Joe's Tattoo: Custom Moves

edited July 2012 in Make Stuff!

So, @Mcdaldno tweeted thusly earlier: "Getting a tattoo within the hour." In honor of the occasion, I present an attempt at a custom Monsterhearts move. I'm sure you can do better, why don't you?

When you show someone your new tattoo, roll with Hot. On a 10+, they're impressed with how badass/cool/cute it is - gain a string on them and add 2 to your next roll to turn them on. On a 7-9, choose one.

Comments

• Jesus Joe you can't get a tattoo without it becoming a whole thing on Story-Games?! I despair of ever passing you in popularity. :/
  • edited July 2012
    I played an Infernal once and in the first scene I had Asmodeus as my brand new tattoo. On my stomach.
  • edited July 2012
    When you get a tattoo, roll with Cold.
    On a 10+, your badass look intimidates others, gain an additional string on the next person you Shut Down
    On a 7-9, as 10+ but gain the Condition tattooed with the Chinese character for 'soup'
    I played an Infernal once and in the first scene I had Asmodeus as my brand new tattoo. On my stomach.
    When you get a tattoo of a demon, roll with Dark.
    On a 10+, you channel the power of the demon, gain a one-off use of an Infernal Bargain
    On a 7-9, the channel works both ways, as 10+ but give the demon 2 strings on you
    Hard move, the channel works one way, and it's not your lucky day, gain the Ghoul move The Hunger for tattooing others with the mark of the demon, buy some sombre-coloured robes and prepare to be off'ed by the next band of Call of Cthulhu investigators who cross your path
  • edited July 2012

So, @Mcdaldno tweeted thusly earlier: "Getting a tattoo within the hour." In honor of the occasion...

I'm (choose two: delighted / weirded out / smirking) that you feel like this is an occasion worth honouring via Story Games threads. What fun!
    When you get a tattoo of a demon, roll with Dark.
    On a 10+, you channel the power of the demon, gain a one-off use of an Infernal Bargain
    On a 7-9, the channel works both ways, as 10+ but give the demon 2 strings on you
    Hard move, the channel works one way, and it's not your lucky day, gain the Ghoul move The Hunger for tattooing others with the mark of the demon
    This is super tight. I feel like the risk/reward on this might need tweaking, but as a custom move to introduce (attached to your spooky Monsterhearts tattoo parlour), it's pretty bad-ass.

Oh, also:
    imageimage

(my camera sucks. they look way doper in person.)
  • Looks pretty sweet! That wrist area is actually where I'd been thinking of getting a tattoo but I'm curious how the wrist feels pain-wise for getting one. Just a matter of curiosity.

Also that demon tattoo move is awesome. Scary-as-hell failure, but very cool.
  • horn head! I was advised that pain from tattoos is very temporary, & to get them where you think they look cool. I'm glad i took the advice & didn't change the position based on pain avoidance.
  • Looks pretty sweet! That wrist area is actually where I'd been thinking of getting a tattoo but I'm curious how the wrist feels pain-wise for getting one. Just a matter of curiosity.
    I thought that the wrists would be really painful. Turns out that it was manageable. The middle letters stung pretty bad, because they were in the most tender spot. But even then, it's "stung pretty bad," not "unbearable pain that you should avoid."
  • Is there a story behind the tattoo(s)?
  • Not exactly.

Ghosts are my spirit animal. Ghosts are amazingly good at feeling both sorrow and compassion. I feel an affinity with the plight of ghosts.

I like feeling little. There's some complicated stuff about age and gender wrapped up in that word, for me. I want to become both little and powerful.

So, that's what those words are about for me. Plus I like how the phrase looks and sounds.
  • Ah, here I assumed there was a connection to the Whites Stripes song.
  • None. Also no connection to the 1997 kids movie. Or the image category on iStockPhoto.
  • edited July 2012
    (I mock because I care)

Also, any custom move about getting a tattoo has to include the potential fallout of immediately desiring more tattoos.
  • Inkblot: When someone gazes at your tattoos, role +dark. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:

- They tell you which one they like best. Give them a suitable condition.
    - They tell you all about their tattoo, real or desired. Gain a string on them.
    - They wonder about the tattoos they're not seeing. Take +1 ongoing to turn them on until their curiosity is satisfied.
  • edited July 2012
    When you get a tattoo, roll+existing tattoos. On a 12+, it's no thing and you can tweet at the same time. On a 10+, you turn on anyone who's watching. On a 7-9, choose 2:
    -You don't take the 'half finished tattoo' condition
    -No one watching takes strings on you
    -Your parents don't find out, don't take the 'grounded for life' condition
  • Also that demon tattoo move is awesome. Scary-as-hell failure, but very cool.
    That was my second draft of the hard move. The first was:
    Hard move: you thought you would wear the tattoo, but the tattoo is wearing you. Give your character to the MC until your friends (you've still got friends, right?) can remove your ink.
  • edited July 2012
    Inkblot: When someone gazes at your tattoos, role +dark. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:

- They tell you which one they like best. Give them a suitable condition.
    - They tell you all about their tattoo, real or desired. Gain a string on them.
    - They wonder about the tattoos they're not seeing. Take +1 ongoing to turn them on until their curiosity is satisfied.
    I swear I've been the target of people who got to choose all three! Cheaters!

Edit to add: When you get a tattoo of somebody's name on yourself, you each gain two strings on eachother, and if the tattoo is somewhere immediately visible, you each gain the condition "Inkbound" until the tattoo is removed or you prove to all and sundry that you are no such thing.