Crazy books and free association

edited March 2014 in The Sandbox
There are some crazy, undecipherable books out there. Let's look at a couple of them, and consider what it would mean were they actually translated. What would the Codex Seraphinianus tell, say, a mage or diabolist? Likewise the Codex Rohonczi?

I'm seeing a travel log into another dimension and detailed instructions for the creation of life.

Sorcerer, Tremulous... I see lots of potential in these texts.

Comments

• Just thinking how this could be used in-game. It might be cool to get players to draw out the runes and sigils in their spellbooks and collate that into some kind of undecipherable playbook-prop. Of ill-defined use but totally cool as a relic of play. Maybe award a new spell for each page illustrated? Depends on how much you want your players to have this kind of at-table activity.
  • Just thought I'd plug the Voynich Manuscript.

I can definitely see gaming potential in the activity of "interpreting" these manuscripts. Kind of like a Rorschach or TAT test. Something like the Spout Lore move in Dungeon World?

• Funnily enough, the Voynich Manuscript might not be a mystery for long.

Though this is still my favourite explanation.
  • edited March 2014
    Though this is still my favourite explanation.
    Hm.. makes me want to write a freeform about a group of excitable Shakespearean actors playing D&D.

For a bonus point, which BRP-based game has on the front cover of its core rulebook a character wearing an XKCD t-shirt?

• For a bonus point, which BRP-based game has on the front cover of its core rulebook a character wearing an XKCD t-shirt?
    Ooh! Ooh! The Laundry RPG!

• Well done sir!
  • Druids and Dicotyledons for the win!
  • edited April 2014
    Now you've got me stumped :s

• Ooh! Ooh! The Laundry RPG!

Ha ha, this looks brilliant. Sounds like an Edgar Wright movie in the making.
  • edited April 2014
    ANNOUNCEMENT: We regret that due to high running costs, association is no longer free. Until further notice there will be a charge of $6.99 for the first post per user, and $2.99 for each follow-on post.
  • edited April 2014
    Deleted. Posted in error :s