[DayTrippers] - Opensource Game Development

edited March 2014 in Make Stuff!
In some sun-bleached barn outside Sacramento, CA c. 2099 a group of physicists, shady g-men, grad-students, tourists and an array of amateur explorers and nü-gonzo-revivalist writer-dudes gather around a collection of strange vehicles that resemble lunar landers. Each is painted a garish colour and prepped to "shift" along an angle of slippage into a crazy new plane of existence. Their mission, in the words of Gene Roddenberry, is to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before. These are the voyages of the DayTrippers.

Each Daytripper is equipped with enough fuel to support its crew and dimensional-shift engines for, predictably enough, one day. The idea is simple: slip into alternate universes and pocket dimensions, steal, trade or plunder enough goodies to pay for the next trip, ship upgrades and your student loans. The other end of the universe is a crazy place, filled with strange, dark cities, glowing swamps and crystal spires under mysterious stars. Danger bounds, but so do the riches. Time to zip-up that Automated Survival Suit and seal those pods tight! Let's slip-n-slide!
This is the thread for the opensource development of "DayTrippers" - an OSR approach to a surrealistic science-fiction multiversal milieu, in which an assortment of colorful character classes pilot unique machines into divergent universes to retrieve items of value and bring them back home.

I'm just going to repost everyone's contributions so far, to keep them all in one place. The seed concept was submitted by Potemkin and can be found here. All interested designers are encouraged to contribute, create, critique, and be constructive to the rules in other ways that don't necessarily begin with "c". All interested GMs are encouraged to crib, copy, customize, and playtest these rules, both individually and (as the system gels) in tandem. As various rules or subsystems become "complete" they will be published in PDF format and linked from here.

Note that EVERYTHING HERE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE as better ideas come along.

• edited March 2014
    Character Classes - [characters][concept][draft] - extracted & elucidated by Paul_T

Government Agent
    Grad Student
    Amateur Explorer
    Gonzo Writer

These are your classes. Everyone starts at level 1, of course, with different skills, expertise, and resources. This is not a game where you play some famous explorer who's already seen everything, and test his philosophies and values: we start from the very first voyage into the unknown, and, in the process, discover who the characters really are (if they survive long enough, of course).

Random character creation is perfect for this. ("Oh, great, I rolled up a gonzo-revivalist writer-dude... at least I have high Charisma.")

"The idea is simple: [...] steal, trade or plunder enough goodies to pay for the next trip, ship upgrades and your student loans."

Just like D&D, the goal is simple and easy measurable: you enter an unfamiliar environment and try to get out alive with some valuables. Fail at this, and you're out.
  • edited March 2014
    Destination Generation - [mechanic][concept][draft] - AsIf

Creating a Daytrip Destination:
    - Determine axes of slippage
    - Determine degree of slippage along each axis
    - Determine the resulting "reality type"
    - Determine specific details, hardships, and maguffins
    - Create Locations/NPCs/Objects/Events

When I say "Determine", I'm talking about something that could be a random process with a solo GM (roll on charts, draw cards, etc), or it could be a collaborative group process, or some combination of the two (structured brainstorming, etc).

Surrealistic Tweaks - [mechanic][concept][draft]
    Something like the below mechanics might be used to "tweak" aspects of a destination reality:

1. Which aspects of its reality have slipped compared to home-earth? Roll plus (something):
    A = Appearance
    B = Behaviour
    C = Meaning
    D = more than one

2. How far? Roll plus distance from sanity or whatever:
    A = direct allegory
    B = obscure connection (line from a song, antiquated figure of speech, free association by GM)
    C = totally random, will never be explained.

Explanation of terms: Appearance refers to observable physical details, Behaviour refers to mechanical functions (skills, dice rolls, etc), and Meaning refers to narrative/thematic purpose.
  • edited March 2014
    Play with Intent - [reference][surrealism] - Rickard
    Play With Intent has a section called Surreal. You can get a file with a nicer looking layout too.
  • edited March 2014
    Zayim Diaspora: The First of the DayTrippers - [exposition][concept][draft] - AsIf

March 21, 2097

Savant microfusion technologist and opensource homefab guru Zayim Diaspora completes construction on his unique vision for a "Temporal Resistance Amplification Pod" in his home workshop in Sacramento, California. The inner workings of the vehicle, a matter of highly contested debate in certain circles, are an application of Diaspora's radically new theories on the nature of reality. If it works as Diaspora claims, an onboard pilot will effectively direct the vehicle in "slipping" relative to the fourth dimension while shielding the vehicle from all other dimensional vectors of force. Few people in the world, even among his followers, claim to fully understand his work or its implications.

Over the last three years Diaspora has been working in an almost sleepless frenzy, his auto-broadcasted efforts unceasingly observed, recorded and archived, to be meticulously annotated and endlessly debated by a global audience of several thousand high-tech home-based tinkerers, many of whom see him as a role model, an exemplary champion of human technology and Promethean progress. The inventor has come under constant scrutiny and occasional threat by energy companies and investigative bodies both governmental and private, a fact which he not only admits but celebrates and lampoons. Unmarked black drones are seen frequently in the area of his 20-acre Sacramento ranch.

April 3, 2097

First Full-System test of TRA Pod 1, which due to its spindly appearance has been dubbed "Ariadne" by popular vote on DSource (the unofficial fancast of Diaspora Labs). The network audience watches astonished as the pod disappears in an explosion of red sparks...

...and then reappears two minutes and thirteen seconds later, facing in the opposite direction, its position displaced by a little more than a meter, the left side of its carbonex casing streaked with deep gashes and burns. The Ariadne lurches momentarily over a bent starboard forestrut and then collapses, rolling onto its side on the cement floor, smoking. The support crew rushes in to examine the vehicle. High levels of gamma and exotic spectral signatures radiate from the twisted pile, necessitating emergency security measures. As the crew dons hazmat suits and the overhead sprinklers shoot into action, Diaspora's arm slowly emerges from the vehicle. His quivering fingers tightly clutch something astonishingly black and highly reflective, roughly the size of an eightball. Upon extraction the eccentric inventor is incoherent and incontinent. He is quickly hospitalized.

