Stuff to Watch - October 2013

edited October 2013 in Stuff to Watch
What stuff should we watch, read, play?

1. Feel free to respond here in-thread to another link posted.

a. If you're looking to start a conversation, perhaps take your comment and create a new thread with it in the Stuff to Watch category.

b. Otherwise, to prevent too many comments in the thread, number your response (first response: [1]; second response [2]; third response [3]). If you see that you're the second person to post, "Wow, that looks cool!" to a post here, then put a "[2]" at the top of your post. Three posts ([3]) is the limit: The fourth person to post should just take their comment and create a new thread, to carry the discussion over there further.

Why?

Because these threads are great: We can link to little things being talked about on the web in general, on blogs, or other forums that might be noteworthy, without having to dedicate a new thread to each and every one (although that, too, is fine if you want to discuss the item further or "open up a discussion").

Responding to these posts with a comment or two is understandable (other times there might be no comments, just cause the link was self-explanatory: nothing to say, lots of heads nodding in agreement). But we don't want to create a huge discussion in the middle of the thread: Some folks get a lot out of these threads, and don't want to look back to see the "10 latest posts" just to see that it's a heated discussion of something from a previous page.

Cool?

Cool!

Comments

• Worlds Without Master, Volume 1, Issue 1 is available!
    If you don't already have a copy (and why don't you pre-order Issue 2, then?), you can get it for $3.99
    Pick your favorite creator out of this issue's table of contents! Each of us was given a Paypal button so that you can place your order through that creator's website and tip them one dollar: here's mine.
  • edited October 2013
    For the last year and a half, I’ve been fascinated with how to teach the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (MHRP) game (designed by Cam Banks and published by Margaret Weis Productions).

I’ve written a hack that focuses on teaching the skills needed to play the game in a logical and easy-to-learn way. It’s heavily inspired by the work of John Stavropoulos: from both his rules summary sheets for MHRP and his work on increasing the usability of RPGs, generally. It’s also inspired by the Pedagogy of Play articles about Polaris.

You can download ‘Introduction to Superheroism’ from Dropbox (23 page .pdf). If you’d like a one-page overview of how the game works, check out the GM reference sheet.

This started as a simplification of MHRP, but evolved in to a more substantial hack as I examined three areas of MHRP:
    - rolling dice and determining effects
    - the XP and Plot Points currency
    - the flow of combats

My biggest deviation from MHRP is the combat system. I really like the way MHRP deals with initiative, but I found taking turns assembling dice pools and dealing with the action/reaction phase meant the action didn't flow the way I wanted it to. I've tried a version inspired by Sorceror’s ‘Free and Clear’ phase to see what sort of experience the 'pre-discussion'/'everybody rolls at once' method creates in play.

The hack also liberally borrows from Monster of the Week, MHRP, The Shadow of Yesterday, The Solar System, the article ‘How to create your own Milestones’ by Judd Karlman on his Githyanki Diaspora blog, Primetime Adventures 3, and Poison’d.

I’m really interested in improving the useability of these rules, and in how to teach RPGs. Really happy to chat about that if anyone wants.
  • The annual 24 hour design-an-RPG contest has started again at rpggeek.com

rpggeek.com/thread/1046072/2013-rpg-geek-24-hour-rpg-contest
  • For those of you who do use miniatures, the Bones 2 Reaper Kickstarter has begun and is already really juicy. There's also an option in there this time around for folks who just want access to the add-ons ( typically big monsters), to pledge for a buck only, then go shopping for just those items ( not a bad option for GMs who are content with stuff like tokens most of the time, but would like an occasional showpiece monster with an actual mini).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones
  • edited October 2013
    I think I haven't specifically told Story-Games, yet, that my swords & sorcery game Enter the Avenger, originally written for Words Without Master, is now available in full here for all to read. This to make good on the fact that I did license it as a free cultural work. Do I have to stress that Overeditor Eppy Ravachol is the coolest guy around just for letting me do this?
  • By October 25, a collection of 22 larp scripts from the Norwegian Larp Factory will be available in book form. The games run the gamut from traditional adventures to relationship dramas, political statements, farce, and formal experiments.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-larp-factory-book-project/x/4806749
  • [Mapping tutorials 1]
    I've started a series of mapping tutorials...

vulpinoid.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/map-drawing-tutorial-1.html
    This is super. Thanks for sharing!

