[Fiasco] Check me on a PDF thing.

edited September 2012 in Story Games
So, linked here:

An attempt at a fill-and-save PDF form.... That gives a Fiasco playset, if you fill it out.

I'm not sure how this will look on your computer, with fonts, etc. On mine, it looks almost right - the lines for specific relationships aren't spaced quite smoothly, though.

Link

So, things:

1) Does it work on your machine? How does it look, etc?

2) Useful? Ridiculous?

Comments

  • That is amazing, Levi. You are a star.

    It works fine on Google Chrome and Adobe Acrobat (Windows 7).
  • Sweet! Thanks.
  • I tried it on Linux, with the Evince reader, and in Chrome's embedded reader. It works pretty well I'd say (in that I can edit the fields), but with no embedded fonts it gets a default sans-serif font with *extremely* erratic kerning (the spacing between characters can go from negative to double an average character).

    Also, but this could be because it's still a work in progress, all the die faces are black with white pips (they are white with black pips in the normal playsets).

    This could be further made better adding a space for "the score" and so on, but that's probably out of its scope...

  • Win7, current Chrome, Acrobat 9 Pro installed (so you know which level of Chrome plugin I'm using). I also checked it out in AcroPro 9 itself, to take Chrome+plugin out of the equation.

    * I'd add a page (2) with headers and text blocks for the preamble.
    * The 1, 4, and second 1 fields have + buttons, which turn into spinners when you click them. No other fields show this. I think you mis-designated them as combo boxes, not text lines. (I tried editing them in AcroPro, and I can't see what the deal is. I'd just re-create them.)
    * I'd go ahead and put Needs, Objects, and Locations into the main headings for pages 3-5, as default. VERY few playsets deviate from those four element categories.
    * In general, put something in for default text into every field, even if just "Element 1-1", "Element 3-4", etc.
    * Make all the element fields two lines, so they don't "scroll" when over two lines (which makes them effectively unprintable). Turn off scroll on all of them. Yes, this will mean some font size massaging and possibly loss of whitespace padding.
    * An InstaSetup page is usually very formal in format, too--could go ahead and add a page for it at the end.
    (* I didn't check, as it's kind of time-consuming; but are the fonts 100% embedded, and do they include accented characters, for foreign languages? Ideally, do they go so far as to include Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, etc characters that are in "complete" Unicode fonts like Arial? I doubt it, as the file is 314KB, and a font like Arial is 780KB. Might want to check Distiller settings, or maybe even use a different font than the "standard" one in the BPG playsets.)

    All-in-all, though, a good effort!
  • edited September 2012
    If fonts (Hitchcock in particular) are embedded, they didn't work for me. Let me doublecheck.

    --edit--

    Nope, Hitchcock is not embedded.
  • * I'd add a page (2) with headers and text blocks for the preamble.
    Form-fillable text blocks for that stuff tend to be.... Really bad. I've been playing with it, but it's more likely I'll just add a bit more typeable space on the cover page.
    * The 1, 4, and second 1 fields have + buttons, which turn into spinners when you click them. No other fields show this. I think you mis-designated them as combo boxes, not text lines. (I tried editing them in AcroPro, and I can't see what the deal is. I'd just re-create them.)
    The boxes aren't as tall as the text. By, like, a couple pixels.

    ...And, yeah, I'll be putting "A Generic Place" into all the fields, when I've got it fully sorted out, have fonts embedding, etc. Though I'm probably going to lock it so you simply can't add more text to a frame than it can hold, rather than adding lines.
  • Not that most people would use an iPad to use such a cool document, but that's what I'm on now, so I tried it (and it does not work... just a blank first page and the other pages only have black dice).
  • edited September 2012
    So, here's take 2.

    I think fonts are embedded, fields are right-sized and set to stop overflow, there's an extra little box for notes, and really boring placeholders are in.

    Working for you?

    (I think iPad users are gonna be out of luck, though).
  • It works very well (chrome)! Thank you!
  • edited September 2012
    Tried it again on Evince, Linux, works like a charm. Thanks Levi!
    (will test it on Android too, soon, and report back: I don't expect any problem though)

    --edit--

    Update: checked on Android, tablet with ICS 4.0.3, on two pdf readers.

    ezPdf: editing works perfectly, it even saves the edited document without any hitch. I'm always amazed at how well that works with this app. Font rendering does not work for some reason, though. Minor annoyance though: the substitute font has sane kerning and so it's usable.

    Repligo PDF reader: fonts render ok (apart for the first page) but editing didn't work. Oh well, I only have this app because I bought it during a 0.10USD sale, I never use it.
Sign In or Register to comment.