Many weeks pass during which no news is heard. Speculation runs wild on all the major tech talknets. The mainstream media, encouraged by advertisers to dismiss Diaspora's theories, denounce the experiment as a ridiculous stunt and then quickly stop talking about it altogether. Jealous rivals and mainstream science pundits lambaste him on the talknets for failure to adhere to professionally-recommended safety practices and professionally accredited peer reviews. Someone points out that he never went to college. Conspiracy theories begin to circulate regarding the inventor's state of health, the reasons for his continued silence, the parties for whom he is suspected to have been working, and most especially, the nature of the object he brought back from wherever he was for two minutes and thirteen seconds on April third.

June 27, 2097

Shortly before midnight in an unscheduled transmission from his bedroom in Sacramento, Diaspora opens up a broadcast talknet and addresses anyone who wishes to listen. In the short but historical broadcast he announces that he will never again pilot a TRA Pod: His body is riddled with cancer, and he is not long for this Earth. His fondest wish, he pleads of the opensource community, is to see his theories successfully implemented. It is for this reason he has decided to release the hitherto-unpublished archive of fragmentary research and pure theory - some symbolic, some speculative - that fueled his mad dash during the creation of the ill-fated Ariadne.

Throughout the Summer, threadlines on DSource experience record-breaking amounts of traffic; new server slices are cloned repeatedly as freeventors and curious intellectuals from all over the world hurry to download the massive archive. Tens of thousands of copies are distributed to who-knows-where; most of them as digital souvenirs, never to be unpacked. Some are actually put to use. Several hundred crowdsourcing projects, technology corporations, independent labs and lone enthusiasts quickly ramp up to begin unit testing their own variations on the Diaspora Device.

With a renewed sense of vigor the mainstream media, assisted by government and corporate scientists wearing power ties and class rings, publicly discredits the man and his theories completely. Rivals and naysayers disparage his state of mind, calling his sanity into question. Conspiracy theorists wonder out loud whether the man in the broadcast was the real Zayim Diaspora at all.

October 6, 2097

Diaspora Labs hosts a gathering of microfusion enthusiasts and temporal shift experimenteurs at the California ranch, for what is expected to be the great man's final public appearance. Dozens of well-known independent talknet hosts and a few mainstream news reporters are present, minicams and backholo projectors at the ready. The ranch takes on a carnival-like atmosphere of techno-excitement. Diasporans of all types have brought prototypes of their own designs to set up throughout the rambling grassy area, interspersed with food booths and merch vendors. The black drones are noted to be in buzzing attendance, and sunglassed men in groups of two and three walk calmly and observantly around the grounds, speaking quietly into their lapels.

Shortly before sundown, Diaspora is pushed slowly out onto the main stage in a wheelchair, surrounded by his technical assistants and support crew. He is pale, wan, and speaks with great difficulty. His words are instantaneously transmitted around the world, to be streamed to storage units in geekdorms and parents' basements everywhere.

"My fellow Prometheans," he says to the quieting crowd, "in a manner of speaking, precisely although not completely, it shall-then appear evident that in this arrangement of forces seeming to be a place-time which you call today, the metaphorical I-here-now shall appear to pass from one apparently-arranged superstructural set of bounded frequencies into another which is equally stability-generating via the naturally-arisingness of its own heuristic feedback mechanisms as inverted and perceived from the exterior along a selected or determined angle-duration of slip - this is only relative to the dynamic tendencies of the positions to which its elements appear, of course - and yet, never have I not been here-now with you. And so."

He holds his bony hand aloft, gripping the eightball. "The seeming appearance of what you will discover to have recognized within your own inverted perception after what seems to be the event," he says, "is nothing but the selected or determined proof that it itself cannot be, and yet is, itself as it were providing subjective validation of all tendencies selected or determined by your own stability-generating feedback mechanisms as operating or operated under the imperative of your naturally-arisingness as perceived along a selected or determined angle-duration of slip, which by then-place you will, of course, have unrecognized." Withdrawing his hand, he fumbles for the walking-stick laying across his lap. The black sphere remains where he left it, hovering in mid-air.

# # #
  • edited March 2014
    More Game History - [exposition][concept][draft] - AsIf

Here's some stuff I assumed, but haven't said explicitly:

1. Diaspora (who I see as a fusion of Buckminster Fuller and Douglas Coulter) is about to die. The eightball? I dunno. You tell me.

2. He was wrong about temporal slip: there is not just one direction of time, there is a large (maybe infinite) number of potential slip-vectors along various axes.

3. He was not properly shielded from the massive influx of radiation that his body endured during his journey into the unknown; this is what caused his cancer and will later inspire some other inventor to create the Automated Survival Suit.

4. I don't know if Diaspora knows this yet, maybe it's discovered later by someone else, but it's important for the game conceit: You must return as CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to your original starting-point in your home Earth's spacetime. Failure to do so will result in your being eradicated from this reality (or something equally harsh). If you're lucky/willful/zen/crazy (pick one?) and your vehicle's resistance fields are powerful enough, you can offset maybe twenty-four hours of shift in either direction. This means that from an observer's perspective on Earth, the duration of your trip must be less than 1 Earth day.
  • edited March 2014
    Game World - [setting][concept][draft] - Potemkin
    For some reason the Daytrippers premise is set in the same world as Otomo's Akira in my head. And, of course, one of the "truths" revealed in the late-game is that Home-Earth is itself an alternate reality.
  • edited March 2014
    Ok, I'm just really flattered that Tod has grabbed this and run with it. I'm totally going to come back later and add a little more fiction - which I think is an amazing way of solidifying a setting. Colour first, yo.

I think it might be helpful if I told you what I imagined stories in Daytrippers could be like:

1.In one session the assembled suit up and are transported to an alien jungle world, meet "natives," play Conquistador perhaps?

2. The players travel to a vacuum filled with colossal crystal formations, perhaps the pod has propulsion and the crew mine crystals and have to fend off their protectors?

3. Our heroes travel to a known-angle of slippage that brings them out into a decadent city of the future where they are flattered and buddied into sharing the slippage technology with that society. Will they?

4. A pod has been stranded. No Return Probe has been received CA-side so it's assumed the worst has happened and the team is scrabbled to rescue the missing crew and uncover the awful truth of their predicament.

I was thinking a good way to keen the scenery fresh and surreal-feelin' would be to separate the Establishment of a scene and its Conclusion in a similar way to Fiasco - so you can either Establish a scene and the other players (or the DM) Resolve it's conflicts, or you can ask for one to be Established for you and to then Resolve the hot water the others/DM has put you in.
  • edited March 2014
    Oh, stop being flattered, it's a good idea!