• edited October 2013
    Rough Cuts: 6 Micro Games by Brian Engard is out.
    • Jury Duty, a game about the social dynamics of jury deliberation.
    • Runners, a game about post-apocalyptic parkour action in a world full of monsters.
    • Snakegrinder: Misadventures through Time, a game about an 80s hair band that travels through time solving problems and getting into trouble.
    • The Wicked World, a game about angel PIs who give up their powers so they can hunt down demons on Earth.
    • I Hit It with My Axe, a game about dwarf barbarians boasting about the great deeds they'll perform, and then having to actually perform them.
    • Comfort Zone, a setting-agnostic system for quick and very simple RPGs.
  • edited October 2013
    [Rough Cuts]
    Looks cool, but the link is broken for me. Can you recheck it?
    http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/120165/Rough-Cuts-6-Micro-Games ?
  • edited October 2013
    [Rough Cuts]
    Looks cool, but the link is broken for me. Can you recheck it?
    http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/120165/Rough-Cuts-6-Micro-Games ?
    [Rough Cuts 2]
    Yep that's the one. Fixed in original comment, thanks for the catch!
  • Monday night: temporarily converting Pathfinder campaign to Dungeon World.
    Tuesday night: permanently converting Heavy Gear campaign to Mecha.

Both very successful so far!
  • Bundle of Holding has moved on to Stars Without Number, a deliberately retro game that appears, from the reviews I read, to be more about OD&D-powered space opera than being yet another version of Traveller. Not my cup of tea, but the RPG Pundit loved it! It comes with the core book, and several interesting-looking supplements.
  • Flavor-wise, Stars Without Number is *much* more like Traveller than space opera, although the mechanics are Red Box D&D with Traveller's skill system. (For me, SWN is "What Traveller Should Have Been")
  • The Free RPG Blog and 1KM1KT are running a 24-hour RPG competition (due date 1 December). The challenge is to write a short game that doesn't use any numbers - something fans of Archipelago II etc. might not have so much difficulty with: http://www.thefreerpgblog.com/2013/10/harder-than-granite-24-hour-rpg.html
  • The Free RPG Blog and 1KM1KT are running a 24-hour RPG competition (due date 1 December). The challenge is to write a short game that doesn't use any numbers - something fans of Archipelago II etc. might not have so much difficulty with: http://www.thefreerpgblog.com/2013/10/harder-than-granite-24-hour-rpg.html
    Are non-competitive entries allowed? For example, if I have a bunch of scribbled concepts somewhere that just need to be spiffed up and typed up, can I enter that if it fits the format but isn't a for-real 24 hour only effort, provided I mention that it's a non-competitive entry when it comes to consideration for the prize?

• Joe McDaldno's London Octoberfest

If you are London-based, you might be interested in participating in the numerous events that @mcdaldno will be attending during his visit here.

Specifically, we have:
    Sunday 13 October: a bonus Indiemeet (at the Blacksmith and Toffeemaker, from 12pm)
    Tuesday 15 October: Literally Hacking Games, with Joe McDaldno! (+ Sean) (at Leisure Games, Finchley, from 6pm)
    Saturday 19 October: regular Indiemeet (also Indiemeet's anniversary) (at St Christopher's Inn, from 12pm).

Hope you can make it!
  • Are non-competitive entries allowed? For example, if I have a bunch of scribbled concepts somewhere that just need to be spiffed up and typed up, can I enter that if it fits the format but isn't a for-real 24 hour only effort, provided I mention that it's a non-competitive entry when it comes to consideration for the prize?
    [24-hour RPG Competition 2]

I think so. The submission process is just adding an RPG to 1KM1KT.net, and they accept games that are unrelated to the competition, so I think it would be fine to upload a game to 1KM1KT with the caveat that it's not eligible but is inspired by the competition.
  • edited October 2013
    I am waiting on a few pieces of final art for Foreign Element, a cinematic science fiction roleplaying game that is rules light and pretty fun. It's kind of in the vein of the great scifi action movies that you love and love to hate - Screamers, Total Recall, Alien, Tremors, and on and on. You can include great 3d computer games too like Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect. It has a great sense of humor and is super flexible whether you want to go more serious or have B-movie fun.

