful example, in both positive and negative ways.
    For me it has been a big success in two major ways: no one dropped out, and we've made it to the end. PbFs often fade away to nothing - and they do it slowly, which kind of makes it worse. So I'm very pleased with how this has gone.

Some of the ways that standard DramaSystem doesn't lend itself to PbF have come to light. For example, the back-and-forth between players and GM for task resolution absolutely has to be altered so that you can accomplish it in as few posts as possible. We had players in time zones stretching from Hong Kong (me) to Brazil, so each extra post can add a lot of turnaround time.

• I am just finishing (as in, we have at most 3 scenes to go) a game called The City by Night (link to episode summaries, characters, etc.), which used the DramaSystem engine from Hillfolk to play out a modern-day vampires story.

As soon as I saw the Hillfolk rules, I thought it'd be an amazing system for a Near Dark or 30 Days of Night style vampire game, with a strong probability of leaning more toward the "vampires as predators" side rather than the played-out White Wolf "vampires as political analogue" side.
  • Certainly interested in an AW game.
  • Count me in for AW!
  • I'm interested! I'd love to play AW with people who really grok the system and how to use it.
  • So, is the Marmot in play? ;)
  • edited April 2014
    I'm considering what sort of functionality would be good for a custom Drupal forum system dedicated to enabling or augmenting storygame play. Yes, I'm actually considering building such a thing. I would be interested in hearing any feature suggestions.
  • I am necroing this thread to declare that our Apocalypse World Play-by-post is live and HOLY CRAP IT IS AMAZEBALLS!