I have renamed the term "Lonely Fun"

Now it (and a larger umbrella of related things) are called [a game's] Solitaire Component.

Now, there's no need for hateration or disagreement. I've just gone and done this, so now it's done,
and I, playing the role of the Clown D' Fenêtre, shall leave it so. Please, update your breain's, and your
poc-ket noetbooks, and trumpet what needs be trumpeted from the rooftops.

Q: What The Fuck Is A Solitaire Component?

A: Simmer the assbum down! A solitaire component is the part of the game that one does on one's own.
So, in some games that's character creation. Sometimes that's drawing up a map & populating it.
Sometimes it's picking out songs for a soundtrack, or making props, or maybe it's the whole game.
(That's a be called a solitaire game, then.)

It's been pointed out (today, in the front yard) that lotsa games have solitaire component-like
expectations, but not a lot of guidance. Like, they don't feel like a part of the game. Like, Ad&d 2nd edition
(CLEARLY THE METRIC BY WHICH ALL GAMES ARE MEASURED IN 2013) sort of has a free-formy
world building solitaire component. Stars Without Number, on the other hand, or Ribbon Drive,
have super clear & fun directions for their solitaire components, which feels like part of the game!

GLAD TO HAVE CONVINCED YOU NOW SPREAD THE GOOD WORD

love and kisses,
your Cd'F

Comments

• Oh, neat.

I'm excited to use this term alongside "lonely fun," though not in replacement of it. "Lonely fun" just has this poetry to it. You've stumbled upon a secret art, one the rest of the world doesn't understand. The alchemical process of turning graph paper and napkin scribbles into something shareable and exciting. The sun is shining outside, but you'd rather attend to this secret art, this lonely sort of fun.

Lonely fun is an experience. Solitaire components are activities.

...is what i think.
  • I'm with Mr. Lightning. I mean, reading a book is "lonely fun," right?

But Solitaire Components are parts of games. Yeah.
  • edited April 2013
    Everybody knows the rule. All role-playing terminology should be fashioned after sex terminology (kink, BDSM, common innuendo, etc.). It's been like this since the turn of the century and we're not gonna change.
  • [logs alt accound]

OP is a dillbag

not an aware scratch on him

I'm with m. ldno there r 2 and the old one is better than the new one
    also mr. fu had a good sex info
  • [logs regular account]

Hi no u other guy is a faceass

listen all actuvities are lonely u only notice urself when u are alone & all activities u are alone
    always it doesn't matter if the faceless throng is pushins past u or u are out with friends carousing
    and gerymandering all their smiles hide glaze of not knowing who the fuck u r

also all activities r fun, c above or whatever

wait is this my alt account fuck *checks and it isn't* I don't know what part of my personality is at the forefront in this fiction anymore fuuuuuuuuuu
  • More jargon? FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!$$$!$!$%%##secretmessage!"'%
  • This whole idea is a Clown De Fenêtre.
  • edited April 2013
    definevwhat u mean by clown is that for sex tho
  • This whole idea is a Clown De Fenêtre.
    What does that mean? Defenestrated clown? Clown out the window? Is it a Watchmen reference?
  • Is everybody drunk? I feel left out.
  • There is no better symbol for lonely fun than a defenestrated clown. Q.E.D.
  • Is this like when the Lumpley-Care Principle started being called the "Loopily Poopily"?
  • Bill I believe the literal translation would be "clown window", like a scratched plexiglass window through which one peers at clowns.
  • Bill I believe the literal translation would be "clown window", like a scratched plexiglass window through which one peers at clowns.
    Grammatically speaking, wouldn't that be a fenetre de clown? Clown de fenetre would surely be a clown who looks out of said window.

• Lonely fun with the French language.
  • I wrote a custom AW-esque move for Jacob

When you feel left out, drink.

Ok, actually that move is taken from history. Maybe could be credited to "Europe," i don't know.

