[Lady Blackbird] I think we lost Snargle

edited June 2012 in Story Games
Hi,

I'm looking towards playing my first time Lady Blackbird - woohoo. So I did some reading and looking and thinking ...

First I'm a bit concerned about the key of banter. I think my players could get annoying with that. I know them. And you cannot force them to buy off, can you?

But more concerned I'm about Snargle being alone. All pregens are bound together by various threads (I visualized that here my LB relations on tumblr) but Snargle is not. He is the only character that has no connection. All his keys are inbound.

So I think I would like to get rid of the key of banter and integrate Snargle better instead. But I havent found a cool/interesting/good way to do so.

What do you think of this? What would you do? What ideas would you have to get Snargle back into the crowd.

Comments

• S: "Naomi, I am your father."
    N: "No. Nooo! That's impossible!"
    S: "Search your pockets..."
    Naomi pulls out a locket with a picture of her dead parents.
    Snargle starts to shape shift into a familiar figure...

I'll go hide now. :-)
    --
    TAZ
  • Don't kill Key of Banter, dude. It's Snargle's thing. Reward for technobabble instead of bad table jokes.

As for tying to the other characters, use Naomi's vengeance as a weapon against Snargle's conscience. I've done it with three different groups, it always turns out interesting (but never the same).
  • Snargle is likely to be just fine in play. Kale is more likely to fade into the background, if anyone does.
  • "Snargle, why do you owe the Captain your life/freedom?"
    "Snargle, why are you different from all the other goblins?"
    "Kale, how did Snargle get you out of a jam recently?"
    "Cyrus, what's the thing Snargle can do on the Owl that no one else can?"

Ask a few good questions, and you'll get pretty quick buy-in and total involvement with the rest of the crew.
  • Yeah, its probably a good thing to run it "out of the box". Should trust it. Directing it to Technobabble might be a good hint.

Thanks for the questions. This is such a mighty tool, I'm just beginning to grasp what can be done with that.
  • The one time I played Lady Blackbird with Snargle, the Key of Banter really sang—and not the technobabble part. I think what makes the key really work is that you hit the key when Snargle [in character] says something that makes the players laugh [out of character]. So Snargle's player is only rewarded when his jokes genuinely bring pleasure to the game table ... it seems almost perverse to try to stop that!

So I would suggest that you direct the Key away from technobabble and towards humour!
  • Hmm ... true.

But on the other hand being - really - funny is not that easy. And trying it hard probably wont make it better. And failing to be funny is worse than not trying it at all.

I can see how this Key can be awesome and fun, but I can see too how it can go horribly wrong. Has someone experienced that?
  • "Snargle, why do you owe the Captain your life/freedom?"
    "Snargle, why are you different from all the other goblins?"
    "Kale, how did Snargle get you out of a jam recently?"
    "Cyrus, what's the thing Snargle can do on the Owl that no one else can?"
    Nice questions.

(What happened to the whisper option?)
  • edited June 2012
    Let them play the damn thing. They'll surprise you. Don't try to control everything.

(I sound snarky, but imagine me smiling and drinking a beer with you.)
  • I guess I should be able to trust my players as much as you do. Okay, out of the book it is.
  • Just in case you need some art inspiration for your Lady Blackbird game:)

• edited June 2012
    Regarding Snargle having not having any connections on your relationship map (which I quite like, btw), I think a link/conflict between Naomi's key of vengeance and Snargle's key of conscience can definitely show up.

Edit: and, of course, after I post that, I notice I was beaten. Oh well :p