The Daughters of Verona available at IPR.

edited December 2012 in Directed Promotion

Comments

• This is a strange and original game of storytelling which I'd heartilly recommend!
  • Congratulations, looks great!
  • Should I buy it via IPR or somewhere else? (Asking since I live in Norway, just two blocks down the road from Wilhelm, if one block is 70 miles or something).
  • @Wilhelm, I'm curious whether there is a PDF of the main rules, or at least a preview available to view?
  • Matthijs, I will leave everything to IPR in the future. But right now I have two sets (still in shrink wrap) left after the release party. Shipping stuff from Sweden is frightfully expensive though, it might be cheaper to order from IPR anyway, I don't know what they charge for shipping. But if you want it right away I think it would be quicker to take one of my sets.
  • Caesar_X, well, no. Not as such. But you can get the Game Chef version from https://wilper.wordpress.com/the-daughters-of-verona . The rules of the printed version are not exactly the same, but it will give you a general idea. There are some Actual Plays and reviews linked from http://wilhelmsgames.wordpress.com/the-daughters-of-verona , if you'd like to see what others think of the game.
  • Thanks, @Wilhelm that's exactly what I was looking for.

Would you like to talk about the process of turning a Game Chef submission into a boxed game on IPR? I'd love to hear what you changed, what you learned, and how happy you were with the finished product.
  • edited January 2013
    Caesar_X, thanks for asking. If I were to go into any detail over the process we would end up with a post longer than the game. :-) But I'll try to keep it short.

Why make it into a boxed game at all? There are multiple reasons for doing this. I want people to play the game, but cutting and assembling a copy can take hours. I think that is a larger impediment than the price (we'll get back that later) for many out there. Also, when you buy a game you make an investment in it, and being invested brings commitment and makes a good basis for having fun later.

I like the process of turning an idea into a finished product. For me, the getting the first acceptable proof from the printer after a year's work is a source of true happiness. I've done it four times now, and every time it gives me a positive buzz that lasts for a week or so. :-)

I'm a software designer, doing games has no bearing on putting meals on the table or roof over my head. Those of you who buy TDoV are not really paying me for the costs I had in producing it, those costs were covered by those who bought While the World Ends. Instead you finance my next project; artwork, playtesting etc. And of course, seeing someone take interest in my game when buying it gives a positive boost.

If you pirate one of my games and feel you'd like to give something back, post an AP or review, it will give me more enjoyment than the money I would have gotten from your purchase (of course, if you'd like to send me money and gifts after the fact, go ahead :-) ). Doing small scale game design, printing via POD, and shipping stuff back and forth across the world eats a surprisingly large chunk of the sticker price.

What was changed?

The rules now allow for a variable number of players/actors. The free version is fixed at five.

There are rules for making asides (this was proposed by one of the troupes who played the free version).

There are more cards, and the cards have higher resolution on the pictures.

The rules are rewritten from scratch to be more pedagogical, including examples taken from actual Shakespeare plays showing how the mechanics are used. In the free version you'll have to read and understand the rules before you can play. In the printed version you can sit down with the box and follow the instructions from page 1 and have a good time. This was a change to make the game more accessible, and to match how most people play/learn boardgames.

How happy am I?
    First, one must understand that small scale game design can't compete with large scale game design when it comes to component quality. Both as a producer and consumer.

When you give me $45 you get a flimsy box, a soft generic insert, a booklet with the rules where the middle spread has to be pulled to free character summary, and two decks of cards.

When you give (e.g.) Fantasy Flight $45 you get a sturdy box, which is huge in order to fit the custom plastic miniatures, counters, map sections, full colour rule book, dice etc, all held in place by a custom hard insert.

That said, I am very pleased. Superior POD, for all their faults in other departments, make excellent cards. The cards in TDoV are of excellent quality, and they would stand a comparison with the FF ones. Once you're actually know how to play the game all you see are the cards. It will not feel like a sub par experience.

And I managed to be able to provide it for as low a price as $45. Buy the game with four friends and play it a single time. It's less than $10 per player for 4 hours of laughter and fun. Compare that to theatre or movie tickets. The game has excellent replay value, but even if you choose to throw away* after the first session I would be surprised if you were to say you didn't get your money's worth.

What did I learn.
    I now have the confidence and know-how to do the technical side of card game production. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

I know a lot about the workings of Superior POD, I'll leave those details for some other time.

I sort of knew from before, but it became very clear to me in the Shakespeare GC. The number of possible great gaming ideas are infinite. Even if you put many limitations in place, different designers will produce different games. I think I'm the third or fourth designer from that year to reach the market with a polished entry as a finished product. And the games are all very different. No more similar to each other than any four random games in the Fantasy genre are.

* Don't do that, give it to some non-gaming theatre buff as an introduction to the hobby instead.
  • Congrats, Wilhelm. This was a very solid contest draft and I can't wait to see the finished game.
  • Jonathan, thanks!
  • Great writeup, thanks!
  • @Matthijs I think it depends how fast you want it. While ordering from IPR can take you a week or longer, I had my copy from Wilhelm in my hands just two or three days after payment (and this was during the Christmas season).
  • edited January 2013
    The game seems to be selling at a rate of two copies / week. Which would make the game sell out before summer, if it keeps, and if I don't go back to SuperiorPOD for more.

Anyone from here who bought it? It would be nice to hear comments on esp. component quality. Does the game live up to the expectations?

My interactions with SuperiorPOD were not entirely friction free, but I have not been able to find a match in the area of card printing quality. However, if I'm the only one that thinks the cards are any good I'll start looking at getting another supplier for the second print run.

(If you actually played the game (either the printed, the GameChef or the exclusive Epimas edition, I would love to hear from you, of course.)
  • I give this thread a gentle bump now that another month has gone by. The sales are holding a good pace, and it seems it'll sell out before the summer.

Did anyone here get it? What do you think of the component quality?
  • I didn't sell out. There are still a couple of copies left. And now IPR wants the shelf space for newer games.

I have put the remaining stock down to $14.99 if you hesitated before, grab the game now.

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18647