Comments

• Oh, I hate this article so much. Pure pseudoscience from start to finish, with an occasional reference to an interesting study taken out of context.
  • edited December 2012
    i liked how it told me i'm awesome for telling stories. :)
  • It's interesting to me! Would you mind explaining your issues with it, Graham?
  • Along those same lines, someone gave me a book called "Tell to Win," which offered up the amazing possibilities to persuade people with the hidden power of stories.

While the first example or two were interesting...it quickly became clear that the author was reaching for good examples of successful stories that help someone "win".

And while I certainly can understand the arguments that story-telling can engage the listener better, or can help with subtle persuasion or what not, but I pretty much gave up on the book when it gave some example of a basketball coach (Pat Riley, I think) who helped his team win the championship due to "story".

Why? Because this implies that the losing coach "told to lose" to his players...which I'm sure he didn't. I'm pretty convinced that you could go through every single important sporting event throughout history and both team will have a coach or a player "telling to win" at the start of the game....but one team is going to lose. Methinks that the author did a bit of cherry-picking.

And what about the teams that always lose, just because they don't have the talent? I guess their coach just sucks at telling stories. Additionally, did Pat just not tell interesting stories before each of the games his team lost during the season?

And that's my powerful persuasion story.