[Want to Buy] Ashcan releases..

edited June 2013 in Story Games
I'm looking to buy some ashcan releases of RPG's.. any and all.. if you have one (either you bought it yourself or writer) please email me or whisper me or whatever.. (email is best) beasterbrook@hotmail.com

I'm also starting to have maybe an indie rpg buying spree as well, so am taking recommendations;)

Thanks

Brette:)

Comments

• you came to the right place :)
  • edited June 2013
    I thought it might be..

Anyway, couple of ashcans I picked up recently (just to start a list)...
    Galactic by Dog-eared Games
    Black Cadillacs by Darcu Burgess
    Ustio- The Rebirth by Full Void Studios
    Beowulf by Glyph Press
    Blood Red Sands by Ramshead Publishing

If you aren't selling can you add some details of what you have? hard to ask for things if I don't know they exist..

• IIRC there's an ashcan of Tales of the Fisherman's Wife.

Oh, and if you're on a buying spree:
    While the World Ends, an awesome sci-fi storygame: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/while-the-world-ends/13659977
    The Daughters of Verona, a brilliant game of Shakespearean comedy: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18647
  • I have a copy of the Acts of Evil ashcan I'll sell you. It is essentially unplayable but the cover is hand-made and spooky.

Since buying ashcans is a fool's errand even when they are new I'll assume you are a fool and ask $100.
  • There's something unbearably immodest about referring to one's own work as "awesome/brilliant."
  • If you would like an incomplete copy of a hand-crafted game, give me lots of money and I will personally make something for you. No guarantee of fun!
  • UserClone, I think it's an awesomely brilliant idea. :-)
  • Jackson has a bunch of semi-ashcan-like games available through his website: http://www.photographsoflightning.com/store/ (They are super awesome!)

The beta of Geiger Counter is available here. I recommend printing it as a stapled booklet at your local Kinkos and it'll be exactly the same as the other copies that exist: http://bleedingplay.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/geiger-beta1.pdf

I have a bunch of amazing ashcans and ashcan-like things that I won't part with, unfortunately, including:
    - Narcissist v 0.5
    - Revolucion! (Sage's first game!)
    - Sign in Stranger
    - Primitive and Manual of Threats
    - Kingdom of Nothing (now available in a full version)
    - Poison'd
    - The Smoke Dream (currently loaned out)
    - Silver & White
    - Ammo and Ammo2: Deus vs. Machina
    - Dungeon & Warrior
    - a bunch of others

Despite the sarcastic hatorade in this thread, ashcans are awesome, and I'm happy to set anybody straight about that if need be! Nothing is better than a handcrafted or photocopied game you bought at a rockshow or traded one of your own games for. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right. Many of them are substantially more successful as games than some "finished" games that I've bought, or offer unique types of play experiences that are otherwise impossible to find. I treasure them!
  • edited June 2013
    If you would like an incomplete copy of a hand-crafted game, give me lots of money and I will personally make something for you. No guarantee of fun!
    If this is Numena Inuma, then you'll have a slice of gaming history - playing this at GPNW 2007 was hugely inspiring. The pricetag here is a bit more nebulous than would be optimal, but if you consult with a cross section of 5 & year olds about what "lots of money" is, I bet your mean definition would run in the tens of cents. (But that one outlier who responds "eleventy kabillion thousand dollars" is really going to throw your scheme off)
  • edited June 2013
    Can we have an ashcan fight? I don't think ashcans are awesome; I think they are misguided and filled with pretense. Free games? Small games? Unpublishable games? Weird games? Handmade games? Two thumbs up. Calling these things ashcans and asking for money in exchange for something unfinished? I am not a fan. It was an interesting experiment that didn't help get any games finished as far as I know.

Jonathan, most of the games you listed don't fit my definition of ashcan, and I would never diss any of them. I won't even diss ashcans, just the concept.

Jackson, I declare the wood box edition of Inuma with crazy dice and little notebooks to be worth $200.
  • edited June 2013
    Yes, let's totally have an ashcan fight, but let's have it somewhere else, 'cause Brette's just trying to get his itch scratched for small partway-along gems and we don't need to muddy that up.

