Pocket Anima Prime 1.1

edited September 2013 in Story Games
In the spirit of Pocket Danger Patrol, I made a version of Anima Prime whose rules fit on one sheet, with enemy, goal, and hazard design on the back. Some of the rules are quite different, but the spirit of the game is the same. And now you can combine one of 8 backgrounds with one of 7 professions (both on cards for ease of assembly), pick a passion, and have a full character ready to go.

It's not pretty, because I'm not a graphic designer like other folks, and I haven't had a chance to test it yet. But hey, in the spirit of sharing, here it is:

EDIT: now up to version 1.1:

Pocket Anima Prime 1.1

Comments

• When do we play?

I like the idea of a GM judging narration not on a quantitative scale as in Sorcerer or Beast Hunters, but on this qualitative scale and then each of the Styles get a bonus of some kind. I wonder what even further development might bring.
  • Yes, please!
  • Looks good! I've made a couple of tilts at reading Anima Prime, but never made it through. This is more manageable.

I've always appreciated Anima Prime's Creative Commons BY-SA licence. Is this under the same licence?
  • OK, first impressions:

— I really appreciate that you're substantially simplifying AP, as a design goal, and not just providing a condensed game text. Setup times seem to be greatly reduced in this variant: not just the time to prepare characters sheets, but also the time to explain how the game is played (though, of course, familiarity with Ghostfield is required to understand this text).

— I like Hazards. These are a nice addition to the game.

— Conditions should be made into cards, making them effortless (rather than cumbersome) to keep track of. Since the game is already carried around as a pack of cards anyway, I can see no reason not to.

— However, introducing Skill Rolls feels to me like a significant step back in evolution from the way I understood Anima Prime to be played (and the way I played it). I liked it much better when everybody was the only and final arbiter of their character's effectiveness and competence outside of formal Conflicts.
  • @Sanglorian Yeah, this would be the same license.

@Rafu Thanks for the feedback! You're right that conditions should have little cards. I'll add them when I find the time. As for skill rolls, you might be in the minority, as the one thing I've been asked for most is some sort of quick little resolution for actions in scenes. But obviously you can just take that part out. I really do like the way those skill descriptors define a character, though.

And while Ghostfield knowledge will help you understand the setting the way it's imagined, I think it's fine not to have it and to imagine it differently. The names are purposely evocative, and even the mention of the Burdened's mask, combined with its skill descriptors and ability names, should give enough information to go on. But then again, I haven't tested it, so I guess we'll find out :)
  • As for skill rolls, you might be in the minority, as the one thing I've been asked for most is some sort of quick little resolution for actions in scenes.
    Yeah, I'm not surprised I am in the minority, really.
    The way I've always read it, I play AP much more similar to Archipelago or Mist Robed Gate than to D&D or even Apocalypse World, and when something happens which is significant enough to warrant us surrendering collective control over its outcome, then it's worthy of being turned into a full-fledged conflict.
    I've always praised AP's fresh, cooperative approach to Character Scenes: having the GM being equal with PC-players in general authority, and ad-libbing together while looking at Story Seeds for guidance. But most people I've met who are turned on (or not turned down) by AP's slightly complex conflict mechanics and over-the-top, adventurous subject-matter would actually prefer a more "traditional" general structure, with the GM maintaining a distinct role all of the time and scenes being used for non-fighty adventurous accomplishment rather than strictly for character development + plot development.
    But obviously you can just take that part out. I really do like the way those skill descriptors define a character, though.
    I would take Skill Rolls out, but not necessarily skill descriptors: those could as well grant bonus dice to Maneuvers against appropriate Goals or Hazards during conflicts.
    And while Ghostfield knowledge will help you understand the setting the way it's imagined, I think it's fine not to have it and to imagine it differently. The names are purposely evocative, and even the mention of the Burdened's mask, combined with its skill descriptors and ability names, should give enough information to go on.
    Yes, I think you're right.
  • Oh hey Matt, didn't see your comment there. We'll play one of these days. Maybe on a Wednesday. Maybe tomorrow? :)

And yeah, as you know, I've spent a long time (since early Beast Hunters, 2005) thinking about the Moment of Judgment, how to keep the narration important but also get away from the yes/no or quantitative judgment for the GM. This is my one big step in another direction. We'll see how well that works.
  • Alright, I've added condition cards and revised the text accordingly. While I was at it, I changed the condition for the Maneuver Style (because that had different removal conditions than the one from an ability), added a power to the Assassin (because hell yeah assassins!) and made an 8th profession: the Troublemaker!

Pocket Anima Prime 1.1
  • Good stuff.
  • I made the condition cards as big as the Profession and Background cards because that's standard card sleeve size, but the text really only takes up half that space on most of them. So I could make them smaller... but then they wouldn't be easily sleeved. Anyone have thoughts on that?
  • I think keeping them standard size is better.
  • Nice! Thanks Christian!
  • Nice! Thanks Christian!
  • WHAAAAAT!!!! THIS IS SO COOL!
    omigod i am so stoked to read this!

> i think the conditions being full sized cards is better
    > if you like, update the link at the top of the page too; i downloaded that one first, and then 1.1 when i scrolled further down the page!

I am SO stoked that you're doing this!
  • Thanks :) I'd added the updated link at the end of the first post, but now I removed the old one to avoid more confusion.
  • Is the idea that the Tigerfolk count only ONE "6" as a double success for strikes, or all 6s? My guess is all.
    You could say "all" instead of "any" if you wanted.

Also don't make another version right now because I just spent hella long making a playset that I don't want to be obsolete yet! :)
  • Yeah, the idea is all, though testing will have to show if that's too much.

And don't worry, I'm not going to touch this again until it's been tested a few times. Except possibly to make it look nicer. :)
  • Hey Christian,
    How many enemies / hazards / goals should I set my first conflict with?
    I know that it'd vary depending on what experience level the enemies are & whether they're beyonders or imperials, I just don't want to go too far one way or another (too easy / kill everyone) right out the gates.

Would you say 1 e/h/g per player? Or like 1 e per 2 players, and then 1 h/g per player on top of that?

Thanks!
  • My suggestion: one easy enemy per PC, plus a hazard and two goals. Follow that up with a hard enemy counting for two easy ones and an extra hazard. Also make up a goal in the middle of the conflict, if the opportunity arises. :)
  • Awesome. AP is one of my favorite games!
  • edited November 2013
    I've been in love with Pocket Anima Prime (PAP) ever since I found it almost two months ago. The only way I can properly show my affection is by tinkering with it. Thus, I present my rendition of Anima Prime which I call Anima Primal. (creative, I know x_x)

I started with the PAP text as the base then added some elements from the original AP after which I screwed around with the text and added my own stuff. The result is less one-shot oriented than PAP and more like AP but while retaining many of the elegant designs choices present in PAP. This doesn't include the nifty Danger Patrol style character creation, unfortunately.

Now I'm wondering if anyone cares! I don't have the CC attribution stuff on there so if that is a problem someone please let me know. But anyways, if anyone checks it out... I'd appreciate comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc...

I have the PDFs of the rules and the character sheet on my Google Drive if anyone is interested.
  • Awesome! I like the addition of stances. I'm going to have to go through this more thoroughly after Thanksgiving :)
  • Cool, I'm glad you like it! Anima Prime is definitely one of my favorite games of all time and I've always wanted to put my stamp on it in some way. =D