[Sagas of the Icelanders] Crowdfunding campaign is a-go

edited October 2012 in Directed Promotion
I just started the crowdfunding campaign for Sagas of the Icelanders on IndieGoGo about a week later than I anticipated.

If you don't know Sagas, it's a deep* Apocalypse World hack about the lives of medieval Icelandic settlers during the saga period. You could say it's all about the culture, religion(s), survival and gender and the roles people assume within those paradigms. The moves are much more about behavior under societal restrictions than action, and the conflicts that breeds.

Some people here have already played playtest versions and the feedback was uniformly positive, even if people were looking for more guidance and some parts of the system were scattered and unclear. I'm mostly working on those things now, polishing and straightening the rough bits in the text and providing more advice and setting info and so on, but otherwise the game is done.

I will be adding more gifts and stretch goals as things develop. Comments and questions welcome.

*(in the style of Dungeon World or Monsterhearts, not just a reskin)

Comments

• Interesting setting. How accessible would you say it is for those of us who are curious about that time period but don't sit down to the table with a lot of advance medieval-Icelandic knowledge?
  • I've run this for people who know nothing of the period with great success. The playbooks are incredibly evocative of the time and place, and the moves guide you into acting like a viking ought to act.
  • I am deeply in love with this game.
  • Already backed this game; it sounds very useful as a teaching tool.

Jason
  • A no-brainer. This hack is so smart: really gets how AW works and what you can do with it.
  • Cool, I'll take a look!
  • Funded it. Can't wait too see which rune is randomly drawn for me! :D
  • Funded. Looking forward to it.
  • Just to confirm, even if I can only back digital now, will the physical book be for sale afterward?
  • SO EXCITED! Backed.
  • Gregor, as I said on the IGG comments section: since I first played AW, I knew it had to be done with norsemen. Thanks for making a great version of that game so I don't have to make a feeble one!
  • Awesome. Backed (of course)! Scandinavian clubs I'm a part of have all been appraised of this wonderful game! Hopefully this helps get it funded :)
  • Backed!
  • edited October 2012
    Well, how could I not? Backing!

edit: If anyone is a fan of the Viking Age, I highly suggest reading The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. To make a rough, possibly inaccurate analogy: it's the Lord of the Rings of Swedish literature. Oh yeah, also: it's fantastic and I love it.
  • edited October 2012
    I also recommend Erik Brighteyes by H Rider Haggard (the link goes to Project Gutenberg). It starts as a tight little story about status conflicts between Viking families and escalates from there.
  • edited October 2012
    Just to confirm, even if I can only back digital now, will the physical book be for sale afterward?
    I will certainly print out a small number of extra copies and I'll figure out a way for you to grab one quickly, but once I run out of those things get a lot sketchier. So yes, it physical copies will be available outside the campaign but not indefinitely.

Aaand, it was funded yesterday! Thanks everyone, this happened much much faster than I anticipated. Let's see how the stretch goals will go. Now I wish I had a higher level pledge that wasn't limited like the futhark.
  • edited October 2012
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll just make sure and try to pull together a spare 20 to definitely get one!

EDIT: Congrats on getting funded at lightning speed, by the way.
  • Congrats on the funding Teataine, I'm looking forward to this one.

P.S. Can't you just add a new (identical) pledge level to your campaign?
  • Yeah, I saw 10th century historical vikings, my vision blacked out and when I woke up I was holding my credit card and a receipt from IndieGoGo about having funded.
  • I had the pleasure of MCing 2 sessions of SOTI. The moves are fantastic. Easily the most innovative I've seen since Apocalypse World (hackers take heed!). Men and Women each have their own basic moves, which really grounds the feeling of gender roles in Viking culture.

The Icelandic Sagas are often about generations of conflict and SOTI supports this 100%. You'll have children. Your children have children, and your relationship problems will echo on through the generations.
    I am so excited to play more of this game.
  • My father insists that our last name and red facial hair is a sign that we are descended from Jewish vikings. I had to grab it.
  • Oh dear,, I watched the video it was all smoke and mirrors or was he just waving two books around? anyway my vision has cleared, I've back YGGDRASIL
  • Oh dear,, I watched the video it was all smoke and mirrors or was he just waving two books around?
    I'm not even sure what you mean there... :) But yes, I was waving two books around, one was Apocalypse World and the other was a copy of the translations of the icelandic family sagas. My game is a mashup of the two.

I've just put up a number of new stretch goals on the front page, you should go check them out, even if you've pledged already. I think they're really cool!
  • Those stretch goals are hot!!!
  • Time to lawyer up, fools! An Icelandic saga without a court case is like an Úlfhéðinn without a filthy animal skin on his head. I'm really happy to be a part of this game!
  • People, we need to get this thing to $5000. Maps?! Essays on gender roles?! ICELANDIC LAW?! *nerdsplosion*
  • Oh dear,, I watched the video it was all smoke and mirrors or was he just waving two books around?
    It is a old saying about magicians using deception! :-) link
    I,m sure you will use no such trickery.
    Fantastic idea and I look forward to playing in the Norse times in a more cultural social theme where survival depends on behavior not just actions of Violence.
    Best Paul

• Awesome. Really excited that you're going to print with this one!
  • Gender, courts, and Grendel ain't shit. Hello: better paper fuck yeah!
  • edited November 2012
    $7,940

38 hours left

At $8,000
    The illustrations in the book will be printed in colour

Come on

YGGDRASIL
    Dead tree level. A thank-you note in the book, pdf of the game plus a softcover copy of the game (please add 10$ for shipping outside the EU).

Only need three of these!

Sagas of the Icelanders Roleplaying Game
  • Backed. Looking forward to this.
  • COLOR ILLOS! YESSSSSSSSS
  • Color illustrations achievement.... unlocked. :)
  • edited November 2012
    I suggest this for the next stretch goal.

(warning: plays music)

• I noted that getting the book with shipping cost included (in the EU) is just $20 (and just $10 extra for outside EU). How did you manage to get a shipping cost that cheap?
  • edited November 2012
    1. The Slovenian post office allows for "soft" packages under 2kg to be sent as "letters" which is significantly cheaper than sending a "hard" package (2 to 4 times cheaper, depending on the details).
    2. I'm publishing at a rather low margin of profit. Making the game accessible (and within range for impulse-purchases) was a priority, so the $10 for shipping overseas is more symbolic than representative of the actual cost of shipping (the same reason why the pdf is just $5).
  • 2. I'm publishing at a rather low margin of profit. Making the game accessible (and within range for impulse-purchases) was a priority, so the $10 for shipping overseas is more symbolic than representative of the actual cost of shipping (the same reason why the pdf is just $5).
    Yeah, I recognize that, but I also want to get enough money so I can sell the game to stores as well. :)
    1. The Slovenian post office allows for "soft" packages under 2kg to be sent as "letters" which is significantly cheaper than sending a "hard" package (2 to 4 times cheaper, depending on the details).
    I should move to Slovenia then. :D In Sweden, it cost $80 just to send a package under 2 kg to The States. It's ridiculous.

I also want to give my congratulations for the success of the crowd funding project, reaching four times what you intended. That's impressive.
  • Off topic, but If the object is vaguely book shaped you can send it as brev/letter for half of that. And if it weighs under 0.5 kg it's 90kr ~ $12.

Still not Slovenian levels but much less than your quoted $80.