Dungeon world, french version in-a-box => Jessica Hammer principles in action ?

edited June 2012 in Story Games
Hey there

it's not a "direct promotion", because the stuff is in french, and i don't think there's a lot of people here ready to buy a game in french. ;)
I just want to show you what we've done with Dungeon world

The game is in a box, in fact a "presentation set", with the book inside, and a box with all the stuff. Cover art, characters and inners illustrations are by Russ Nicholson (The warlock of the ...you know),

it's not just a book-in-a-box. We wanted the game to be truly opened to non rpg gamers - and the game has a great potential for it (if i remember, if was one of Vincent Baker's principles when he has designed AW)

So we have imported many principles from boardgames. Color-codes ( 1 character = 1 color), eraseable/reusable material, etc...the moves are on playings cards and every player has its own playbook. we also tried to make the game

You can see all this here :http://www.ulule.com/dungeon-world-vf/

And yes, thanks to Jessica Hammer for her inspiring article:
http://replayable.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/making-horror-selling-dread/

French market is not US market, DW has no fame at all here, but we hope we will reach the amount required, in order to go on the same way with Dread !

(sorrry for my bad english, thoughts are welcome)

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Beautiful-looking design! I saw this a few days ago on Jue de Role and thought it was a completely different game that happened to have the same name. I agree that it has potential for appeal to people who might not have tried a role-playing game.

Seeing The Bloodstone Idol dungeon with a giant Metropolis-looking robot in the center made me smile.

Also, I want a "Discerner La Vérité" tee-shirt. ;)
  • This is gorgeous. Unfortunately couldn't use the rules, but I too would get a shirt like a shot. If you put up a reward option with just the t-shirt I'd fund it right now.
  • This is very cool! If I spoke French, I'd order this immediately.
  • Wow is right!!!
  • edited June 2012
    DELETED
  • Pretty fantastic, right?
  • Wow, c’est bien impressionnant. Est-ce que il serait distribué au Québec, par chance ? Je veux acheter un copie pour chez nous, en partie pour aider les anglophones d’améliorer leurs français.
  • edited June 2012
    Fantastique! I'm going to support so I can get one for my Mum, who is always looking for cool ways to hook in her French language students (especially teenage boys!). Well done, so cool.
  • WOWOWOW! WANT in English, please!
  • O_O

Holy balls.
  • :) Thanks you all. Go tell this to french players ;)

We've been thinking first in a bilingual version, with sage, but it was too early (or late) for that. Anyway, i have in mind an original game, bsed on the apocalypse system and a french anime, that could be bilingual, or at least with english sum-up.

Would it help ?

Oui, il peut etre expédié au quebec et en amérique du nord, sans probleme. il y a "juste" un supplément à payer. Ca serait marrant qu' ils doivent se taper des JDR dans une autrre langue, comme c'est souvent le cas pour les francophones, des deux cotés de l'ocean.
  • This is gorgeous. I am drooling over the cards. Too bad I've forgotten most of the French I ever learned!
  • Fantastique! I'm going to support so I can get one for my Mum, who is always looking for cool ways to hook in her French language students (especially teenage boys!). Well done, so cool.
    Wow, c’est bien impressionnant. Est-ce que il serait distribué au Québec, par chance ? Je veux acheter un copie pour chez nous, en partie pour aider les anglophones d’améliorer leurs français.
    You'd have to add + 12 euro to ship to north america. The real shipping cost it much more expansive...

But...let's say there is no shipping supplement if you choose one of the higher level :)

• Pas de chance, nous vivons en Australie! Ma mère enseigne le français aux élèves du secondaire dans le sud des Hautes-Terres de NSW. Je suis heureux de payer pour l'affranchissement, mais j'aime le trésor qui vient avec des options d'accompagnement de grande niveau. Je vais rester en contact, nous allons travailler sur quelque chose! :)
    Merci d'avoir rendu cela, Maitresinh!
  • Hey Noofy ! Un australien francophone, c'est génial ça :)

I would love to send you the game to australia, despited - hughh - that can be the most expensive of all the rates
  • Hi there. Graphic designer here. Thank you guys! I've been sweating on this for some time now and I'm very, very glad y'all like it.

If you have any question about the game itself or its accessories, feel free to ask.
  • When can I have it in English? TAKE MY DOLLARS.
  • Take mine too!

A couple of questions:
    - what are the figures and the board for? Helping out the new players visualize, or is it played on a grid?
    - who did the awesome artwork? And will we see it in the English version?

• - if you want to see this version in english... well, you should ask Sage ;)

Personnaly, I'm still in favor of a bilingual version. Maybe the next DW edition ?

- The layout is from Gregopor (Aabove; hello Greg). Teh artwork is mainly from Russ Nicholson ( the warlock of the firetop mountain - you know the "first" modern gamebook)

- What are the figure and board for ? Well teh board is eraseable, and you can draw your dungeon to figure out better what the situation is. The cardboard figures are here for the same thing ("where are you character"). Grepopor has writtent a couple of things about that, that he calls "fictionnal positioning"...
  • Russ Nicholson? Of course. I should have recognize his awesomeness. I cut my teeth on the Warlock.
  • Gorgeous! The character stuff/playbooks would translate well into cards. And I can imagine power cards like for 4e for new skills you gain. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for you and I'd love to see what you do with Dread.

It was interesting in Jess' article that she talked about Dread as though it was Vincent's game! I hope there isn't confusion about that.
  • Many thanks Emily. Comming from you, i'm touched.