I don't think the Solitaire Component is too much like the Loopily Poopily b/c w/ the Loopily Poopily
    you've got to eat right & exercise regularly (or irregularly amirite like w/ jerky motions) and the Solitaire
    Component doesn't track or interact with your food intake or your Expected Muscle Index (EMI) or whatever. But i guess the whole "You are what you are" aspect still applies, idk.

Hey, guess what, i'm gonna bribe everyone who uses the term & eschews the old dynasty, leaving it burning behind us like we left our homes (lol too soon sorry heh) by giving them a "Solitiara Coronet"

This is a real offer i am not fucking around.
    Use the term in a meaningful way and start tracking your rewards.
    "Oh its like a game i like games" -You
  • Oh yeah, Bill_White, it is now totally a Watchmen ref.
  • Oh yeah, Bill_White, it is now totally a Watchmen ref.
    Good. Because that means I understood what you meant the whole time. Otherwise, we'd have to admit that the French have simply beaten us again with their language, coining a phrase for which we English speakers simply have no equivalent, and leaving those of us who peer at clowns--through a glass darkly or otherwise--speechless and dumb. Like Wittgenstein says: whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent.
  • When you gaze too much into the clown, THE CLOWN GAZES INTO YOU
  • the French have simply beaten us again with their language, coining a phrase for which we English speakers simply have no equivalent
    1. vis-à-vis
    2. fiancé
    3. naïve
    4. hors d'œuvre
    5. clown de fenêtre
  • 6. je ne sais quoi

• Yeah, it's more 'window clown' than 'clown window'. Either way, I think we can agree.
  • GLAD TO HAVE CONVINCED YOU NOW SPREAD THE GOOD WORD

love and kisses,
    your Cd'F
    Glad to see this done! You have done a great service to humanity! Thank you so very much, Cd'F!

"Spread the good word"; will do!

Love and kisses!

• FYI THE "WINDOW" IS A FUNHOUSE MIRROR YOU CARDS

SO THE CLOWN IS YOU.

EXCEPT ITS ME (see OP) DRESSED AS YOU, IN THE BATHROOM IN YOUR HOME.

WHAT AM I DOING THERE?

WHY DON'T YOU COME FIND OUT

WHY DON'T YOU LEARN HOW MUCH OF A FUNHOUSE YOUR BATHROOM CAN BE

hint: solitaire component. Actually just using the facilities be out in a sec
  • the French have simply beaten us again with their language, coining a phrase for which we English speakers simply have no equivalent
    1. vis-à-vis
    2. fiancé
    3. naïve
    4. hors d'œuvre
    5. clown de fenêtre
    6. le weekend
    7. le boyfriend

I called the guy who messed up my lunch order today a fucking clown window, but I'm pretty sure he thought I said clown widow because of the way I talk.
  • window clown is the concept for my next character, whatever game
  • Waiting for the Italian version of this game to be released by Narrativa: Pagliacci di l'finestra.
  • edited April 2013
    the French have simply beaten us again with their language, coining a phrase for which we English speakers simply have no equivalent
    1. vis-à-vis
    2. fiancé
    3. naïve
    4. hors d'œuvre
    5. clown de fenêtre
    No problem, we just steal them; they're OUR words now, and the French can't have 'em back.
  • edited April 2013
    window clown is the concept for my next character, whatever game
    I can imagine the char gen section in the book; the section on classes has the following list:

Rogue
    Merchant
    Mage
    Fighter
    Monk
    Window clown

• seems legit
  • edited April 2013
    I love the multi-classing possibilities.

Rogue window clown

Window clown merchant*

etc

*: le marchand de clown de fenetre
  • Rogue window clown
    This sounds like a shop window dummy gone amok, as in a Dr Who ep or a weird and unfathomable sci-fi film (Vivienne Westworld?).
  • And here I thought it was something to do with old superheroes being thrown out of windows as a metaphor for "this ain't your daddy's game."
  • BUT HOW DOES IT FIT INTO MY ANTI OPPRESSION POLICY TEGU

HOW

DO

ES

ET

FIT

I DONT KNOW IF

I AM

ANGRY

OR ]

CONGRATULAROY
  • Congratularoy? A kind of regal gratitude?

