Outdoor-friendly games

edited May 2013 in Story Games
Spring is springing, the weather is getting nice. Playing inside doesn't always cut it - what are your experiences playing tabletop RPGs outdoors? How did you manage the potential pitfalls (papers blowing away, uneven ground for maps, etc.)? What games are best for outdoor play?

Comments

• Use stones to hold down sheets and don't play map-heavy games.

Ribbon Drive would work great you have a great outdoor sound set-up and don't have a lot of ambient noise where you live.

I had a fun game of Fiasco outside, character was a bit of a hassle from the wind, but once the game started things flowed naturally.

Really, any paper-lite game works well.
  • We played a game using the WaRP system by getting small dice -- either 8 or 10 mm. Take one of one color, two of a second, and three of a third. Put them into one of those bubble containers from a bubblegum machine. You now have a portable set of dice and can roll a number of combinations, including bonus and penalty dice.

And, if you're using WaRP / OTE character creation, the character sheet can fit on the back of a business card. Or, you know, you can just remember it, or put it online / read it on your phone / tablet. Easy peasy.
  • A good solution to the wind problem is to use plastic sheet protectors and three-ring binders. (With the right kind of dry-erase marker, you can even write on 'em. Plus, it's a good excuse to indulge your office supply addiction!)
  • Mist-Robed Gate is often played outdoors, because that's where you can more reliably find tables you're allowed to stab with a knife.
  • Steffan O'Sullivan's Sherpa is designed to be played while walking.
  • I could see The Quiet Year with the map drawn in the dirt, a handful of dice marking projects, and someone holding the deck....
  • Steffan O'Sullivan's Sherpa is designed to be played while walking.
    I think that The Nightime Animals Save the World was also designed with this in mind.
  • How about Vast and Starlit? It's so tiny it can't blow away!
  • Well, I call The Trouble with Rose a parlor game since you don't sit around a map and roll dice. You have an index sized character sheet, a hidden playing card, all held down by your hand of dominos. It sounds fairly wind proof.
  • Oh also! Baron von Munchausen is an outdoor, firepit, drinking kind of game!
  • I've played summers of games semi-outdoors in Illinois -- grab some citronella (mosquitos are heinous beasts,) pop a garage door open, remove vehicles, setup tables, play in the garage.

This is largely from a wargames influence -- 8x8 tables are fairly difficult to setup indoors, right? Or even just a couple 4x6 tables. That said, it's pleasant, so we played a lot of WFRP3 outside.

And we played a lot of White Wolf outside -- except it was that kind where you just talked and never rolled dice.

But yeah, garages. I've enjoyed that environment quite a bit. Also removes the whole "wait let's take a break so people can smoke" if you have that particular impediment in your games!