SlipShips - [vehicles][creation][concept]

I was thinking about the SlipShips (huh? huh?) and how a player might build one. A series of choices and options tables adding up to a total cost, rather like setting up a dedicated server at a hosting company? I flashed back on the process of building and upgrading your car in "Car Wars", but with techno gadgetry and survival utilities instead of weaponry. (Anybody remember that hysterical catalog SJG would put out every year: "Uncle Albert's Auto Stop & Gunnery Shop"?)

We want all the ships to be unique, I think. Some are horsey government-contracted "cubes with legs". Some are like economy cars, tiny things built with tiny budgets. Some are sexy streamlined Richard Branson billionaire shit. Some of them are fucking crazy Rube Goldberg contraptions that look like they'll fall apart in a good wind.

• We want all the ships to be unique, I think. Some are horsey government-contracted "cubes with legs". Some are like economy cars, tiny things built with tiny budgets. Some are high-tech streamlined Richard Branson billionaire shit. Some of them are fucking crazy Rube Goldberg contraptions that look like they'll fall apart in a good wind.
    Yes, I like this. Do you remember Porco Rosso, the Japanese flick about a biplane-flying pig? I recall loving the antagonistic Airpirate gangs in that movie and how they had these wildly different seaplanes with team colours and symbols and stuff. Travelling on a shoestring is totally an option, as is the incorporation of zenotech. Might scare off your sponsors but the Well of Souls seems to keep the lights on. Maybe there's a little Thunderbirds/Stingray in here.

Slipships is hilarious! Generally I'd been calling them Daytrippers but pretty much any term (technical or affectionate) to designate the only vehicle the game concerns is fine. Maybe playgroups will develop their own terms?

• edited March 2014

I saw the PC and NPC adventurers as the "DayTrippers" and that's the name of the game. I think. Right? They go on DayTrips. The GM creates a DayTrip and the Player creates a DayTripper. But the DayTripper owns a ship, so I felt the ships themselves needed a name. But hey. Everything here is subject to the capricious winds of the interbrains.
  • edited March 2014
    I suppose any name works. Lets see what comes out in the fiction:

Tracy Island, otherwise known as Diaspora Ranch, is a modest holding nestled in California’s increasingly arid central valley a little under an hour out of Sacramento. The journey soon exits the freeway and my editor and me are forced to follow the satnav on manual steer and as we creep slowly towards the checkpoint an audible hum draws our attention to hot black military drones casting their shadows over the track before us. Were it not for the inhospitable terrain and reception, “the Hangar,” the Ranch’s main building thats clearly visible over the top of the squat patrol hut, might well be the most photographed barn in America. It’s the perfect picture of old timey rural America, hidden away in the golden grasses of historic Yolo County, but inside is the most outlandish cutting edges of intra-space technology – and today they’re taking me along with. Am I nervous? You betcha! Who knows what shit’s going befall this plucky reporter? I was there at Dispora’s last press conference and saw first-hand the ruined little man and his amazing treasure, the flying eight ball.
    The smooth, dark glass of the rock out of space-time distorts my reflection as it floats still in a special alcove on the far wall of the plasterboard reception office. There is a small, cheap plaque with Diaspora’s name. Despite the military personnel on the gate the first impression is one of a low rent law firm, once tasteful executive embellishments are now faded and dusty. The secretary chews gum and directs us lazily though into the Hangar. She does not offer to answer our questions. It’s all very hush hush. Only the floor of the reception hints at the busting hive of activity beyond the quaint wooden doors, the nylon carpet has been worn completely bare by the daily passing of what rightwing pundits have denounced as “madmen, terrorists and cosmic saboteurs.”
    Nigel Wainwright, chief engineer of the British-backed craft ‘Merlin 7,’ grins at me as he gives me the tour. “We’re comparatively confortable compared to some of the other engines in the field.” He gestures around at the bright team colours of the slip-pods, dappled under the strip-lighting and obscured by the barn’s low beams. Each ship is sunken into a 6 foot concrete well, but even then the tallest and more advanced designs have to had the ceiling cut away to accommodate them. Tracy Island was the fictional south-pacific base of the futuristic do-gooders International Rescue in the Thunderbirds TV show, a hidden base filled with underground rocket silos and secret gadgets feels like a suitable call-name for this place. The sound of arc welders and NPR mingles with the calls of ground crew in prefight preparation and the loudspeaker announcements blares the departures the timetable. There are only four windows for slippage today and I get to know the order well:
    “1316hrs Craft Designation Yamato angle 345.6 inclination point-oh-two; 1324hrs Craft Designation Shenzhou 16 angle 346.1 inclination point-oh-two; 1459hrs Craft Designation Ariadne 9 angle 7-actual inclination point-oh-nine; 1902hrs Craft Designation Merlin 7 angle 13.7 inclination point-oh-oh-two.” That last one’s us, I’m told, and we’re way too early, but Nigel is happy with the prep so far and agrees to tour us around what he describes as his home away from home with an eccentricity I’m not sure to put down to him being a brit or having spent a little too long looking into the void. Merlin 7 itself is a 23 foot tall craft that looks a lot like a big blue lunar lander. Large white stars have been painted on by the crew in the style of the Disney character’s robes. Thick cables connect Merlin to a bank of computers and it whirrs continuously, undercutting the general hangar din. It takes 12 hours to charge up for a slip and perform the required math. A platoon of karki-shorts wearing techies chat over coffee, e-ciggs and clipboards. It’s going well, it seems. My attention is drawn to a whiteboard and soon I’m getting a lecture in intra-space slippage.
    “You go through the centre of the earth!” says Nara Yoshitomo excitedly. Dr. Yoshitomo, recently of the Tokyo Institute of Aerospace Technology, draws a fast line downward through a blue circle. “The atoms of the craft are simply instantly accelerated beyond the speed of light and wham! You’re out the other side of the earth and away before you can even blink. Of course, the slightest leak in the hull and the whole thing is Annihilated without trace!” I can hear the capital a in Annihilated fall into place. In this business annihilation is a technical term, a real occupational hazard. “Of course, it means we never have to worry about trash disposal. Just tether it to the outside of the craft and it’s instantly atomised. The smell’s bad but it’s good for the planet.”
    “Or planets, rather.” Chips in Nigel. He confided in me that he must have seen at least nine of the elven alternate Earths that have been discovered in intra-space and is wildly regarded as an industry expert on the subject. “There’s Jungle World, Nazi World, Water World, Silicon Earth, Earth Thirteen, Zombieland…” he counts off his fingers. The prospect of alternate realities seems suddenly intimidating, but, I’m told, it’s actually much easier than missions to deeper and darker places in the universe.
  • edited March 2014
    Game Structure / Division of Creative Labor [structure][mechanics]

- DayTrips (adventures)
    - DayTripper NPCs
    - Other NPCs, Orgs, Locations, Events on Home-Earth and elsewhere

- a DayTripper PC
    - a DayTripper vehicle aka SlipShip
    - a Support Crew?
    Q: Are all 3 one package and the player controls them all?

