What Five Things Should I Buy at GenCon 2013?

edited July 2013 in Story Games
This is the latest iteration of my yearly shopping research thread. I'm asking for no more than five recommendations of the New Hotness / Coolness / Shiny from folks. It is totally cool to recommend something you've written or published or designed.

Comments

• My understanding is that Owl Hoot Trail _might_ be available at GenCon. If so, that would be a nice thing to buy. I am a co-author of it.
  • Do come by Hamster Press and check out Fairy Tale Assassin League. We also have the huge selection of stuffed animals and dragons, if you need a gift to take home to the kids.

Chris Engle
  • I know what the new hotness is*, but trends in distribution are shifting it seems - I have no idea if anybody at Gen Con is carrying the new hotness, which has, of course, just finished its hot hot Kickstarter campaign, right?

Johnstone Metzger's Adventures on Dungeon Planet is a blazing inferno of hotness but I don't think you'll find it at Gen Con. Same with his Metamorphica and everything else he is churning out like a dungeon boss.

As a consolation prize my game Carolina Death Crawl will be there in limited quantities and it is, if not hot, at least very shiny.

* Sagas of the Icelanders
  • Interestingly enough, I think most of the stuff that I put in for Kickstarter is coming to fruition and available at GenCon this year.

So I'd look for Numenara and Hillfolk (I have not played either, just supported). But if you liked parts of D&D3/4 but wish there was more story-stuff to it, check out 13th Age. It is the version of D&D that I always wish I had. Played the hell out of it in testing, planning on playing the hell out of it more.

And yeah, Owl Hoot Trail from Pelgrane Press. It's supposed to be out for GenCon, so check that out/ask them about it!

-Andy
  • Check out 13th Age, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Dungeon World, Shadowrun 5E, there is a lot good out this year.
  • Some good examples of the new hotness would include Hillfolk, Heroine, Tenra Bansho Zero, and I will shamelessly say Spark RPG.
  • I have played both Hillfolk (we just had our season finale yesterday - I think we ran about six episodes) and a one-shot of Heroine and can recommend them fully. TBZ I recommend because it is so pretty and I can't wait to play. I've been having a lot of fun drawing for it and coming up with a scenario I might like to run after I've had enough experience with it.

Genuinely too new at this to know what could be considered new and hot. Though I know of one or two things I want to recommend that I doubt will be available for purchase.
  • I've supported and second recommendations for Hillfolk and Heroine. I supported Sagas of the Icelanders, but only at the pdf level, so I might crack and get the hard copy if it's there. I'll definitely look at Owl Hoot Trail, and I'm quite curious about Fairy Tale Assassin League.

13th Age isn't my thing, but it does what it does very well, and I did love the One Unique Thing all PCs get. I missed the Spark kickstarter, so I do want to check that out, and I definitely want to look at TBZ. The Dungeon stuff is intriguing, but I should probably take a step back and try to play Dungeon World, especially if the new hotess isn't at GenCon.

It's been a while since I had a clue what was going on in the Shadowrun universe. I gather that 5E is, um, big? Very big? Star Wars: Edge of Empire slipped under my radar -- is this d20 / D&D SW or a completely different system?
  • Yeah, my stuff won't be on sale at GenCon (just the internet) but it's possible somebody might bring it and run it. Even if they don't though, you should definitely give Dungeon World a try.

Tenra Bansho Zero is also pretty rad, but is really big and weighs a lot!
  • Fortunately, UPS has a booth at GenCon. I have taken advantage of this several years running. (I also make my first shopping run with my wheeled suitcase. The one year I did without it, my knees hurt for several days afterwards.)
  • Hillfolk seems like the thing to get
  • The IPR booth will have Tenra Bansho Zero, Dungeon World (back in print yay!), Heroine, Fate Core, and Fate Accelerated, and Joe Mcdaldno's new small games Abnormal and [possibly not announced yet so I shouldn't say]. Also a handful of copies of 3:16 Carnage Among the Stars. Pelgrane Press should have 13th Age and Hillfolk. Both should have The Noteboard, a 15 by 35 inch foldable erasable whiteboard blank on one side and with square and hex grids on the other, suitable for writing sad things on.

IPR should also have some copies of The Magician, where you cast spells by learning and speaking Korean, and Tony Dowler's How to Host a Dungeon.
  • I love my Noteboard!
  • IPR or Noble Knight might have a few copies of my game from last year, The Daughters of Verona, left.

It is a brilliant story game in a gorgeous format, but a tad on the pricey side. It was a hazzle to print, I doubt there will be a second printing anytime soon.
  • Crafty Games just released a new game for parents to play with their kids: Little Wizards. I know a few people who are anxious to have a look at it.
  • I think I've seen Daughters of Verona for sale, but I haven't gotten a closer look at it. I should definitely check out Little Wizards, as, even if it turns out not my style, I have gamer friends with kids.

I'm also curious about Itras By.
  • IPR in Booth 1310 should have some copies of Daughters of Verona. And copies of Tony Dowler's The Seattle Doomsday Map, last seen at GPNW.
  • Seattle Doomsday Map? What is this? I think I missed an important memo.
  • If I were going to GenCon, I'd be buying a physical copy of Heroine.
  • Seattle Doomsday Map? What is this? I think I missed an important memo.
    http://www.neatorama.com/2013/03/12/Doomsday-Map-of-Seattle/

Tony has created a beautiful fold-out watercolour hand-painted map of post-apocalyptic Seattle. It comes with a travel guide to its charred wastes and dangerous post-apoc gang turf.

It is gorgeous, engrossing, and probably prophetic.
  • My understanding is that Owl Hoot Trail _might_ be available at GenCon. If so, that would be a nice thing to buy. I am a co-author of it.
    It will be. I hope it gets the love it deserves. Our group have played this game a lot and particularly enjoyed the swings of fortune which come with d20, the simplicity of the system and doing American accents. There's a grizzled Owl Bear with its lower beak missing which has been our bane since the start.

I am going to check out Dungeon World and Heroine.

• IPR in Booth 1310 should have some copies of Daughters of Verona. And copies of Tony Dowler's The Seattle Doomsday Map, last seen at GPNW.
    Thanks!