[Fiasco Peoples] Help Me Test A Probably-Very-Stupid Idea.

edited October 2012 in Make Stuff!
Broken Places madlibs, Fiasco style!

1. Grab a Playset.
2. Roll 20 dice.
3. Fill in the blanks of the linked sheet, Fiasco-style.
4. Tell me what you get - or, just let me know: Does it make sense?

The Linked Sheet.

Comments

• I don't get it!
  • edited October 2012
    I will attempt to explain the non-obvious nature of it:

Imagine that you are about to sit down with your group for a one-shot game with some system or other- let's assume something light, traditional.

To get a situation, you go round and round the table, just as in the setup for Fiasco, but assume that the PCs are a general, standard-ish "party" kind of thing. Just because that's the idea; it may or may not be a good one, we'll see.

You pick Boomtown, from the Fiasco book.

Now, you imagine you're playing with me and Bob, and let's say that we have a GM, as well, because I said "traditional". Laura can be the GM. Okay, so, we roll 20 dice (well, you do, because we're just kind of throwing this idea at the wall, spaghetti-style).

You write "In the Boomtown" in that top blank, because Boomtown is what the playset is called.

Now, you need a person for that first blank. You pick yourself. So, a villain has a hold over the boomtown, and the villain is tied to you.

Dice! You rolled a bunch of dice. You pick 4, 5 - Mail order bride and her groom! So, the villian is your mail order bride. Or you're their mail order bride. Whichever. In your head, to make this good, would we be going around the table using dice? I think so, but I'm not sure - you tell me.

We go like that until we get to the end. Now, I don't know who decides what players go in what blanks. I don't know if the GM gets a turn to place stuff. I don't know these things because my idea, so far is only this:

"Hey, you could fill out situation-sheets, like the ones I've been making for traditional games - with Fiasco-style dice stuff. Like madlibs. I'm gonna make a sheet like that, and see what people think when I wave it at them".

• Ah, I see!

I didn't get it because I failed my reading comprehension. (More specifically, when you wrote "Grab a Playset", I thought you meant, "grab this thing I created", whereas you actually meant "grab a Fiasco playset, and use it with this thing I created.")

That seems like it would make an entertaining mash-up! I'd love to play a D&D game where my mail-order bride is the villain. (Although it has some strange and uncomfortable implications if I think about it for too long.)

Cool.
  • Yeah, I feel like there's something really good, here. I'm not sure that this particular sheet is, like, a peak version of that good thing.

Still, people have made all these really great setting things for Fiasco, and a few more-refined grab-and-go things like this could let that work out in other directions to roam free and devour... Er. You know. Things.
  • I've used Fiasco in this manner for traditional, longer running campaign games between sessions to give some teeth to a situation, but I've never done the dice with the players.

It does sound like it could really add some fuel if the players were in to it.
  • This all happened in Alpha Complex.

A villain got hold of the place! (hahah)
    This Villain was connected to Levi's Character by means of a Rival Free Enterprise Secret Society and the villain was driven by the need for revenge on the PLC vendor who stuck him with badwrong equipment. The villain holds court at an indoor artillery range and has a strong fondness for his or her Vulture Fighterflybot with live weapon load, but is annoyed when anyone brings up MemGo Spotless Mind memory eraser... for some reason.

The villain also has underlings!
    One is connected to Aaron's Character by means of that time the food fat exploded, and they had to cover it up. The driving motive there is to find happiness through secretly sowing chaos.

There are people who resist! (Not Friend Computer, of course, but the villain)
    One is connected to Harlequin's Character by means of having exposed them, maybe, to Communist propaganda. Briefly. The Driving motive there is to find out the truth about the Rival Free Enterprise Secret Society's secret plans. The resistance meets at the new set for the Teela O'Malley Show.

Well, it's a little disjointed, but seems to work for me :D