Is the support crew kinda like the pit crew in Car Wars, little more than a list of names who never actually do anything in gametime? Alternately, it's possible to imagine adventures in which the support crew plays an important role. They might provide relevant data, correctional coordinates, or even (gasp) psychic guidance to their teammates on the other side. Perhaps even a new character class, or a weird hyper-radio-thing. Does that sound tasty or pukey? Do we prefer the DayTrippers to be utterly alone? What say ye, interbrains?
  • Boom, I'm gunna shake this up.

There is no GM, but rather a community of writers that produce snappy modules (literally a hitchhiker's guide to intra-space) that are availible free online and can plug-in-and-play at the physical table, with everyone sat down being a character. There would be some mechanical twitch to working out when to read "reveals" etc from the module and by who, but maybe something on character sheets reading "when you scan read table 4 and pick two outcomes" might be a good pointer.

I guess the idea here depends on writing clear modules and effectively DMing remotely. A community forum could be set up for errata, problem shooting and universe expansion. But getting ahead of myself.
  • That's a totally awesome theoretical structure, but it doesn't sound very OSR to me. Does it imply PC sheets are designed specifically for adventures? If so, then every game is a one-shot and there can't be any levelups, am I reading you right?
  • edited March 2014
    I'd consider them separate elements and changes to characters would be described as a shift of interests rather than an improvement. There's a feeling of pick your own adventure here. "Does the party explore the caves (p9) or enter the crimson forest (p16)?"

I think it's intensely OSR, or rather, cutting right to the heart of what OSR is, and the role of the DM as referee rather than story teller.
  • edited March 2014
    Ok then, show me an example of what you're talking about. How would it work?

Let me clarify: Community of writers: check. Snappy modules: check. Plug-n-play: check. Choose your own adventure and don't read ahead: Having trouble getting excited about that. Do you have an idea for an adventure structure that would be flexible enough to support a bevy of snappy modules without being so formulaic that creating a working one is no fun?
  • I don't have a horse in this race, but I'll note that what Mike describes is entirely consistent with theoretical precepts of the OSR as I understand it. Not that I like the choose your own adventure idea - it is an interesting, possible and challenging way to play (and I have done it successfully in fantasy context), but your project is ambitious enough without also removing central support structures of traditional adventure rpgs from the mix.
  • Sure Eero, I can relax on the "OSR" definition (although personally mine has a GM in it). But the adventure formatting question is still a big one.
  • edited March 2014
    It was only the feeling of a "pick your own adventure" book - just that I'd pictured tight, high-colour scenario pamphlets that game players punchy places and people to be dropped in on. Perhaps these one-shot modules could be tight enough that the GM can take a more relaxed attitude, maybe consider running a PC without serious conflict of interest, y'dig?
  • edited March 2014
    Well, using random tables for everything is a great way to allow solo play (as GM and PC) without serious conflict of interest. I've done it hundreds of times. And I think tight, high-color pamphlets are a great idea. Like travel brochures, perhaps. But the way I see it, they still need sidebars for the GM or notes in italics like armor+2 v energy or whatever. Uncle Albert's guide was a great example of this. It read just like an auto parts catalog, complete with illustrations and sales-pitchy jargon, and the game stats were printed underneath each "ad" in small type...

Dragon Magazine used to print fairly complex adventures on one page. And there's a one-page dungeon contest every year. So the goal of punchy little adventures is totally achievable without reinventing the medium, especially if stats/rolls are simple & scant. And it's not too hard to create wandering encounter tables, etc. I still want to be a GM though, and I want it to be easy and fun to write an adventure module for DayTrippers.
  • edited March 2014
    Ok, that sounds like a good compromise. So, what's the first place to visit? What's behind Angle 13.7, Inclination point-oh-oh-two?

• edited March 2014
    I was thinking along the lines of pushing the "you're exploring a totally inhuman place" aspect but introducing Fuel and Effort counters. You have a limited supply of Effort than can be spent in a bid to overcome challenges/opposition, the Effort pool is refreshed after food/sleep/return to Earth. There are two Fuel pools, one for your spacesuit, one for your spaceship. Regular activity (life support, scanning, limited jet propulsion) drains one point per hour from both but special effects/conditions can be brought by spending more Fuel. Emergency repair, Return-slipping, defensive shielding/cloaking, mining, long-range scans, communicating with Earth etc. all cost 2-4 tokens. If you run out of Fuel you get stranded in intra-space! Thoughts?

Burn Fuel when…
    -You use the suit for a full day.
    -You use the suit for an hour in hazardous atmosphere or vacuum
    -The suit undergoes automated emergency repair.
    -You use the suit’s medial scanners and administrators.
    -You broadcast large data packets or broadcast over great range.
    -You activate energy shielding.
    -You use the suit’s jump-jets.
    -You use the suit’s long-range scanning.

Burn Fuel when…
    -The ship supports the crew for a full day.
    -You return to Earth.
    -You use the ship’s retro-thrusters.
    -You manoeuvre within an atmosphere.
    -You use the ship’s long-range scanners.
    -You activate energy shields or cloaking.
    -You travel with heavy cargo (x2 Fuel costs for slipping/manoeuvring)
    -You use the ship’s traction-pulse beams.
    -You channel energy to the automated repair systems.
    -You launch probes.
    -You activate mining equipment/research pods/FTL drives.
    -You activate the Medical Response Tank.
    -You broadcast up-angle to Earth.
    -You charge the Fuel reserves of a lifesuit.

