What is Uncharted Worlds?
Uncharted Worlds is a Space Opera roleplaying game built upon the Apocalypse World rules. It’s inspired by the big, bold, larger-than-life space-faring epics like Mass Effect, Firefly, Star Trek, and by games like Traveller, Masters of Orion, Starcraft (and a bit of Galaxy Trucker).Mankind has spread across the galaxy, fracturing into a thousand different cultures and societies, yet is still bound together by the vast galactic web of debt and favor. Wealth, duty, loyalty, agreements and servitude drive the politics of the civilized worlds and fuel the wars that span the stars. Debt makes the galaxy go ‘round. All the while, the myriad factions look to the ever expanding frontiers of inhabited space, seeking wealth, resources and prosperity among the unexplored systems beyond the next event horizon.
But the universe is full of harsh, deadly beauty. From asteroid fields of crystals discharging lightning, to incandescent radiation curtains. From the starry vacuum of space to the rainbow patterns of planetary acid clouds. From majestic, earth shaking behemoths to the delicate gossamer parasites. The galaxy can be a very dangerous place indeed; and only the brave, foolish or suicidal dare venture to uncharted worlds.
Uncharted Worlds is a game of exploration and inter-faction conflict. The players are the owners of an interstellar vessel, travelling from world to world with a handful of crewmen, exploring new and dangerous worlds, trying to pay off their debts while earning favor with the new factions they encounter.
The Principles of Uncharted Worlds:
- Embrace the deadly beauty of the galaxy
- Each new planet is unique and full of interest
- The ship is home, the crew is a dysfunctional family
- Debt makes the galaxy go ‘round
- Everyone has someone pulling their strings
- Paint in primary colorsGame Info
- Powered by the core Apocalypse World rules
- Build your own character archetype by combining Origin and Careers
- Players design the factions that will populate the story
- Design a starship as a group and pilot it to wherever the stars take you
I’d appreciate any thoughts, questions, suggestions or criticisms. Obviously this is just a small part of what I want to put together, as you can see by the “table of contents” in the document, but the pieces and fundamental rules are there in this Alpha version, and I'll be starting play-tests this week.