I don't even come down super hard on ashcans either way, but if anyone starts a thread about it I'll shout just to hear myself glory in the power of my internet caps.

edited: ooh, wooden box. Cool. I saw the crazy dice and just print outs, i think. maybe there were some notebooks though, I was taking in a lot of information.
  • Brette,

To alleviate my sarcasticness, here's some "ashcans," where "ashcan" means "like an ashcan, but on the internet."

* The Face of Angels
    * Inuma
    * Tiny Triangles, which was my bid to write a Mouse Guard RPG

If you really want one of these as an ashcan, message me. I could be convinced to print you a copy.
  • I have Acts of Evil and Psi Run! Both are beautiful and I'd like to hold on to them.

I like ashcans! Let's have that fight.
  • Thanks for the comments;)
    OK maybe if I narrow this down a bit, I'm after ashcans that actually have been released as ashcans.. ie the writer has attempted to sell printed copies at some stage (I only do print not pdf stuff).. Some of these "ashcans" are rather good (Beowulf above springs to mind)

@Wilhelm.. yes there is.. thanks
    @Jason.. thanks for the offer.. but you do realise that Paul still has copies.. (but thanks for the offer).. you post led me to Ashcan Front.. which added a few to the want list.. Giants RPG was released as an ashcan so after that..
    @j_walton.. thanks for the list I have Narcissist v 0.5 already.. (.9 was released as a pdf if I remember).. I'll look into the others

feel free to add titles etc, even if you aren't selling at this stage.. this is an info gathering as well as an attempt to buy some..

Thanks

• edited June 2013
    The ashcan edition of my game Sci-Fi Beta Kappa is out now, price £3 +p&p :)

• yes I did see that.. can you email me please
    Thanks

• edited August 2014
    Ok.. list of stuff I have or coming (just updating).. I'm still interested in more! ..ones noted above that I don't have and ones not noted that you may know about.;)

Have:
    Galactic
    Black Cadillacs
    Ustio- The Rebirth
    Beowulf
    Narcissist v 0.5
    Blood Red Sands
    Robots and Rapiers
    Acts of Evil
    Baccanal
    The Rustbelt
    Kagematsu
    Sci-Fi Beta Kappa
    The Smoke Dream
    Stranglehold
    XPS:Impact
    Year we all Died, The
    Alia Magica

• I've added a couple more..

Anyone else??

• Thanks for the comments;)
    Some of these "ashcans" are rather good (Beowulf above springs to mind)
    Wait, are we talking about the same Beowulf? Because the version I have is sort of an abomination.
    (Please don't hate me, JACN.)

It's basically In A Wicked Age, but with less explanation text, and one of the integral oracles is misprinted. I think the other mechanical addition (numerous) also had a misprint, but I don't think it was as egregious, not having it in front of me at this moment.
  • I'm commenting on the quaility of the physical product.. ie its rather professionally made.. not actually how it plays as an actual game;)

• Ah, I prefer less well made games that are playable. To each his own.
  • I'm still after these if anyone has any for sale..
  • I wanted to contribute with my own stuff, but as you only want physical items (not coming from your own printer, I presume) I fear my games don't qualify >__<
  • I wanted to contribute with my own stuff, but as you only want physical items (not coming from your own printer, I presume) I fear my games don't qualify >__<</blockquote>
    Why not get some printed? For the ashcan of my first game I had 25 copies (the minimum) printed, at a cost of £46. I'm sure there are pod printers local to you that could do them at a similar cost, or not much more.

• Because I really don't see the point of an "ashcan" printed version.
    If I have to go through the hassle of a printed version, I want it to be a good thing, a final version, not an ashcan :\

Besides, one is a nanogame... it fits into one large businesscard and four slim ones... it's cheaper for everyone to get the pdf and print it yourself :P

The other is a 100 page book I'm considering developing as a web-app instead of the usual .pdf

But maybe it is just me... I'm in a phase where I see physical paper as fundamentally dead, and only viable as a luxury item meant for collection purposes :P
  • edited January 2014
    Because I really don't see the point of an "ashcan" printed version.
    If I have to go through the hassle of a printed version, I want it to be a good thing, a final version, not an ashcan :\
    Fair enough.

