introductory story games for a novice

edited March 2013 in The Sandbox
could someone intorduce me to some story games?

Comments

• Fiasco is a nice quick-and-dirty way to show off a game that breaks a lot of typical conventions. It's pretty easy to get into, as well--easy enough to pick up and just play.
  • What kind of movies, TV and books do you like?
  • What interests you when you hear "story games"?

What worries you when you hear "story games"?
  • edited March 2013
    What interests you when you hear "story games"?

What worries you when you hear "story games"?
    Good questions Paul. I'm going to use them in future when I come across folks new to roleplaying, substituting RPGs for story games where appropriate.

• edited March 2013
    John Harper's Lady Blackbird is what opened my eyes to games that don't have to be a textbook covering every single tiny little element of play. From there, I was much more open to non-traditional games.
  • John Harper's Lady Blackbird is what opened my eyes to games that don't have to be a textbook covering every single tiny little element of play. From there, I was much more open to non-traditional games.
    A couple of years ago I was asked to run a game for the bar staff who'd been working at the site of a big UK Con for the previous 5-6 years or so and were curious about what gaming was all about. I chose Lady Blackbird (partly because nothing I had with me to run fitted and I was asked after arriving on site) and it went very well indeed. I'd happily run it for novices again.
  • To be honest I'm much happier running a game for new players than for experienced traditional gamers. They are more of a blank canvas that accepts ideas rather than a Mona Lisa that objects to the moustache.
  • To be honest I'm much happier running a game for new players than for experienced traditional gamers. They are more of a blank canvas that accepts ideas rather than a Mona Lisa that objects to the moustache.
    Amen!
    That's a really good metaphor. It gets across the (sometimes) vehemence of the rejection, the validity of the rejection, and that said rejection is bloody annoying when all you care about in life is painting Lemmy from Motorhead.

• There are also some games that are easiest to be taught and others that are easiest to pick up and learn from the rules.
  • edited March 2013
    I think Polaris, 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars, and Don't Rest Your Head are all excellent and eye opening. Oh, and I agree with the Lady Blackbird suggestion.
  • Storygames user no 17.

Love it.
  • edited March 2013
    --
  • Have you tried MY GAME? MY GAME sounds perfect for you! You should try it!
  • I'd like to suggest Geiger Counter, or Escape from Tentacle City; the tropes are so well known that it's easy to get into, and the rules have a clear step-by-step sequence for play.
  • Hey, those of you who answered in good faith and with kindness - you are all awesome.

Do note that this is a sandbox thread and as has been pointed out, Dev sort of has a handle on the whole "story game" thing, having personally written an excellent one.

I just chatted with him and this was meant to be humorous, so feel free to make your best ridiculous suggestions.