Houses of the Blooded - Four Years Later

edited October 2012 in Story Games
There’s a new kickstarter for the Wilderness expansion to Houses of the Blooded launched yesterday (here) and it made me think about this game again for the first time in a while.

I’ve only played it once, and I’ve never run the game myself. My experience with the game was mixed, I had quite a bit of fun with the game when I played it, but my group and I found using the book as a reference very difficult. We spent arguably as much time trying to find the rules for how to do something as we did actually doing it because they were often in unusual locations within the text.

It’s been four years since this game was released. Story game forums, what kind of experiences have you had with this game? Has anyone played a long game of it? Has anyone had their character go up an age bracket?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I’ve only played it once, and I’ve never run the game myself. My experience with the game was mixed, I had quite a bit of fun with the game when I played it, but my group and I found using the book as a reference very difficult. We spent arguably as much time trying to find the rules for how to do something as we did actually doing it because they were often in unusual locations within the text.
    That was exactly my experience too.

My group played it for about a year, and we had a lot of fun, but the overall consensus was that the game was actively working against us most of the time. I still think the basic "dueling wagers for narrative control" mechanic is completely fantastic, but just about everything else in that book flat-out does not work the way it says it does and eventually it just became too frustrating to work with, work around, and house-rule. We remember our campaign very fondly, but none of us are in a rush to actually play again.
  • I've played it several times as one-shots, so we haven't experienced things like the season mechanics, etc. Seemed to work okay, though the book was a bit of a mess.

In my view the ven are more interesting once some peasant invents the guillotine. And Blood and Honor is a better game all around.