The game is set in a distant future where humankind has begun exploring the vastness of space, when a terrible event, the Great Blackout, occurs, silencing thousands of planets, colonies, and space stations for mysterious reasons. Heroes volunteer, are coerced, or driven to be a part of government sponsored RX teams to find out what went wrong, planet by planet. They'll encounter whatever you want - renegade colonists, mutants, aliens, space insects, zombies, malfunctioning robots, and malevolent AIs. The real conflict at the heart of the game is the allegiance of the heroes - do they take their pay from the government? Do they take on side jobs and represent corrupt corporate interests? Or do they follow their own motivation for being out in the stars?

It has fun with some traditional RPG type concepts - like no death, character development through self help services in space, etc..

A preview is up here - I expect to release it sometime next week.
    http://www.mysticages.com/games/fe
  • I has Minecraft server, and you are all invited. It's on Bukkit, so there is oddness, but you don't need mods (all server-side).

The Docs on the server and the weird; IP is in there.
  • GOLEM ARCANA has 8 hours left on Kickstarter! 97% funded. From the team that brought you SHADOWRUN RETURNS http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana

(I know the guys doing this... so I'm kind of hoping they pull it off!)
  • And… here's another fledgling Italian game-designer trying to walk the Patreon road. It looks like (just as me) Alessandro too is catering to an international audience as his main target, while evaluating the potential of an Italian audience through establishing a modest milestone goal.
  • edited October 2013
    the beta of HVE Water is available for download. Its a rogue-like game about love and survival after an apocalyptic event has wiped out most of humanity.
  • edited October 2013
    The Bundle of Nerves includes some horror games such as Dread, Don't Rest Your Head, Kingdom of Nothing and Murderous Ghosts at the basic level. Paying above average gets you The Demolished Ones, Don't Lose Your Mind and Spookybeans.

Any opinion on the last three of those games?
  • [Bundle of Nerves 1]
    Don't Lose Your Mind is simply a Don't Rest Your Head supplement.
  • [HVE Water 1]

I was looking forward to checking out this game!
    The download link is: http://www.heartofthedeernicorn.com/hvewater/
  • [BoN 2]

Not simply a supplement @Rafu :)

An excellent, mind bending, fun to read supplement, full of bizarre images, ideas and wordplay, and of stuff to mine for the games (and usable for instant random Madness Powers for oneshots).

...but I'm a biased party: I had the honor of translating half of it to Italian (and boy was it a ride...).

Seriously though: unless like me you already own most of that bundle, go for it.
  • edited October 2013
    Monte Cook's The Strange Kickstarter launched today.

I backed it, since it looks amazing. Glad to see Monte working on something Planescape-ish again.
  • [BoN3]

That is an amazing bundle. Which, you know, is why I already own all those games. And if you're on the fence, Don't Lose Your Mind is worth paying more than average for.
  • edited October 2013

Jury Duty, a game about the social dynamics of jury deliberation.
    So there's no point in my starting work on We The Jury, a game about the social dynamics of jury deliberation. Rats.
  • edited October 2013
    Post deleted. Somehow made a whisper public. Gah! I'll never get the hang of this.
  • edited October 2013

Jury Duty, a game about the social dynamics of jury deliberation.
    So there's no point in my starting work on We The Jury, a game about the social dynamics of jury deliberation. Rats.
    I don't see why stop.
    Many games "do the same thing"... doesn't mean all of them do it well, and anyway most don't do it in the same way.
    Sharing a common goal or theme doesn't mean the game experience will be identical... maybe Brian's game is a resource managment challenge to get the jury on your side, while yours is a gut wrenching exploration of doubt, judgment and innocence :P
  • edited October 2013
    Sharing a common goal or theme doesn't mean the game experience will be identical... maybe Brian's game is a resource managment challenge to get the jury on your side, while yours is a gut wrenching exploration of doubt, judgment and innocence :P
    [Discussion moved to new thread].
  • Guys, apparently we need a new thread about this!
  • edited October 2013
    Guys, apparently we need a new thread about this!
    Yes, apologies for the derailment, I've started one here.

