World of Usagi Yojimbo

edited November 2013 in Story Games
Hey Folks.

Here is a little mash up I have been working on, World of Usagi Yojimbo. I took one part World of Dungeons and two parts Usagi Yojimbo RPG and mixed them up. I have zero artistic skills so sadly this is just presented to you as an artless pdf and I have linked the odt libre office file too in case you want to make changes. One cool part of this process was some of the Usagi RPG traits and mechanics needed very little tweaking and could be added to the WoD rules quite easily. I tried to keep the races and jobs from Usagi as true to the original RPG book as I could. Let me know what you think, hate it? Love it? Want to make it pretty? Does it need fixing? Is it broken? Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q181qxzebcojgu/world of usagi.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03vz85euy20qyd5/world of usagi.odt

Comments

• At a quick glance I like it as a representation of the older system. My initial thought though is that the bonuses are a little high for a *World system, it isn't difficult to have a character only failing rolls on snake eyes in whatever skill you choose, and in some cases pushing the 7-9 results nearly off the board as well.

1) consider raising the bar for failure, maybe 8 or 9.
    2) lower the bonuses, starting stats to +2, +1, 0 and -1, with racial and profession bonuses all being a flat +1.
    (Transcript from a conversation elsewhere)
    I'd have to agree. We're currently using Sanguine's "Autumn Moon" edition, so it's been a while since we've cracked open Stolze's books.

I'm not clear on the Deuls. It seems like the "stance" should be chosen in secret, and revealed after the roll.
    Also, "Middle" should be +0, otherwise "Agressive" doesn't seem to present much of a benefit/risk.

Also, I'd consider re-writing one of the classes to generate XP. Like, give the Shugyosa a move where they gain XP when following someone's advice, or when they spar with a superior. Give the Monk a move that gives other PCs XP for following their advice, or gives them XP when they evaluate their own failure.

That kind of thing.

Overall, a great start. Thanks for sharing.
  • That's funny, I recently read through the whole series and thought it would make a good WoDu hack. Nice work!

One thing that I think is missing is a social stat like Honour, since Bushido and betrayal play such a central role in the stories.
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks very much for these comments. I had a similar concern expressed regarding the bonuses being too high on G+ Gamecraft. The duelling rules were written quickly, I need to look at them more closely. I like the idea of lowering the attribute bonuses. I also think the system needs a mechanical representation of honour like an honour rating or similar.
  • Usagi Yojimbo fans may want to know that Stan Sakai is in financial straits due to a family illness and the Cartoon Art Professional Society is organizing a fund drive.
  • Thanks for that info. Sad news. The paypal donations appears to still not be working.
  • edited November 2013
    Hey, great! I got pretty excited when I saw the thread title alone... I enjoyed the UY game (Greg Stolze version) a lot.
    And I love the comics, which I use to expand my Indonesian vocabulary into useless areas. I can't open a bank account but I can discuss the aftermath of a battle.

On duelling, I think it would make sense - and reflect the original UYRPG better* - if the middle stance ("tactical" stance?) gave you a bonus to the focus check, while the aggressive stance gave you a bonus to damage. You sacrifice precision to overwhelm your opponent.

Also, in the original things were set up so that the best counter to the defensive stand was the middle.
    So, e.g.
    Aggressive - focus +0, damage +2
    Tactical - focus +2, damage +0
    Defensive - focus +1, armour 2

Or something like that?

* Although the attack modes were a little broken there, so this may not be 100% desirable.
  • Thanks for your comments. Love the middle stance giving a bonus to focus and the aggressive to damage. Going to do a rewrite this weekend with all this input. :)
  • I am back!

Here is a cleaned up much changed version. Its an odt file for open/libre office. Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fy4xoipwivdskx/world of usagi.odt
  • Looks good! I didn't know these comics, but I'll keep an eye out for them, thanks to this! I definately want to play a old cat with long whiskers and a kimono now!

You seem confident in separating the moves from the generalized dice-mechanic. Any reason for this?
    Also, since you take the effort to mention two extra special outcomes (snake eyes and box cars), I wouldn't just put these up with the GM to embellish as you say, that seems rather unnecessary and cumbersome. I would try to think out a mechanical advantage, or even better (since such rolls are quite arbitrary anyway) I would let the players make the 'special embellishment' or something like that (light and GM-relieving!).

Small thing though, it probably adapts to different GM's well.
  • Looking good.
    There's still that issue of why to bother with the Middle stance, though. If you're going to get +0, you might as well choose Defensive and get the 2 Armor. Maybe just remove Middle from the options and make it a binary choice?

I would maybe remove difficulty modifiers - but add ongoing conditions as something that could come into play at an appropriate juncture (such that 'Firing a yumi from horseback in driving rain' could be a condition, but so could 'The Neko clan want me dead').

• Looking good.
    There's still that issue of why to bother with the Middle stance, though. If you're going to get +0, you might as well choose Defensive and get the 2 Armor. Maybe just remove Middle from the options and make it a binary choice?

I would maybe remove difficulty modifiers - but add ongoing conditions as something that could come into play at an appropriate juncture (such that 'Firing a yumi from horseback in driving rain' could be a condition, but so could 'The Neko clan want me dead').

Very good point about Middle stance, its useless. :) Thanks will make a change there.

• Looks good! I didn't know these comics, but I'll keep an eye out for them, thanks to this! I definately want to play a old cat with long whiskers and a kimono now!

You seem confident in separating the moves from the generalized dice-mechanic. Any reason for this?
    Also, since you take the effort to mention two extra special outcomes (snake eyes and box cars), I wouldn't just put these up with the GM to embellish as you say, that seems rather unnecessary and cumbersome. I would try to think out a mechanical advantage, or even better (since such rolls are quite arbitrary anyway) I would let the players make the 'special embellishment' or something like that (light and GM-relieving!).

Small thing though, it probably adapts to different GM's well.
    When you say moves are you talking about duels? Duels are a ritualized combat that is very different from "normal" combat. So I figured they needed different rules. If you look at some kendo or samurai flick duels you can find different stances being used.

I will add a line to allow players to create embellishments with GM approval.

Thanks.

• You can take a leaf from the latest L5R maybe, and turn that Middle stance into a mental centring (in L5R it's centre stance) which gives you a bonus next action rather than the current one. It's a trade-off of a lesser bonus this round for a better one next round.
  • You can take a leaf from the latest L5R maybe, and turn that Middle stance into a mental centring (in L5R it's centre stance) which gives you a bonus next action rather than the current one. It's a trade-off of a lesser bonus this round for a better one next round.
    Very cool idea. I will give this some thought. Thanks for the input!

• edited June 2014
    I wonder if there's a way to bring in the rock-paper-scissors effect that the original UYRPG aimed for.
    If I'm remembering this right, it was:
    aggressive overpowers cautious (i.e. 'middle')
    defensive easily deflects aggressive
    cautious picks out the gaps in defensive

So whatever effects you choose for each stance, if you pick the stance that 'beats' your opponent's, maybe you get a +1 or something on top.
    Or is that too fiddly? I always liked the moment of flipping over the cards in a duel, for the way it emulates the stand-off and sudden draw in chanbara films.