[Monsterhearts] without monsters (Veronica Mars)

edited December 2012 in Story Games
It seems to me that the blood and guts of Monsterhearts would be perfect for running "Veronica Mars" with the serial numbers filed off. Does the assembled wisdom of S-G think that this can be done with playbooks alone (no supernatural elements), or would this require a fuller re-jiggering of the AW-->Monsterhearts hack/adaptation?

Comments

• Not really familiar with Veronica Mars, but if it involves teens, drama, and sex, it should probably work by adjusting the playbooks to be more mundane or adding new ones more appropriate for the theme. Maybe the only real tinkering would involve handling the Darkest Self. Not sure what a non-monstrous version would be.

I've had inklings of using Monsterhearts to do a run inspired by anime like Beck, Paradise Kiss, and NaNa, with heavy mixes of yaoi and yuri.
  • I dunno about MH, but I sure think AW's Operator could be a model. She even moonlights.
  • The Chosen (Veronica Mars)
    The Mortal (Wallace Fennel)
    The Serpentine (Logan Echolls)
    The Queen (Weevil)

The Serpentine requires some tweaking, but not much. Most of this "hack" comes down to pre-game agreements at the table, and avoiding specific moves. I'll also point out though that a sideways interpretation of the show's first season reveals a supernatural element: Lily Kane is The Ghost.

I love Veronica Mars.
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah, I like the idea of re-interpreting the monstrousness back out of the game.

It's all metaphor for real-life stuff anyway. Maybe your Werewolf is an alcoholic father in this game, struggling with his out-of-control temper. The Ghost is just someone who seems invisible socially. And so on.

[Edit: I mentioned Monsterhearts in this light in the "Mundane RPGs" thread some few days ago, but no one bit my hook there!]

• [Edit: I mentioned Monsterhearts in this light in the "Mundane RPGs" thread some few days ago, but no one bit my hook there!]
    I'm sorry I hadn't noticed! Sometimes the threads move so quickly between when I log on... I'll have to go digging for it later.
  • I'm taking this as an excuse to watch through Veronica Mars again and take some notes with Monsterhearts/* World in mind. Hmmmm.
  • Yeah, I think you could run Monsterhearts straight, but with the monstrous stuff just being a metaphor or allegory for what was actually happening.
  • My 1 player MH game was heading pretty much in that direction. I learned that my player wasn't comfortable being the typical alienated teenage misfit unaccepted in the school that most MH characters are. She played it straight - shying away from dangling storyhooks because her character wanted to slide under the radar - trying to survive in what she saw as a hostile environment. I was puzzling how to get her involved in adventures if she wasn't going to bite on the hooks when I struck upon the idea of inverting the situation. Instead of being isolated, a series of events put her in the situation of being seen as 'a bit weird' but the right person to go to if you had a problem and so classmates started coming up to her needing help with their problems. As she liked mysteries / investigative stuff, if we'd had carried on I was thinking of plundering some Veronica Mars storylines to reskin for the game.
  • I'm comfortable with using the monstrous bits without reifying the metaphor, but the folks I'd like to rope in with this are much more likely to be convinced without the supernatural overlay. It's worth a shot, anyway...
  • I've been working on a Skin that would cover more of the snoopy aspects of Veronica Mars, not as easy as it looks. I'd like something that covers Veronica Mars, the kid from the movie Brick, and the eponymous Gossip Girl blogger. I've been looking to the Operator for inspiration, also the Snoop and Flake playbooks from Monster of the Week which are quite nifty.
  • My 1 player MH game was heading pretty much in that direction. I learned that my player wasn't comfortable being the typical alienated teenage misfit unaccepted in the school that most MH characters are. She played it straight - shying away from dangling storyhooks because her character wanted to slide under the radar - trying to survive in what she saw as a hostile environment. I was puzzling how to get her involved in adventures if she wasn't going to bite on the hooks when I struck upon the idea of inverting the situation. Instead of being isolated, a series of events put her in the situation of being seen as 'a bit weird' but the right person to go to if you had a problem and so classmates started coming up to her needing help with their problems. As she liked mysteries / investigative stuff, if we'd had carried on I was thinking of plundering some Veronica Mars storylines to reskin for the game.
    That's was well played!

• edited December 2012
    I'm comfortable with using the monstrous bits without reifying the metaphor, but the folks I'd like to rope in with this are much more likely to be convinced without the supernatural overlay. It's worth a shot, anyway...
    Can you take a few minutes to just rename the Skins, and strip the few places where clearly supernatural language appears?

It wouldn't be that hard.

(Or maybe even make pregens for them, taking out the non-fitting moves, then you don't need to explain archetypes, just specific characters. "This is Jane. She worries that she's socially invisible.")