• edited October 2013
    The survival horror game EPOCH is on sale for Halloween.
  • edited October 2013
    The Strange 2
    Monte Cook's The Strange Kickstarter launched today.

I backed it, since it looks amazing. Glad to see Monte working on something Planescape-ish again.
    Not enthused by the third, $50, level being required to get any digital versions of stretch goals and the listed supplements. Seems there may be a note of 'charging what we can get away with' here, and charging a premium before its even known what additional material you'll get. This is still a funding drive (by highly-successful established authors to boot, not hopeful first timers), not a commercial purchase- so why the (approximate) retail prices for an on-faith pledge in return for as yet undefined digital products your pledge will help the authors produce, generating future sales? Have other KS used this framework? It's not one I've noticed before.

I'd be interested to hear what game designers and content creators think of this? Have I been spoiled by Fate Core, Second Skins and similar KS, with 'discounted' digital products and generous stretch goal inclusion? I'm prepared to hear that I'm off base here and previous RPG KS have undervalued stretch goals.
  • The Fate System Toolkit is now available under a Creative Commons Attribution licence and the Open Game License, and you can check it out here: http://www.faterpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/FST-SRD-OGL.html
  • [Levi's Minecraft Server 1]

How's this been going? I tried joining it last night, server said I'd be on alone. I spawned underground and had to dig myself out but I actually escaped by some kind of glitch. Then I was disconnected and I got a weird error message.

I'd like to try multiplayer Minecraft because I bet it adds loads to the game.
  • It's a good week for games dual licensed under Creative Commons Attribution and the OGL: the GUMSHOE SRD has been released by Pelgrane Press.

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13319
  • [Pelgrane Press OGL 1]

Also 13TH AGE!
  • [Pelgrane Press OGL 2]
    Linkie to 13th Age SRD

This one's just OGL, not CC BY.
  • Spotted online, an article by Cory Doctorow : "DMing for toddlers". It was included on the dead tree edition of Gygax Magazine, and is now available at this URL: http://gygaxmagazine.com/selected-content/dming-for-your-toddler/
  • [Levi's Minecraft Server 1]

How's this been going? I tried joining it last night, server said I'd be on alone. I spawned underground and had to dig myself out but I actually escaped by some kind of glitch. Then I was disconnected and I got a weird error message.

I'd like to try multiplayer Minecraft because I bet it adds loads to the game.
    The update to 1.7.2 and various hoopla are kicking my butt. I expect that I'll be able to declare it stable and excellent in a couple weeks, but not currently.
  • My new game, Odyssey, is fundraising via IndieGoGo right now. I'd love for you to see it. Here's the blog for it. Thanks!
  • Myself and Joli St Patrick did a presentation at the Queerness & Games Conference about moving beyond representation and considering the need for queer mechanics and queer systems. That talk was recorded and is now available along with our slides - Beyond Representation: Queer Mechanics in Tabletop Games.
  • I noticed this calendar app, and I'm wondering if it will be useful for those who do gaming events and cons?

https://www.calendartree.com/HowItWorks
  • I've released a (free, short) romantic comedy game for two players. It's called Three Days, and you can check it out here.
  • So it looks like the coupon code FALLSALE40 gets you 40% off at Lulu until the 4th. At first, it was just for people ordering copies of their own books (my email said), and now it can be used by anybody.
  • DrivethruRPG is having its annual Halloween trick or treat giveaway, click around on their pages and get free RPG stuff, including games, when you find the magic pumpkins. Or you could read the RPG.Net thread which tells you where the goddamn pumpkins are. Good until 7 Nov.
    (Not exactly indie stuff, but I thought the cheap/poor gamers might appreciate it: there's Promethean and some Ravenloft stuff and "Streets of Bedlam", whatever that is.)