Cortex+!

edited August 2013 in Story Games
So, the Cortex+ Hacker's Guide is out. What's cool about it? What's it good for? What have you run with it? What are you excited to try?

(Feel free to talk about it's predecessors, too - Smallville, Marvel Heroic, etc.)

Comments

• I've had a skim; I really, really like the variety of stuff in there. A Sandman-inspired hack? That sounds pretty awesome. I'll probably read it more in-depth later.

Oh, and when they talked about the Time Die mechanic, I can't be the only person who thought of X-COM.

What was remarkably interesting was how Cam broke down Cortex into the most stripped-down version imaginable. That was very insightful.
  • I have been reading through this and it really makes me feel that people will need have already played/read 1-2 of the earlier Cortex+ games to actually understand what to do with this book.

That said, for me I love the book. I have read and played every C+ game, and many hack already. This is what I was looking for. I am looking for ways to include every little hack in the book into some sort uber-Cortex + game, and trying to hold myself back.

I plan on using it for a Post apocalyptic Super Hero, with a lot of tool thrown into the bag.
  • That said, for me I love the book. I have read and played every C+ game, and many hack already. This is what I was looking for. I am looking for ways to include every little hack in the book into some sort uber-Cortex + game, and trying to hold myself back.
    Can you elaborate on what you like about it?

• Mainly I like that it has all the bits and pieces that I want to work with. Without any of them being tied down, or flavored by, a specific properties idea of how it should work. Also, since it is written with hacking in mind, it goes into a discussion on the reasoning behind things a lot. Which in turn, makes it much easier to understand (not that any of my players will ever read this).
  • I have never played any game with this system, and I'm not sure how to get this without having backed the Kickstarter, but I just saw the words "Sandman-inspired hack" and I would love to know more.
  • I have never played any game with this system, and I'm not sure how to get this without having backed the Kickstarter, but I just saw the words "Sandman-inspired hack" and I would love to know more.
    The PDF is finally for sale at DTR, for $20. I didn't read it in depth, but yes, there's a hack called Legendary (as I recall) which is all about using it to play various characters of mythic power, whether they be figures of legend or aspect-characters like Luck, Fear, etc. (Sandman is explicitly called out as an inspiration.)

There's also a mildly preternatural Rome hack, and a D&D-Leverage hack.
  • I've read it and I adore basically everything about it. It really lays the system out in an understandable and digestible way. I feel like there's very little that I couldn't do with the Cortex+ engine now that I have this.

I think I'm going to use a modified Drama with elements of Action for a magical girls game. Something like Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure with a somewhat more mature edge.