• Yeah, it's more 'window clown' than 'clown window'. Either way, I think we can agree.
    So, how many Brits now have Tommy Cooper stuck in their heads?

Window... Clown. Clown... Window.

Just like that.
  • (Vivienne Westworld?).
    This needs to be a band name or album name, stat.
  • BUT HOW DOES IT FIT INTO MY ANTI OPPRESSION POLICY TEGU
    *Is serious for once*

Bizarrely, the term Solitaire Component originated when a friend expressed how the term Lonely Fun interfered with an aspect of the playful life that they deeply enjoy, and that nourishes them - the time they spend dreaming up things to share with their beloved collaborators.

Since this friend experiences a lot of loneliness, and those experiences are uniformly unpleasant, attempting to connect the term Lonely Fun with the activities that nourished them caused them discomfort and emotional upset (and not the kind that they were gleefully jotting down on notecards, either).

The word "Fun" seems misleading to me, too, so I decided to strike that as well. "Fun" seems sugary, and loud, and like a binary, and like a precedent.

So we arrive at the dry and banal Solitaire Component. Humble, scientific; a thing that you do without pomp or the kind of self-aware stance that is required to diagnose one's activity as "Fun" or "Not Fun." Just a thing that you do, for your own complicated or simple reasons, as part of the larger whole of your activities.

Q: "Why are you spending your time doing that Lonely Fun stuff?"
    A: *defends & attempts to explain motivations*

Q: "Why are you spending your time doing that Solitaire Component?"
    A: *Ignores speaker* OR "It supports the other parts of what I'm doing."

Thanks for asking. That's how it fits in; via its history and defensible implications.
  • I speak french and design RPGs but for the life of me, I have NO FUCKING IDEA what's happening here.

Except for les clowns de fenêtre. It's not a window for clowns, people, it's the other way 'round : its a small clown replica you hang on your window at night, so feral clowns will think there's already a clown in there and leave you alone.

(Feral clowns are real territorial and a serious problem in France and neighboring French-speaking countries, thanks to all those publicly financed clown schools back in the nineties. "Pour la culture" my sweet ass.)
  • "Lonely fun" is only perjorative if you decide it is, why not own it as an example of the best kind of lonely - alone, alive, engaged and playful? That's how I have always seen it. Your windowclown reframing only tarnishes something beautiful! Why do you hate fun?
  • If we allready write is as one word we might as well go Windowclown
  • While I somewhat agree with Jason's interpretation of Lonely Fun (it's why I still use "Dirty Hippie Games" lovingly when talking about the style of gaming I like), I was able to pick up where you were coming from in the OP Jackson, and you framed it crystal clear further in your last post there (you could have stopped with "it made my friend feel good about himself" and I'm in with double thumbs up).

So what I'll probably end up doing is what I do when I use "dirty hippie games": When I talk to others about Solitary Components, I'll call them solitary components. When I'm talking about my own engagement with them, I'll probably lovingly call it "lonely fun".
  • Greg just made me laugh out loud on the train. Now people are looking at me weird. Is this... clown empathy I'm feeling?
  • Nice, Andy. You & Mcdaldno seem to be in the same den there, finding different use for both terms. That's great!

JasonUnderscoreMorningstar,
    the best kind of lonely - alone, alive, engaged and playful?
    brb making a t-shirt

also, this is relevant lyricz winnipeg emo rock watch out waekerthainz

Also, Greg, *hands award*
  • I like Solitaire Component. Also, happy 2013.
  • edited April 2013
    These window dangly clowns, to keep the wild clowns away; where can I get one?

• Lots of Forge terms could use some renaming...

It's not as pejorative as the dreaded "lonely fun", but I think renaming "brain damage" as "learning" might facilitate some good conversations.
  • window clown is the concept for my next character, whatever game
    I'm actually going to be playing a clown character at a larp in about 2 weeks.

Strongly considering doing the "carry around an empty picture frame" thing, to add a window clown aspect to it.