I guess the conceit that's forming in my brain here is that the players are actually UFO-pilots and would appear to the worlds they drop in on to conduct research/pillage treasures as aliens with radically unidentifiable technology. So I really want to push this idea of the craft being this contained point of safety in a bizarre and inhospitable vacuum, so long as it has fuel. Not every adventure must be this resource-focused 2001 Space Odyssey affair where PCs float about trying not to die but I like the idea of a few places being very procedurally demanding and fictionally dangerous.
  • edited March 2014
    Nice! Now as a dialectic move, I'm gonna try and push more Surreality in here. If we get too spacey, DayTrippers becomes a near-future supplement for Uncharted Worlds. But Jerry Cornelius walked around the inner worlds with no air supply, the security system on level (whatever) was a gigantic woman's face, and no one was shocked to see a tall mustachioed humanoid with a pith helmet walking around. We need some reality falling apart.

Types of DayTrip Destinations [concept][draft]
    - Known Planets (for now we can use Traveler or SpaceMaster rules to generate them)
    - Unknown Planets (ditto but you don't necessarily know which universe you're in)
    - Time Travels (Home-Earth in another time, watch out for paradox)
    - Alternate Earths (third planet from Sol under different genealogical circumstances)
    - Dream Worlds (maybe Home-Earth, not sure, but the universe has a fictional or dreamlike quality)
    - Multiversal Chao (laws of physics are up for grabs, logic and proportion have fallen softly dead)

Types of Slippage [concept][draft]
    - Cartesian Slip (space travel within our universe, similar to wormhole/teleportation)
    - ParaTerran Slip (universe next door, alternate earth, earths descended from one major bifurcation in history)
    - Temporal Slip (forward or backward in time on home-earth) [this is what Zayim Diaspora was intending to do.]
    - Subjective Slip (may be home-earth or not, but reality has become weird & dreamlike) [this is what Diaspora actually did.]
    - Compound Slip (very dangerous, sometimes happens due to Flux Storms, may end up in the Chao)

We seem like UFO pilots to the people in some worlds, monsters in others, welcome travelers in others, in some realities everybody knows our name, in some realities everybody looks like Brian Eno, and ultimately we are just more evidence of the incomprehensible madness of the Chao.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm struck with the image of a craft Cartesian slipping across the universe to map some section of early spacetime and being met by Vonnegut-esque Tralfamadorians who experience all time as a single moment and have been waiting for just this day...

I like your tables.
    I think it'd be fun to produce travel-brochure modules for slipway destinations out in Intraspace and promote a community that shares what it makes - there are at least 360 angles, so space for a totally mapped, totally wild universe.

It's interesting how FarScape my notion of the game is becoming. Anyone ever see that?
  • edited April 2014
    Types of Trips/Missions [concept][draft]
    - Exploration/Into the Unknown
    - Surveying/Fact-Finding
    - Emergency/Rescue
    - Acquisition/Trade
    - Sightseeing/Tourism
    - Politics/Diplomacy

Maybe this is what an Automated Survival Suit looks like (cover your A.S.S.!)...
  • edited April 2014
    Been putting some thought into stats and resolution mechanics. I think these should be a little skittery and open to narrative interpretation (we're fucking with reality after all), and stat-based (because a stalwart DayTripper should be a formidable person even without special skills and items), but skills and items should still provide seriously appreciable mods. I also like d6-only systems, because you can find d6s just about anywhere. Oh yeah, and the math should be easy. So here's what I've been thinking:

Character Stats [mechanics][characters][draft]
    - CHARM
    - GRACE
    - HEALTH
    - MEMORY
    - MIGHT
    - PSYCHE

Character Stats are rated on a scale of 1-6, but it's logarithmic (so it's much harder going from 2 to 3 than it was going from 1 to 2, and a Stat of 6 is like the epitome of human development). It's normal to start the game with most Stats at 1 and a couple at 2. Maybe ONE at 3 but that's it. Normal unskilled people have 1 in every Stat. The Stat Score indicates how many d6s you get to roll during Action Resolutions. You're gonna keep the best one. Action Resolution Rolls may be modified by Skill Levels and Item Bonuses.

Skill Levels [mechanics][characters][draft]
    Skills are rated in a similar way to Stats (1-6 logarithmic). Something like...
    1 = trained
    2 = journeyman
    3 = expert
    4 = master
    5 = innovator
    6 = legend

Each Skill has a governing Stat (or maybe two, you can pick the best or most applicable one depending on the situation). A Skill adds its level directly to the total. A mod of +1 is non-trivial.

Item Bonuses [mechanics][resolution][draft]
    Items are rated in a similar way to Stats (1-6 logarithmic). Something like...
    1 = well-made
    2 = customized
    3 = exquisite
    4 = legendary
    5 = intelligent (literally a "smart device")
    6 = magical (see Clarke's Third Law)

An item adds its bonus directly to the total. A mod of +1 is non-trivial.
    A PC with a MIGHT of 2 and Brawling Skill Level 1 would roll 2d6, take the highest, and add 1 when brawling.
    A PC with a HEALTH of 1 and Exceptional Antibiotics (+3) would roll 1d6 and add 3 to resist infection.
  • edited March 2014
    Bearing in mind the guidelines above (skittery and open to narrative interpretation), here's a pass at action resolution. Thanks to Potemkin's suggestion, it is influenced by the Archipelago system.

There are two types of Action Resolution in the game:

Action Resolution Types [mechanics][resolution][draft]
    Static Stat Maneuver - the GM sets a Difficulty Level (see below) and you roll against it.
    Stat vs Stat Contest - the GM or PC rolls for the "defending" character and you roll against their total.

Action Resolution Rolls may be modified by Skills and Items as explained above.

Difficulty Levels [mechanics][resolution][draft]
    The relative Difficulty of Tasks is rated in a similar way to Stats (1-6 logarithmic), but in fact may go higher than 6. Something like...
    1 = easy
    2 = challenging
    3 = difficult
    4 = really difficult
    5 = ridiculous
    6 = insane
    Tasks of Difficulty Level 7 or higher would be utterly impossible for an unskilled, unequipped human.

Once the dice are rolled, the active total is compared to the defending total on the table below:

Action Resolution Table [mechanics][resolution][draft]
    MISSED BY MORE THAN 1    --    no, and (negative)
    MISSED BY 1    -+    no, but (positive)
    HIT EXACTLY    +-    yes, but (negative)
    EXCEED BY 1    +    yes (nailed it)
    EXCEED BY MORE THAN 1    ++    yes, and (positive)
  • I must confess my eyes totally glazed over when I started reading that. Kill your darlings, baby! Cut this down to the simplest expression possible, then rebuild! What are the players really doing at the table? What's the real difference between challenging and difficult? No one who is interested in RPGs is going to need these rules given to them again, they already know them. >:)
  • edited March 2014
    Would you read it again, please? I admit that my expression of the system is more complex than the system itself. Yes, I provided adjectives for all the 1-6 ranges, but they're merely descriptive and not necessary to commit to memory at all. In other words, it's not about the difference between "challenging" and "difficult". It's about the difference between "2" and "3". I think this system is tremendously simple. Everything Is 1-6. The most complex part is the Action Resolution Table, but I think rules like "hit exactly = yes but" will be quickly internalized.
  • edited March 2014
    I mean, I read it through, twice even. And it's a totally fine system, totally totally. But it's exactly as intuitive as to how well you know the rules of Traveller.

