Panel discussions at Metatopia 2012

edited October 2012 in Story Games
Hey guys! I'm working on the panel and seminar tracks of Metatopia 2012 this week. I'd love to hear some suggestions for panel topics you'd like to see (or participate in if you're coming!) Please note that the "editorial viewpoint" of the show is aimed at designers and publishers about the new games they're producing. Thanks in advance! dw

Comments

• I would love a variety of seminars/panels dealing with:
    1) Introduction to Art Direction
    2) How to learn basic art and design skills
    3) Open Source Publishing Tools; Strengths and Weaknesses (I have some experience)
    4) Effective Game Text Organization
    5) Elegant and clean layouts
    6) International Partnerships and Translations
  • edited October 2012
    I'm excited to help with panels!

Areas I have expertise:

- Building Communities;
    - General Playtesting;
    - Usability Testing;
    - Blind Playtesting;
    - Finding Playtesters;
    - Talking to customers, critics, and enemies;
    - Building a team;
    - Why should people care about your game;
    - Playstorming;
    - Running small conventions;
    - Conflict resolution;
    - Hiring / Firing people;
    - Negotiating contracts;
    - Non-evil Marketing;
    - Watching what people do, not what they say;
    - How to make great game aids;
    - Text is more important than rules - playtest your text;
    - Art directing, working with creatives.

I would like to see:

- Crowd Funding;
    - Applying for Grants;
    - Taxes;
    - Playtesting through G+ Hangouts;
    - International Gaming;
    - How to be cool like Jason Morningstar;
    - How to troll trolls;
    - Social Media;
    - Someone stole my idea;
    - Someone is pirating my game;
    - Diversifying your audience;
    - Am I not Indie enough;
    - How to get to Gen Con when you're poor;
    - How to make your game not racist / sexist;
    - How to be the next D&D;
    - What ideas to steal from other games;
    - Should Game Design be about fun;
    - Is Game Design ethical;
    - Is Game Design mind control;
    - Jessica Hammer talk about anything;
    - Is my game really an RPG;
    - How to get my games to other countries;
    - Where are Luke & Jared.

• >>What ideas to steal from other games

Ken Hite (and a couple of others I've sadly forgotten at the moment) did this very seminar last year to general acclaim, and will probably do so again this year.

>> How to be cool like Jason Morningstar;

Hopefully the topic of his Guest Of Honor presentation.

dw

• As I said elsewhere:
    "I suggest a live-fire demo of a game as a panel. That is, have a couple of people (possibly designers) play a game in front of a crowd. I'm thinking something like the penny Arcade D&D sessions, so maybe the crowd is involved to a degree."

It occurs to me that this might turn into harsh deconstruction if it was a playtest of someone's game, so probably best to play with an established game, a new hack, and a thick-skinned designer.
  • A roundtable of designers sharing the things they wish someone had told them the first year they decided to be game designers.
  • A session in which pre-registered game designers experiencing designer's block can have a panelist offer one or two helpful points.

Video- or audio-record all the panels!
  • edited October 2012
    What I suggested to Darren:

I'd love to do a panel with a prominent larpwright (or two and two) exploring similarities and differences in larp and tabletop design and play.

A panel on how to address controversial topics and difficult issues in games and at the table. Call it "Sex and genocide"

A panel of production and fulfillment (preparing files, dealing with printers, shipping, using distributors, flooring arrangements, etc)

How about a "how do you know it works?" panel about iterative playtesting,usability, questioning bias and assumptions and killing your darlings?

A fun panel would be "my white whale" about unfinished games that are millstones around panelists necks, and why. Or "My biggest failure" about games that crashed and burned before or after publication.
  • How to write/organize a rulebook
    How to get your game translated (also - making a game that doesn't need translation outside the rulebook!)
  • A panel on how to address controversial topics and difficult issues in games and at the table. Call it "Sex and genocide"

How about a "how do you know it works?" panel about iterative playtesting,usability, questioning bias and assumptions and killing your darlings?
    I would help with these / or at least attend.
  • If there's a playtesting and usability panel and you aren't on it, John, I am flipping a table and putting you on it!
  • Oh hey, as a guest of honor I get an hour lecture session about whatever I want. What should we talk about?
  • Problems you've discovered with your games only months or years after publishing them.
  • P.S. And how you deal with that. Just listing them sounds like an effort in self-flaggelation.
  • P.S.S. Not that indie gamers don't love a little self-flaggelation. It's so emo!
  • Ugh, shoot me, because the 'production and fulfillment' panel leapt out at me as the really interesting one.