[Mom's Basement Podcast] Episode 57: Motivation, bro

edited October 2012 in Story Games

In this recording, we address Will's month long hiatus and how to motivate yourself into getting work done.

Quote from the show: Game design is a lot like the 5 stages of grief

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/2012/10/episode-57-motivation-bro.html

Comments

• edited October 2012
    This was a pretty interesting podcast and I think it probably aplies to a lot of StoryGames readers -- being Joe Nobody, working in a vacuum and getting stuff done. Since I was featured in this podcast, let me answer the questions presented in the podcast as they relate to me and my game

What helped me immeasurably in actually putting something out there was other people coming on board. Michael Wight/ (StupidGremlin) did some very inspiring artwork and four others wanted to contribute with scenarios - Wightbred's Goblin World, Daniel Hoffman's Bogeymen, Allan Farr's Singularity and Taleweaver's Nights of the Crusades.

Having these guys contribute made all the difference. So get together with like-minded folks and collaborate! Even if you cant get playtests, or feedback, or whatever, at least you are being ignored together :)

On a related note, I think you guys should offer a compendium of your MT games.
  • Thanks Steve!

This is happening. Our plan is to release one year's worth of alpha drafts, and then do a kickstarter for a collection of a dozen games.

I don't know when we'll have more to say about this. I've never done a kickstarter before, and there is a lot of research to be done.

• edited October 2012
    Oh, and of course a big thanks to MomsBasement Podcast guys who took the time to play the game (twice) and whose feedback inpsired me to continue on! THANKS!

Heres a good video on motivation for getting started & finishing.

Frank's invocation for beginnings << this is good
  • Thanks Steve!

This is happening. Our plan is to release one year's worth of alpha drafts, and then do a kickstarter for a collection of a dozen games.

I don't know when we'll have more to say about this. I've never done a kickstarter before, and there is a lot of research to be done.

I think a Kickstart would be great to get cash to get the presentation right. Attractive and inspiring artwork and nice websites and all that makes a huge difference, I think. If I went back in time, thats what I would do.

• Attractive and inspiring artwork
    I would like to get the artist who did our banner design to illustrate the book. I was really impressed with how close the banner was to what Rudy and I were hoping for. I guess we'll see.