[No-Prep Play] Spirit of the Century

edited November 2006 in Story Games
This thread is a continuation of No Prep Games. I just wanted to talk about quickie SotC play, though, so I'm starting a new one.

I ran Spirit of the Century with no prep a few weeks ago. We used the ultra-fast "pick your Superb ability and one aspect" method and off we went. Everything else about the characters was created on the fly in play. I didn't have an adventure planned, so I put them on the maiden voyage of the super airship Prometheus -- which was of course attacked by air pirates (and their terrible flying "Faraday ring") as soon as it was over the Atlantic.

We played for about 2.5 hours. We managed to learn the system, flesh out interesting PCs, and have two fistsful of blazing pulp action -- a success in my book.

SotC bills itself as a "pick up" pulp action game, which can be hard to understand when you're eyeballing a 400+ page book. But in practice it totally delivers. The easy to grok skill pyramid, character and scene aspects, and simple NPC generation make this game very no-prep friendly.

Has anyone else used Spirit for no-prep play like this? How did it work for you?

Comments

• I can't say much that's not totally skewed, except to share an anecdote: my brother, who tested some of the early versions, had enough success with the on the fly play that I was threatened with bodily harm if it werenot included in the final version, so I think it worked out pretty well for him too.

-Rob D.
  • edited November 2006
    Posted By: John HarperI ran Spirit of the Century with no prep a few weeks ago. We used the ultra-fast "pick your Superb ability and one aspect" method and off we went. Everything else about the characters was created on the fly in play. I didn't have an adventure planned, so I put them on the maiden voyage of the super airshipPrometheus-- which was of course attacked by air pirates (and their terrible flying "Faraday ring") as soon as it was over the Atlantic.

We played for about 2.5 hours. We managed to learn the system, flesh out interesting PCs, and have two fistsful of blazing pulp action -- a success in my book.

SotC bills itself as a "pick up" pulp action game, which can be hard to understand when you're eyeballing a 400+ page book. But in practice it totally delivers. The easy to grok skill pyramid, character and scene aspects, and simple NPC generation make this game very no-prep friendly.
    Yes, yes, YES.

Shout it from the rooftops.

I'm glad to hear it delivered as designed. :>