I don't doubt that this is a proficient system that comes from your years of experience writing RPGs in this genre, but I'm keen to explore mechanical options. I want to recognise the physicality of play at the table - the pamphlets for instance - the use of dice and tokens; to push the idea of resources - what you spend and what you gain.

That said, I'd totally play a game with these rules if you'd run it. As long as we can talk about changes we're all happy with, I'm totally cool to field test. Also we really gotta get some more voices in this thread. :( Getting mr.snippycoolguy with you ain't helpin'.
  • edited March 2014
    Well, this is a development thread. =P

Granted, S-G isn't exactly an online environment built for group project development, but since we do have the ability to edit our posts, it kinda implies that everyone is the "owner" of whatever subsystem they post, and can edit it as it gels into final form (or gets superseded by another subsystem further downthread). ("Owner" is a bad word because this is opensource, but I mean "the only person who can edit that post".) At this point there isn't enough system here to really talk about yet, but eventually I hope that people will take whatever subsystems they like and use them. The OP does call for opinions, and hopefully we get some more of them as the system develops, that would be great. But personally I want to focus my main energies on building components, engineering subsystems, piecing together the overall system first in rough and then finer detail, etc., to provide a mechanic for this wonderfully weird idea.

I'm consciously trying to stay in a very "OSR" mode on this project, since that was part of the initial discussion.

As far as the above mechanic in general... I thought about what the game's needs would be for a day or two. The skitteryness and so forth. I was using a 2-12 scale in my mind (shades of Traveler), but once I started writing it down and looking at the way it rode, I felt that extra 7-12 was just not necessary. This is pulp sci-fi! So instead I hit on the idea (not that I'm the first one to think of it) of letting your stats represent the number of dice you get to roll, and then modding it with skills & items. Once I started thinking that way, this system took me about 3 hours to build. I decided to hammer everything in the multiverse down to a single, small, scale of 1 to 6, relying on the shifting odds of multiple dice to generate graduated odds of relative success. Everything from stats to difficulty levels would be handled with that same ubiquitous scale. By then you had already suggested the bipartite resolutions from Archipelago ("yes but", "no and", etc), which to me seem like a perfect fit for the descriptive freedom we want to give the GM. That said, it's a draft concept, as noted. If you have an alternate idea, give us a look at it!

(BTW, did you really mean to write "exactly as intuitive" - as a bad thing?)
  • edited April 2014
    Ok, here comes another big chunk of hot steamy mechanical draftness! This is the CharGen system. I totally expect a lot of this to change, but you gotta start somewhere, so here I go.

Character and Ship Generation [mechanics][characters][draft]
    CharGen is based on Character Points. These points will be divided up across everything: Your character, your gear, your crew, and your ship. A beginning character gets 100 points to spend. (It's possible to imagine optimizing an adventure for a party of a known point value, but that's a topic for another post.)

I. Stats:
    The Stats are: Charm, Grace, Health, Memory, Might and Psyche. Every Stat begins at 1. To raise your Stats, pay Character Points as shown below:
    To increase a Stat from 1 to 2 = 2 pts
    To increase a Stat from 2 to 3 = 4 pts
    Starting Stats higher than 3 are not allowed.

II. Skills:
    Skills add their level to the total rolled on all pertinent action resolutions. To buy Skills, pay Character Points as shown below:
    To increase a Skill to 1 = 2 pts
    To increase a Skill from 1 to 2 = 4 pts
    To increase a Skill from 2 to 3 = 8 pts
    To increase a Skill from 3 to 4 = 16 pts
    To increase a Skill from 4 to 5 = 32 pts
    To increase a Skill from 5 to 6 = 64 pts
    (Skill List TBD)

III. Gear:
    Pro Kit or Weapon (no bonus) = 1 pt
    +1 Item or Weapon = 2 pts
    +2 Item or Weapon = 4 pts
    +3 Item or Weapon = 8 pts
    Automated Survival Suit = 2 pts

IV. Crew:
    One crewmember can be hired for one year at a cost of 1 pt. You can hire as many crewmembers as you have spare capacity for. These NPCs start with 1 in all their Stats. You may purchase Stats, Skills and Gear for them at the same prices shown above.

V. SlipShip:
    Decide on your ship's Seating Capacity. Your ship must possess the following components, the cost of which depends on the ship's capacity:

Frame/Body = 2 pts x capacity
    Slip Capacitor = 1 pt x capacity
    Powersource = 1 pt per megawatt x capacity
    Outer Hull (select bonus):
          +1 = 2 pts x capacity
          +2 = 4 pts x capacity
          +3 = 8 pts x capacity
          +4 = 16 pts x capacity
          +5 = 32 pts x capacity
          +6 = 64 pts x capacity

The Tonnage of your ship = (2 pts + Outer Hull Bonus) x capacity.

The following components are optional:

Airlock = 3 pts
    ViewPort = 1 pt
    Headlights = 1 pt
    Spotlight = 1 pt
    Grappler = 1 pt
    Winch = 1 pt
    MF Radio = 1 pt
    Cabin (sleeping space for 1) = 2 pts
    Galley = 4 pts
    MedBay = 5 pts
    Cargo Hold = 1 pt per cubic meter
    Ion Cannon = 5 pts (drains 1 mW per shot)
    Tractor Beam = 3 pts x max tonnage (drains target tonnage in mW per minute)
    Slip Shielding = 1 pt per capacity (Recommended. Seriously.)
    Torpedo Launcher = 3 pts
    Concussion Torpedo (select bonus):
          +1 = 1 pt
          +2 = 2 pts
          +3 = 4 pts
          +4 = 8 pts
          +5 = 16 pts
          +6 = 32 pts
    Plasma Torpedo (select bonus):
          +1 = 2 pts
          +2 = 4 pts
          +3 = 8 pts
          +4 = 16 pts
          +5 = 32 pts
          +6 = 64 pts
    ForceField (select bonus):
          +1 = 2 pts
          +2 = 4 pts
          +3 = 8 pts
          +4 = 16 pts
          +5 = 32 pts
          +6 = 64 pts

