What is this game?
This is a forum game open to everyone and anyone! You are a member of the Silverwolf Outriders. Your clan's ancestral sword has been stolen and taken somewhere into the vast and untamed borderlands. It must be found at all costs! You and dozens of your clansman set out on a mission to locate it and return it home. You begin your journey departing from The Den, your ancestral home, in the land known as the Northfell Highlands. Will you find what you're looking for? Or will you all perish braving the dangers of the wild?
This game is based off Explorers! (The RPG) by Stephen Bretall as posted on the Story-Games forums for the 5 Minute Game Challenge
. The original map was created by Jason Lutes.Show Me The MapShow Me The StyleJoining the Game
- The first person to post should create their Outrider and then roll to TRAVEL. You start in Location #1
- The next participants to join should just create their Outrider and take their place in turn order. Do not roll anything. We will take turns based off of posting order.
- Each turn, someone rolls to TRAVEL and we consult the chart. The players deal with the events and then the next person rolls to TRAVEL.
- If your Outrider dies, you may leave the game or create a new Outrider and fall into the last position in turn order.
- If it's your turn and you don't take it within ~24 hours, your turn will be skipped and the next person in line will go.Creating Your Outrider
- Give yourself a name
- In one or two sentences, tell us who you are
- In one or two sentences, tell us what you look like
- Assign a +3, +2, and +1 to Combat, Exploration, and Diplomacy
Example Outrider:Brom Splintertooth
The chieftain's nephew and a metal worker. Brave, stoic, and determined to return the ancestral sword.
Tall and lean, with short-cropped brown hair, a beard, and dark green eyes. Wears the ancestral symbol across his chest, carrying a shield and heavy shortblade.
Diplomacy +1The Rules
When you TRAVEL, tell us where your clan is riding to. You can go to any numbered location on the map adjacent to the one you're currently in, including places you've already visited as the results may be different. Name the new location if it doesn't already have one and roll a d6:
1: You encounter a threat and something goes terribly wrong! GM determines what and you roll to determine your fate prior to the clan arriving at the destination.
2-3: You run into something unexpected! GM determines what and challenges the Outriders prior to the clan arriving at the destination.
4-5: Travel goes fine. The destination is reached without much fuss.
6: Travel is faster than expected, or maybe you run into some nice people or find some cool stuff. The destination is reached without trouble and the clan is rewarded.
When you reach a destination, roll a d6:
1: The location is hostile, and those here don't want you to find what you're looking for, or maybe they want it for themselves! The GM challenges the Outriders.
2-3: The location is quirky, with interesting inhabitants and an odd structure. You won't find what you're looking for here, but you'll find something else. GM will offer choices.
4-5: The location is roughly what you expected. What you're looking for isn't here, but there may be clues that might lead you to your goal. GM may reward the Outriders.
6: This is the place! What you're looking for is actually here! The sword is always guarded, and if you fail to get it (for the guards are always challenging and call for sacrifice...) then it moves to a new place, most likely pretty far away.
When the GM challenges you, roll 1d6 and add which ever skill makes the most sense for the situation (Combat, Exploration, or Diplomacy).
- You must roll a total of 6 or higher to succeed. If you succeed, the Outriders will be rewarded. If you fail, the Outriders will be penalized.
- If you roll a natural 1 on the d6, something goes terribly wrong! Sorry, as the person rolling you may get wounded or even die.
- The GM will roll 1d6 to determine the challenge type: 1-2 is Combat, 3-4 is Exploration, 5-6 is Diplomacy.
- When a reward or penalty is owed to the Outriders, the GM rolls 1d6 to determine which challenge type they get a +1 or -1 to their next roll on: 1-2 is Combat, 3-4 is Exploration, 5-6 is Diplomacy.
- If you are challenged by who or whatever is guarding the Ancestral Sword, the clan will have to deal with all three challenge types - Combat, Exploration, and Diplomacy!
When something goes terribly wrong, GM determines what and you roll a d6:
1-2: You immediately die a painful death. Better luck next time. Drop out or create a new Outrider.
3-4: Somehow you manage to survive but you receive a grievous wound during the turmoil. Subtract 1 from a skill permanently. If you've already received a grievous wound in the past, the pain is too much and you die shortly after. Drop out or create a new Outrider.
5-6: The fortunes smile upon you. You emerge unscathed and live another day. You lucky bastard.