• I don't mind buying finished games as well you know;) (...but only print;)

• added a couple more to the list I have..

• bump-e-bump

Still after some if people are selling..
  • edited July 2014
    Hey Brette, I was just thinking about you the other day.
    Do you still need The Year We All Died? nvmd
    I also came across the playtest version of The Riddle Of Steel,
    and have the "white book" for Land Of Yeld,
    for you to flesh out your Jake Richmond collection.

Final version of Land of Yeld isn't released yet, but it's coming.

The RoS and LoY are professionally printed books, no or minimal art, perfect bound.

Leemme know!
  • Thanks ... Yes interested
  • Updated the list again.. got an old beta test called "Alia Magica: Limitations Not Included" looks like released at gencon 1997 ish.. might have missed a couple me thinks as well.. still looking folks;)

• bump de bumo.. still looking
  • edited January 2015
    I have copies of the beta version of my game Where The Heart Is available, but I'd advise hanging on for a bit because I aim to publish beta versions of two or three other GIPs very shortly.
  • edited January 2015
    Double post.

• Added a few more... more?

(List in alphabetical order)

Acts of Evil
    Alia Magica
    Baccanal
    Black Cadillacs
    Blood Red Sands
    Beowulf
    Galactic
    Heart of the Rose
    Kagematsu
    Know Thyself
    Land Of Yeld
    Mars Colony
    Narcissist v 0.5
    Narcissist v 0.7.3
    Robots and Rapiers
    Rustbelt, The
    Sci-Fi Beta Kappa
    Sign In Stranger
    Smoke Dream, The
    Stranglehold
    Ustio- The Rebirth
    With Great Power
    Year we all Died, The

• The beta version of my new game Where the Heart is goes up on DriveTHRU later this week, price £3. I have some copies of the penultimate edit (which includes a few typos) that I'm selling for £2 +postage if you're interested?
  • yes please.. just email me.. email address is in the first post;)
  • catty_big please send me an email;) beasterbrook@hotmail.com

Thanks

• Arrived Catty_big:)

added a couple more:

Acts of Evil
    Alia Magica
    Baccanal
    Black Cadillacs
    Blood Red Sands
    Beowulf
    Daisho: Soul of the Samuurai
    Galactic
    Heart of the Rose
    Kagematsu
    Know Thyself
    Land Of Yeld
    Mars Colony
    Narcissist v 0.5
    Narcissist v 0.7.3
    Robots and Rapiers
    Rustbelt, The
    Sci-Fi Beta Kappa
    Sign In Stranger
    Smoke Dream, The
    Stranglehold
    Ustio- The Rebirth
    Where the Heart Is
    With Great Power
    Year we all Died, The
  • I recently updated my halfmeme.com website with a page that lists the games that were done as ashcans the two years of The Ashcan Front at Gen Con.
    halfmeme.com/theashcanfront.html
    The lists are about halfway down.

Paul
  • Simple Superheroes had a couple Pre-release versions that I still have a few printed copies left of.
    The game is up on kickstarter now and its funded, so they'll be an official print version soon...
  • I recently updated my halfmeme.com website with a page that lists the games that were done as ashcans the two years of The Ashcan Front at Gen Con.
    halfmeme.com/theashcanfront.html
    The lists are about halfway down.
    Paul, when I click the "write-up (with images)" link to Story Games I get "Page Not Found".
  • Ah, Story Games has a different url format since I made that link. I'm fixing it now. Here's the correct link:
    story-games.com/forums/discussion/comment/44354/#Comment_44354

Paul
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for the list.. have some.. but of course need to fill in some gaps;)

• bump... still looking for stuff..
  • edited January 2016
    SkipJack is almost ready, and Great Minds, A Gorilla in Manila and Dead Man Talking will be ready soon.
  • What are you looking for in an ashcan? How is it different from, well, any other game?

If you can answer that, I may have some offerings for you!
  • I'm after any sort of printed RPG that has been sold or produced (given away, promotional copies etc).. (that's my broad collection).. it must be printed (not a pdf release)..