South Bay Story Games Day V is a go! Sunday, 2 December 2012

I have confirmation from Game Kastle. We're set for Sunday, 2 December 2012 from 11am to 9pm. I'll set up a sign-up sheet via Google docs and post the link here when I get home tonight. We have five tables, but the organizer is asking if I want double tables or single tables. I can't recollect how large the tables are, so I told him we might as well go with the double tables. We can always rearrange things when we get there. @ccreitz, what was your set-up the last time you did this (if you recall)?

edit: I had it set to view-only, but it's fixed now. If you couldn't edit the sheet before, you should be able to now. Sorry!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    And the sign-up sheet is live! I've added it the the first post. Let's do this!
  • So Dungeon World in the afternoon slot has filled up--if there's more demand I'll drop out and run another afternoon session myself. I may also have a Mouse Guard 2-hour scenario done in time for this. If that's the case, I'll run it twice in the afternoon slot!

Also Dylan is running The Quiet Year in the morning slot. That's pretty exciting!
  • Woohoo!

I have nothing substantial to add at this time except for my enthusiasm.
  • edited November 2012
    That's more than enough!

We should probably spread the word to other shores. Is anyone an active member on another forum, community, etc? Shamelessly plug our event! :D
  • Is anyone thinking of facilitating Fiasco, Mouse Guard, or Hillfolk? I am unreasonably eager to play each of these, but it would be my first time in all cases.

Are the rules for Hillfolk even available yet?

• I could easily do Fiasco or Mouse Guard.

It seems a little weird to me to do strict sign-ups for a small gathering like this. I'd prefer to just bring a bunch of games and run or play what people feel like.
  • I'm thinking of facilitating Fiasco, if I can get a group to test with before :)
  • @jhkim Go for it. I played Mouse Guard with you and that's exactly how we organized it. :D
  • So turns out I can make it (though just for the AM slot)! I'll bring Mouse Guard if there's interest, Fiasco, Microscope, World of Dungeons? I'd be interested to play Mouse Guard, Quiet Year or Fiasco!
  • So turns out I can make it (though just for the AM slot)! I'll bring Mouse Guard if there's interest, Fiasco, Microscope, World of Dungeons? I'd be interested to play Mouse Guard, Quiet Year or Fiasco!
    I would definitely add Microscope to my list (above) of games I'd like to play. But don't Microscope games typically take.. a while?
  • I would definitely add Microscope to my list (above) of games I'd like to play. But don't Microscope games typically take.. a while?
    I'd plan for as many hours as there are players for everyone to have their round as Lens. At least, that's how it's worked out for me the handful of times I've played it. Someone else might have a different experience.

• yeah, probably wouldn't finish it...it's a game that you can cut short pretty easily though
  • the three times I have played (all fun) we never got to go round with everyone as lens but there was always some sort of time constraint...I think Dylan's estimate is about right.
  • Well I'm totally open to it if others are. It's a game I'm dying to play for a number of reasons. Even if we don't "finish" it sounds like it would be fun.

Clearly the problem here is that there isn't enough time in one day for everything. I'm hoping that out of this event come some new relationships and recurring meetups!
  • edited November 2012
    Oh, it will happen again!

When we first started a year or two ago, we were doing it about four times in a year. I'm hoping to get back into that rhythm-ish.
  • edited November 2012
    I added some space for people to request games. Want to play a particular game, but don't see it on the schedule? Convince someone else to do it for you, find some players, and have a good time!

Or just show up with it and beg. That also works!
  • I'm going to be there, in what capacity I have yet to figure out. But there I will be.
  • Rad Colin; glad to hear it.
  • I added some space for people to request games. Want to play a particular game, but don't see it on the schedule? Convince someone else to do it for you, find some players, and have a good time!
    FYI, I added a couple of requests to the spreadsheet -- Microscope and Hillfolk/DramaSystem.

