Roleplaying with Edison

edited July 2013 in Story Games

As in Edison, Ford, and Hoover are the bad guys. Go.

Comments

• So a straight history game?
  • I wanted to know who was who, so I searched, and found the following images. Hoover appears to be auditioning for the role of Kingpin of Crime (with Hair). Edison is scheming. And HENRY FORD WILL OWN YOUR SOUL.

image image image
  • Seriously these were all terrible men, although Hoover is bush league compared to the other two.

Here's Edison electrocuting an elephant named Topsy (trigger warning - an elephant gets fucking electrocuted by Thomas Edison):

Here's Henry Ford as an inspirational figure for Adolf Hitler (Trigger warning - fucking Nazis)

In contrast, probably Hoover's most reprehensible jagoffery was violently dismantling the Bonus Army:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

No need to slap any fantasy on these awful people to make them villains.
  • Hum... So you want us to make villains of Hoover - who saved millions from starvation, Ford - who paid his workers a decent wage, and Edison - who admittedly was a bastard tool but who electrified the world (with Tesla's invention), are bad guys?

I may not like them all but I can't see them as evil. And I'm a Democrat saying this about a Republican President.
  • If you get the attack on the Bonus Army in there, you get bonus Evul Points for also having MacArthur involved.
  • ...and Eisenhower. And Patton.
  • Hum... So you want us to make villains of Hoover - who saved millions from starvation, Ford - who paid his workers a decent wage, and Edison - who admittedly was a bastard tool but who electrified the world (with Tesla's invention), are bad guys?
    In a way, that's what makes this more interesting: the contrast between the surface description of these guys that you get as a kid and the darker side of these guys you find out about later when you scratch the surface a bit.

• edited July 2013
    Hum... So you want us to make villains of Hoover - who saved millions from starvation, Ford - who paid his workers a decent wage, and Edison - who admittedly was a bastard tool but who electrified the world (with Tesla's invention), are bad guys?
    It's not like we're not playing roleplaying games where everything can happen? :)

Edison was a bastard - a ruthless business man. He did one of the worst smear campaigns in the history. He and Tesla competed who would set the standard of electric distribution - Edison with his direct current (DC), and Tesla with his alternated current (AC). Edison's campaign was to tell everybody how dangerous AC is (DC is more dangerous) and did that by electrocuting the already mentioned elephant. He even lobbied for naming the electric chair after Tesla's company - a chair driven by AC - so everybody would think about death when his standard was mentioned. If Edison would've won the race, we would have a world of huge power plants every 1-2 mile. A cool world, but I think a world with gigantic tesla coils that produces wireless electricity through the earth would be cooler.

Ford, as a person, wasn't much better. He did manage to finally pull off a business with a car that had almost no brakes, but he had a despicable personality.

Funny enough, I know jack shit about Hoover, and if he's even worse... Wow! :) {edit] OK, bush league means "less than" or something similar. Me and my knowledge of old baseball terms. :)
  • So, we're talking a game like Hollowpoint, where you're all agents of Tesla?
  • Or your playing people who are trying to start a company around a new invention, only to be hindered by people like Edison and Ford. Their connection to Hoover doesn't make things easier.
  • Edison, Ford, and Hoover are in a punk band, and they travel through time, bringing music to the multiverse. They have no interest in politics--just the rock--but their lo-fi tunes cause a ripple in spacetime that changes everything.
  • Hoover is a fascinating person. He was a poor Quaker in California who went to Stanford for engineering. He made a fortune in Mining in the 90's and 00's. During WWI he independently organized famine relief in Europe. Then he worked for the Government during the war and handled relief work after the war. In the 20's he managed the government relief effort following the 1928 flood of the Mississippi that won him the Whitehouse. Poor him that he got the job then. As President I think he did jack shit, due to Republican ideals. But as a person I don't think he was reprehensible. He is the name sake of the Hoover Dam so his legacy still lives.

I imagine Ford was personally a nasty and Edison, well bastard tool is being kind. But Hoover, well that's not being fair. The Bonus March happened on his watch but I lay that on MacArthur rather than Hoover. He was to hands off as an executive.
  • Here's a fact about Herbert Hoover, he was a mining engineer who translated De re Metallica, a 16th century mining/smelting treatise into English in 1912. Maybe he was a SECRET ALCHEMISt?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
  • I see Ford as the real mystery man here. Eager visionary whose works had some unexpected downsides? Or fascist worker-torturing anti-semite who taught Germans how to be Nazis? I'd like to see both natures evident in play. Which will win / be revealed as the truth?
  • So all the characters could have a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on (except for Edison of course, he was just a tool).

Hey! Maybe Edison is the evil genius behind the Jekyll Hyde thing? Yeah...