Go Play Northwest (June 2007)

edited November 2006 in Meetups / Conventions
In the great city of Seattle, Washington, at a moderately nice hotel, there shall be a weekend of those games we like to play. We (a committee of five that includes myself, John Harper, Tony Dowler and other guys you like) are currently scouting locations and generally trying to finalize a time. Right now, we are heavily leaning towards one of the following weekends:

June 1-3
June 8-10
June 15-17

Our favorite is June 8-10. That's Friday through Sunday. Yes, we will have full-on gaming on Sunday. (Friday will be a little less structured.) June 15-17 has Father's Day in it so it is the least likely of the bunch.

We currently think our location will be a hotel in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. Food and drink are plentiful nearby and things are just generally swell there. The problem is that rooms will be more expensive - we don't yet have a quote that feels solid enough to relay to you all - and we will likely have to ask a touch more for covering the meeting space. That's just how it has to be in a place like Seattle proper.

As far as scheduling events, we want to follow the Forge Midwest model and keep things fairly loose, but we will be applying some technology to try and make things a little more transparent, both before and during the event. This will probably just amount to a wiki page.

It would be great if we could start to get an idea of who's interested in coming. Since we're posting this notice in multiple fora, we'd like to not do that part here in the forum thread. To express your interest in attending, send email to goplaynw@gmail.com. Feel free to include any preferences or commentary in your email for our reference. Some things you could possibly tell us that would be helpful:
Name
Address
Phone
Email
I will be renting a hotel room
I will be sharing someone else's room or staying off site
I'm not sure if I will be renting a hotel room
Game(s) I want to run
Game(s) I want to play
How I heard about Go Play NW
Comments and suggestions

This thread is of course for anything else you might do besides RSVP: express excitement and undying love, complain, tell us we're stupid, etc.

West Coast represent! Gooooo Play!

Comments

• Whatsamatter? You all scared to throw down with some Northwesterners? :)
  • Hey ya. I sent you a private response; I'd certainly be interested and I know other people who would be as well. I want to play The Zantabulous Zorcerer of Zo! It should be out by then. :-)

In the mean time, you guys might consider running story games at the upcoming Emerald City Gamefest. It's a general RPG (and other game) event, but I will try running a PDQ game for the first time. I'd love to meet more gamers interested in story games! At least, drop by and talk to me about Go Play NW. ;-)
  • RSVP'd. I'm down to Go Play. :)

I've never been inclined to go to a Con (though the utter dearth of story game opportunities here in Portland has me considering it), but this sounds like it might be my speed...
  • I've never been inclined to go to a Con (though the utter dearth of story game opportunities here in Portland has me considering it), but this sounds like it might be my speed...

You live in Portland? Shit, just come over to my house. We play all kinds of shit.

Or are you someone who already comes over and I just don't recognize your secret identity?

Anyway, I'm up for Go Play NW. I'll do whatever needs to be done.
  • May...be. If I can find cheap enough airfare.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Mike - do you want to announce this on PortlandIndependentRPG?

Jake, do you know about the PortlandIndependentRPG Yahoo group?

I'm definitely interested in this event, not sure I can commit yet though.

Frank
  • When you get a chance, could you guys also give more background, maybe an idea of the scope? Is it expected to be 20-40 hardcore gamers in a conference room, or more like a regular con, or a quasi-trade show, etc.? And will you need help organizing the event?
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanMay...be. If I can find cheap enough airfare.

yrs--
    --Ben
    I'll buy three more copies of Polaris and put them in the hands of wise, idealistic fools if you'll come and be my Mistaken for five hours... ;-)
  • Posted By: AnemoneWhen you get a chance, could you guys also give more background, maybe an idea of the scope? Is it expected to be 20-40 hardcore gamers in a conference room, or more like a regular con, or a quasi-trade show, etc.? And will you need help organizing the event?
    I think that what we envision is a bunch of gamers getting together in a hotel conference room playing games then hitting the pub afterwards. We want to give everyone the opportunity to make new friends, renew old friendships, play one anothers games, and talk about gaming. We have no current plans for any trade show type stuff or panels, though we're open to good ideas. We'll have more to say about the exact details as we guage response and get closer to the event. And yes, we'd be glad to have help, especially as the date gets closer.
  • Jake, do you know about the PortlandIndependentRPG Yahoo group?

I do now. I'll check it out.
  • I've decided that, logistics and budget permitting, I'm going to go. Looking forward to it ^-^
  • Excellent. We really ought to get you guys an update. That'll be easier after the holidays, though.
  • Yes, I'm eagerly looking forward to more ifo as well.
  • I'll buy three more copies of Polaris and put them in the hands of wise, idealistic fools if you'll come and be my Mistaken for five hours... ;-)
    That should go aways toward paying for the plane ticket!

I'd love to go too. I'll have to see what life hands me between then and now, but it's sorely tempting.