Looking forward to meeting you folks!
  • I stepped out of Dungeon World to try and get another (few) game(s) of The Quiet Year in. Who's with me?!
  • Looks like we've got a GM for Hillfolk (thanks Bryant D)! Who wants to get their Iron Age on with us?
  • For those who are playing Fiasco (@lindsaynix, me, ?) should we agree on a playset in advance? In this thread...

http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/17606/fiasco-for-beginners#Item_16

...several folks suggest The Ice, but I haven't been able to find it online. This will be (I'm embarrassed to admit) my first time playing Fiasco, so I'm open to just about anything.
  • The Ice is in the original book, so that one's easy.
  • Oh. Indeed, there it is. DERP. (hangs head and hides in corner)

• I plan on bring The Ice and Boomtown. We can see what the group wants to do.
  • Great! FYI I've got 12 black dice to bring, but none of a different color. I'll also bring index cards...

• edited December 2012
    (dupe comment deleted, not sure what happened there.)
  • There's some family stuff going on that may preclude me from showing up until later on; please just go on without me. Just head on in and let the store know what your'e there for, and they'll show you to the space they've set aside for us.

Sorry guys. :-( It's been a really rough two weeks for my family, but hopefully things will go smoothly and I'll get there early enough in the afternoon to play some games!
  • I will bring enough dice of both colors to support a dozen players, so don't worry about that, guys. I also roll with hella playsets, so don't worry about that either.

Looking forward to Sunday!
  • Sorry to hear that Joey, hope you're doing OK.
  • Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make the second half of the day. I've been sick for the past three weeks or so (not contagious), and I'm feeling good enough to run The Quiet Year, but not the full 5.5 hours of Dungeon World.

Sorry for the late notice, but I was kind of hoping I'd feel better enough by the time Sunday came. If someone else wants to run Dungeon World, please feel free.
  • Hopefully illness doesn't become a trend here, but I seem to have some kind of stomach bug, so unless it clears up in a big hurry I won't be able to make it at all.
  • Drive careful out there. It's pretty wet and windy.
  • Just want to say that I had a blast today! Thanks for everyone who came out and played, and many thanks to Joey for organizing. Let's do this again soon...

• Definitely. I played Fiasco in the first slot (with the Boom Town playset) and Hill People in the second slot. Both were a lot of fun, and thanks to everyone who played.
  • Just want to say that I had a blast today! Thanks for everyone who came out and played, and many thanks to Joey for organizing. Let's do this again soon...
    Glad to do it!

Sorry I missed my own show; a family member was put into hospice on Saturday night and the ensuing hours were a real shitshow. Things are going better now. Super happy to hear everyone had a good time, at least.

I'll organize another one of this after the holidays and we can party together then. :-)
  • I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Sending supportive thoughts to you and your family...

• I hope that things go as well as they can for your family, Joey.

Thanks for setting up the event - it was great, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all looking forward to playing with you in the next installment. Also, I wanted to thank everyone who came out, thank Dylan for including me in "The Quiet Year", and say how grateful I was for the consensus that emerged in the second slot, allowing us to all play "Hillfolk" together. It was touching.
  • My sympathies to Joey as well. :(

jhkim: if I'd realized you were /that/ John I'd have thanked you for your RPG information site -- it's always been very useful to me.

I had lots of fun playing Fiasco and running Hillfolk -- I appreciate everyone's patience as we learned the rules and flow of Hillfolk together. It gave me a lot to chew on in terms of how the Hillfolk mechanics support the idea of dramatic poles and flow between them, but I like a game that gives me lots to chew on.

And awesome meeting new people!
  • Joey, sorry to hear it; I'm glad things are getting better, and I hope they continue to move that way.

Absolutely, a great time! Sorry again that we had to split early. Hopefully next time I'll be feeling good enough to see the thing through to the end.

If there's anything I can do to help organize the next one, please let me know.

• Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate your support. :-)

I'll be looking into having another one after the holidays; maybe in February or even January. I'll definitely keep you all informed. If someone else wants to organize something, please have at! I'll help however I can.
  • If someone else wants to organize something, please have at! I'll help however I can.
    You have my axe.