Here are two 100-point sample characters: CHAZ MODINE and MARTY McAWESOME.
  • edited March 2014
    Torpedo Launcher = 3 pts
    Concussion Torpedo (select bonus):
          +1 = 1 pt
          +2 = 2 pts
          +3 = 4 pts
          +4 = 8 pts
          +5 = 16 pts
          +6 = 32 pts
    Plasma Torpedo (select bonus):
          +1 = 2 pts
          +2 = 4 pts
          +3 = 8 pts
          +4 = 16 pts
          +5 = 32 pts
          +6 = 64 pts
    Ha ha holy shit! Where the hell did these guys get a Plasma Torpedo from? Like, is that a thing people in this world just have access to? I was imaging taking along a pistol in-pod would be a Big Deal, but casually having interstellar, city-levelling plasma torpedoes for purchase is wild!

If slipcraft did have weapons, I imagine lasers would be lighter, cheaper and more versatile (point defense, scrap cutting and hole boring? Sign me up!) whereas torpedoes strike me as ...specialist? I very much side with Roddenbery on the place of weapons and violence in sci-fi: a part, but not the whole.

Listen, I like this - there's something about the meticulous point-buy of hull tonnage that is so oldshool Traveller/Warhammer that I can't stay mad. I get a boyish thrill out of the idea of people comparing slipcraft builds online like their 40k Army Lists. "You need ion lasers before you slip to the dark sector, it's the best thing for piecing the machine heads there."

OSR, for me at least, is about the philosophy of play more than about how any specific system works. You could have the most cutting edge mechanics but still be asking "What do you do?" and you'd still be within the OSR in my book. I don't think the OS rules are particularly efficient and constantly having to houserule to make them so is a part of the playstyle - I'm not sure that's a part of the inspiration I want to repeat. Like, why do we need stats? We could have Skills and maybe a few colour bonus die ("Ambidextous," "True Believer," "Diligent Notetaker," etc) or BW style beliefs? These are the things that are really going to come up in play. If a player wants their character to be graceful and has the "Diplomacy," "Zenology," or "Psychology" Skills then, sure, what's the problem? If the fiction has established their character as a gruff mechanic or something, maybe not?
  • edited March 2014
    I. Crew
    Each Slipcraft may have 1 crewmember per point of capacity. Each player should generate and play one crewmember before generating a second or an Escort.

II. Designation
    Each crewmember should assign themselves a designation, this is their "base stat-block." You can have multiples of the same designation but this will make the crew more specialised. Each designation gives bonus dice to related skills.
    -Command [Communication], [Intrastral Navigation], [Appraisal]
    -Engineering [Repairs & Maintenance], [Propulsion Flight], [Landing]
    -Systems [Scanning & Telephony ], [Data interpretation], [Repairs & Maintenance]
    -Research [Scientific Field], [Observation], [Exploration]
    -Medical [Treatment], [Diagnosis], [Psychology]
    -[REDACTED] [Weapon operation], [Survival], [REDACTED]
  • edited March 2014
    All rules are optional. If you want to play without stats, go ahead! Every game is like that, if you think about it. You can read the description parts of any world book and then play "Roll for Shoes". But the rules and charts are there for the people who want rules and charts, plus they inform players about what kind of stuff can be in the world, even if they aren't used. I had fun building my ships and dudes. Try it yourself!

The parts lists are pure late-night riffing, totally subject to change. There should be lots more stuff you could buy. I don't expect most of the ship-based weaponry to be used, maybe it shouldn't even be there. Or maybe it's there but costs so much only the military (and Richard Branson) can afford it.
  • Just trying to cut down the chaff here, the system's going to be pretty heavy by the looks of things. Sure, I can play games however I like, but if I get to stick an oar in during the design, it'd be over this. I'm down for some rules and charts, not an exhaustive list of generic sci-fi activities. There's an opportunity here to really shape what's in the mind of the players as they look down on their sheets - why is it important to have a charm stat? Why are might and health not the same thing? I see this section as very much a legacy from D&D and not really within the purview of this game.

Oh yeah, lists, tables and inventories can increase, increase, increase with input. Great! Just, again, having a rule for everything (want to build a classic interstellar battleship? Sure!) actually makes this game less interesting to make. :/
  • edited March 2014
    There's a lot of thought behind the stats chosen but none of it has been elucidated yet. They're pulpy. That's about all I'm gonna say about them right now because most of it is still in my head. Of all the game elements so far, I consider the stats to be the most likely aspect to be argued about. Perhaps totally replaced by someone else. That's fine, I expect it. In fact those conversations may be so rambling that they should happen via email! But if you have alternative ideas for specific stats, please post them! Or if you have a subsystem that replaces stats completely, please post that! People can choose whichever subsystem they want to use. I have no problem with that, and I don't see why anyone else should either.

I mean it when I say opensource.

I would love to see and utilize the work of others on various subsystems, but I'm not going to wait for those people to magically appear. Instead, I write the subsystems that occur to me, and I consider them open to mutation or replacement. In the meanwhile, these systems are what we have to work with (or ignore, or modify for home games, on an individual basis). They are Version 0.1 Conceptual Drafts, all of them.

When I review the "Surrealism in Sci-Fi" thread, I see you pushing away from more freeform elements suggested by others, and in this thread you have made suggestions like "GM could play a character without conflict of interest" which to my mind pretty much demands tables for everything. But I'm not building rules for every possible circumstance (like AD&D). Right now I'm just building rules for creating your character and his stuff, and it's fun to get pulpishly geeky about it. The action resolution system is a single function for any type of action you might want to do. It's not unlike the *World approach in that all action resolution is handled by a single rule, and that rule generates output which is both easy to calculate and highly subject to GM interpretation.

As far as charges of the system being "heavy"... Do you think so really? All the rules so far fit into a 4-page document, including a page for my sample characters. Here it is.
  • edited March 2014
    ^^^ All the rules, that is, except your Crew Designations stuff, which I guess you wrote around the time I was creating the PDF. Those are cool, and they give us some more skills to work with. Yay!
  • edited March 2014
    I know this is DayTrippers, not Space Opera, right, but it can certainly include some Space Opera. An interstellar voyage is a "Cartesian Slip" after all. So I tried applying the ship building rules to an existing vessel design from another game, just to see how much that ship would cost in DayTripper Megas (megadollars, megacredits, a million units of whatever money is)...

