Gaming Hors D'oeuvres

edited August 2013 in Play Advice
This Monday, Sept 2, is an American National Holiday, Labor Day. My gaming group (and whomever else we can wrangle to show up) are gathering for something we thought up called Gaming Hors D'oeuvres. We'll be sampling board games, video games, but mainly focusing on small pitches of roleplaying games we might want to play in the future. The rule is that whatever we do is limited to 1 hour or 1.5 hours, whatever can deliver a gaming "bite". This would be something that gives the flavor of the game. It might be character generation, or a small scene, or a full game based on what system is used. Pregens are recommended but not required.

Have you ever done anything like this? What games are on your collective minds that could deliver a "bite" in those constraints?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I keep pitching 'Nano-Game Dim Sum' as a con event. One day... One day.

If you're looking for small/short games, I'm keeping a list of [links to] them here.
  • Astropocalypse could play a full game in that amount of time, so long as it's 3-4 people and scenes are kept descriptive (as opposed to fully acted and chewed). Similarly, Fiasco, though I doubt anyone needs a demo of that by now.

I could rattle off a slew of Icehouse games (and Looney Labs games in general) which take an hour or less. Forbidden Island is a punchy little co-op board game that runs in less than an hour (every time I see it at Atomic Empire, I consider buying it). A search on Board Game Geek would likely yield scores of short-form games that are fully played in 1-1.5 hours, never mind only demos or "bites".

I got nuthin' for video games--don't play them anymore.
  • edited August 2013
    I keep pitching 'Nano-Game Dim Sum' as a con event. One day... One day.

If you're looking for small/short games, I'm keeping a list of [links to] them here.
    Excellent! I've been looking for something like this. I want to run a sort of "Dim Sum" event that you describe at a local con, after having trouble getting players for a longer RPG slot.
  • I keep pitching 'Nano-Game Dim Sum' as a con event. One day... One day.
    And instead of giving out bennies / XP / Artha / etc. you give out Dim Sum. Mmm.

I find interesting the idea of just doing the character generation for a game. Burning Wheel might be fun for that, as the book explicitly states that "Character Burning" is meant to be a game in and of itself.

Also, this thread I started might be useful: It was me asking for short games with little prep (although I put more constraints on it, as I was looking explicitly for mechanically light, narrative-based games).

• Personally I would be disappointed if there weren't any actual hors d'oeuvres being paired with the games.
  • edited August 2013
    Personally I would be disappointed if there weren't any actual hors d'oeuvres being paired with the games.
    Fear not; that, too, will happen.

• If you use a game that is one page or less, you could make a plate of Hors D'oeuvres with the game as a folded centerpiece. As each table finishes their game, bring them a new plate.
  • My Monster Box can be played in half-an-hour to an hour, including character creation. With pre-made characters, you could run a very short bite of play. And it's free.
  • Marc Machjer's GAME POEMS!
  • Plenty on http://norwegianstyle.wordpress.com/, which I believe will cause some d'uuuuhs. Until we sink and recently The Patriarch's Head look quite promising. Plenty of poems on there too.

I won't start listing board games that'll take around 1-1,5hrs, cause that's most of them. If you want a bite size compared to that: try Love Letter (AEG). It'll take 5-10mins a round, and is very addictive. Video games: most fighter games, but a good bite sized one is DiveKick, which is kinda silly but there's some skill involved. You can get it on most platforms and it requires only two buttons (for diving and kicking - it feels more like a party game). Also a goody if you're in company is The Yawgh: it'll set you back $10 for a 10minute story telling game that's pass-and-play up to four players. It gets better every time you play.

Sounds like fun - I'll have to steal your idea :)