• My opinion in the surrealism thread totally stands up. I'm not a naysayer, it's just that this project has snowballed in a short time and I'm feeling left behind. :/
  • edited March 2014
    I'm sorry to make anyone feel bad, but the beauty of opensource projects is nobody has to! Everything is modular. Everything is optional. Everything is subject to revision. Everything is "current version" and expected to be updated at some future point. Yeah, I may work fast, but I'm still just riffing. Grab a subsystem that interests you, whether it's something someone else has approached already or not, and sketch it, build it, hack it, modify it, refine it, add to it, fictize it, or replace it with a better one!
  • edited March 2014
    A little philosophical explanation about my chargen approach above, and the existence of Stats. One of the design goals I'm shooting for here is to have an "OSR" kind of experience for the player, but/while using a single simple mechanic for all action resolutions. Another is to allow for a surreally-huge range of interpretive results as we go back into the fiction. This places a pretty big burden on the GM, who will already be up to their eyeballs making up Surrealness and hopefully injecting Meaning into it. Such narrative freedom is great for building fictional worlds but the whole point is to immerse the players by engaging with their characters, right? So plainly put: The GM needs as many hooks into the PCs as they can get. That's why we need Stats and a variety of useful details. Sure, we want to be pulpishly simple and casually fun about it, because we're not writing SpaceMaster here. But that said, the more detail on your character sheet, the more certain that the GM will know exactly what roll you need to make, no matter what freaky fucking weird-ass move you come up with. See, every detail on your character sheet is a hook for the GM to grab.
  • edited March 2014
    Edit: It's been kindly pointed out to me that I'm being a jerk. Gross. Sorry, Tod.
  • edited March 2014
    Hm. Maybe I'll start a thread about opensource. It's something a lot of people have heard about but probably never participated in. So anyway... I have no idea how big this project will become, but I can imagine how big it might become. The following list is just a quick rundown of all the subsystems I could think of in a few minutes. It is by no means exhaustive. and nothing on it is literally required. It's a skeleton of a hypothetical TOC to brainstorm and base arguments on.

Character Generation
    - Stats (starting)
    - Skills (starting)
    - Gear (starting)
    - Vehicles (starting)
    - Playing your character
    Action Resolution
    - Static actions
    - Contest actions
    - Turn order
    - Obtaining them
    - Building/customizing them
    - Operating them
    - Fixing them
    - Obtaining them
    - Building/customizing them
    - Operating them
    - Fixing them
    Resource Management
    - Power
    - Fuel
    - Food
    - Other resources
    - Experience
    - Stat improvement
    - Skill improvement
    - Other types of improvement

- Required stats
    - Generation system
    - Rules for playing them
    - Plot-based encounters
    - Random encounters
    - Environmental dangers
    - Initiative
    - Individuals
    - Small Groups/Battles
    - Large Groups/Wars
    - Vehicular
    - Area damage
    - Mapping the multiverse
    - Getting around
    - Power/fuel management
    - Dangers of travel
    - Required stats
    - Generation system
    - Rules for using them
    - Required details
    - Generation system
    - Railroading
    - How to build an adventure brochure
    Fiction Management
    - Money
    - Reputation/Fame
    - Organizations
    - Homebases
    - Campaigns
    - Downtime
    - Alternate Settings
    System Management
    - Modular subsystems
    - Homerules and hacks
  • edited July 2014
    Here are the functional explanations of the character stats I included above...

Character Stats [mechanics][characters][draft]
    CHARM – social & communicative functions
    GRACE – agility & dexterity functions
    HEALTH –biophysical & immunity functions
    MEMORY – knowledge-based functions
    MIGHT – strength-based functions
    PSYCHE – sanity & integrative functions

Why these terms instead of more clinical ones? Because they sound a tad antiquated and lend just a little bit of steampunkiness. The only one I'm not happy with yet is Memory, but I don't want say something like "Intelligence" since that's kinda the player's job.

ETA: In later editions "Memory" is replaced by "Brains".
  • edited April 2014
    Skills List [mechanics][characters][draft]
    Acting ^   Charm
    Artform ^*   Grace
    Camouflage ^   Memory
    Contortion   Grace
    Electronics ^   Memory
    Encryption   Memory
    Engineering ^   Memory
    Fast-Talking   Charm
    Fighting Style *   Grace, Might
    Firearm *   Grace
    Hand Weapon *   Grace
    Impersonation   Charm, Memory
    Language *   Charm, Memory
    Mathematics   Memory
    Mechanical ^   Memory
    Medicine ^   Memory
    Musical Instrument ^*   Grace
    Programming   Memory
    Rhetoric   Charm, Memory
    Science ^*   Memory
    Singing   Charm
    Slip Dynamics   Memory
    Stellar Navigation   Memory
    Swimming   Grace
    Vehicle *   Grace
    * = Specify the area or subskill you specialize in (e.g.: “Science:Biology” or “Firearm:Rifle”). If the GM rules it, your skill bonus may be applied at a -1 to a related subskill within the same general area.

^ = A “Pro Kit” exists for this skill (see Gear).
  • Hm. Maybe I'll start a thread about opensource. It's something a lot of people have heard about but probably never participated in.
    That sounds super-useful and interesting and you should do it. :P
  • edited March 2014

That sounds super-useful and interesting and you should do it. :P
    Yeah! Seconded, I certainly didn't understand quite what you meant going in. Maybe talking about the process and ideals of opensource collaborations (co-existences?) would draw some fresh perspectives into this thread and re-fire my creativity. :)

A friend suggested that Daytrippers should all go to a single place that's weird and varied but essentially a coherent whole. My friend didn't like the implication that each journey is to a totally new place with new rules, preferring instead that every new trip might help establish new knowledge that can be used on further trips. The idea of turning up anywhere in time and space sounded "very Dr. Who, very episodic." Her suggestion for where daytrippers go is "The Cities of Mars, c. 5,000,000 BC"
  • Ok, I was worried that a general definition of OS wouldn't be germane to this site, but now that two people have asked for it, it shall happen.

Meanwhile, start thinking about your Cities of Mars! I'll be doing surreal alternities.
  • edited April 2014
    [This post superseded by a newer version of the Fame rules here.]