In fact, there is much more to see than the cover. Gregopor has made an important work on the scenario, converting most of the text into game "pieces" (cards and questions), as you can see here

http://ulule.me/presales/6365/dungeon-world-vf-enboite-14.jpeg

He will explain it better than i do if someone is interested.

And there's no confusion at all with jess's article about Vincent, dont' worry about that.
  • Oh man. I've known about this for so long and it's even more awesome than I could have imagined.

Somewhere down the road there's a possibility of English DW getting a similar treatment, but not any time soon. I'm amazed by the French version and plan on learning everything I can from how they presented the rules and materials.
  • Jesus wept. Why do the French get such pretty things?
  • Pretty fantastic, right?
    I don't even want your version anymore. Europe is the devil.

• As I understand it, this version is pretty different from Dungeon World as it stands today. It's based on the Red Book, updated with some of the changes from the github document, put in a cool box with weird art.

I love that the game isn't even released yet and there are branching variations.
  • WOWOWOW! WANT in English, please!
    Yes. That would be cool.
  • I love that the game isn't even released yet and there are branching variations.
    Definitely. Something as exciting as DW has nothing to fear from variation because this will drive growth. It's like we have Basic D&D and AD&D coming out together. There is no need to join the fan bases if you aren't driven by profits.

• Hey, Sage ! I'm so glad you like it.

The fact is this game is very important for us. I hope the ransom will succed because it will open a door to other similar redesign in-a-box, begnining with Dread, surely Polaris (which is 80 % done, but frozen for a long time, waiting for Ben's agreement on translation), and a lot of DW extensions.

it would also literraly create ( the begining of a) market for these kind of games, because french RPG market at this moment is far too small and not workable. At least, that's the idea.

But right now it's very hard. We've reach 17 % of the amount so far, and we have to fight hard.
    There's almost no "indy" scene yet here (at least, 90 % of RPG gamers here don't know about storygames or have just heard about), and DW has no fame at all.
    I love that the game isn't even released yet and there are branching variations.
    Definitely. Something as exciting as DW has nothing to fear from variation because this will drive growth. It's like we have Basic D&D and AD&D coming out together. There is no need to join the fan bases if you aren't driven by profits.

That was exactly the idea ! Game history is stammering, strangely.

• I don't even want your version anymore. Europe is the devil.

This.

• edited June 2012

I don't even want your version anymore. Europe is the devil.

This.

Well. I sometime wich i were american, especially seeing how much you like our version, and how difficult it's in france...give me a green card !

Seriously, i really hope that there will be US game-designer willing to work with us for a bilingual version of their next games. A euro-american approach can be a great combination, not to talk about saving a lot of money in art and production by working together.

Greater games, cheaper games.
  • Where in france do you live?
  • This is a great call. I want to see awesome product spread to all languages, and great art and layout is universal.
  • edited June 2012
    :) i live in south of france, next to avignon, but i also use to spend time in Chile (santiago), and i speak spanish too (better than english i think)

Before starting to work on DW, we've also been talking with the spanish guys of Conbarba for a common spanish/french version . I think this kid of collaboration is usefull especially for games in a box: you can cut off the high costs by sharing it and increasing the scale of production.

A lot of storygames have the potential to become games in a box, and thus, reach a wider audience. When i say "in a box" i don't mean books in a box, but the less books as possible, and the most game (parts) as possible. Something quick and easy to start with.

So, "internationalizaton" of content should be, as for boardgames market, a key to take off. But it requires a lot of work and news concepts (iconization, for exemple)

• Honestly, though, it wouldn't be too complicated to market those cards for English-speaking audiences. If you subbed in English text and sold them as a pack, I bet they'd sell like gangbusters, and it probably wouldn't be too hard to find someone to partner with to manufacture/distribute them in North America. Hell, you could make a Kickstarter for them!
  • As part of our arrangement with our French friends I believe we have the option of doing just that!
  • edited June 2012
    DOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
  • Stretch goal?
  • STRETCH GOOOOOOAAAALLLL!!!
  • As part of our arrangement with our French friends I believe we have the option of doing just that!
    yes you do. I guess you just need to get gregrory's agreement and credit us. Personnally, i would be glad to see you use them.

You have nothing to pay, but if you'd want to help us in any ways with the french version of DW, that would be welcome.
  • This is me, being skeptical.
  • Incroyable! Bravo!
  • Mmmmmm want the pretty cards, speak no French.
  • This looks absolutely gorgeous. From here, it looks like exactly the kind of good visual and instructional design we need to make our games accessible to a wider audience. Time to signal boost!

(And "Jessica Hammer principles" - oh goodness! I can't say I'm not flattered!)
  • edited June 2012
    you've made a good article, something inspired. I had already in mind those things, but you've expressed it simply, clearly and in an exhaustive way.

Something like that ?

- Don't call it RPG anymore, unless you want people run away
    - Sell a game, not a book: all what the player need to play must be inside the game
    - Take care of people's time : people must be able to play quickly. So write the rule so that they have just what they need when it's usefull, no more, no less
    - Tell them all they have to do: non-gamers aren't used to make interpretation. For the first game they need to know all they have to do exactly
  • This game needs to be made. Just checked this site and with 12 days to go they still need a couple of thousand dollars. Unfortunately my French is not good enough for me to back for the product, but I would love one of those shirts (seriously, I'd pay $50) and maybe some of the cutouts of the monsters.

How can we help get this across the line?
    Any additional things that would entice you to back as a non-French speaker?
    Anyone you know who speaks French well enough to buy this for?
  • edited August 2012
    This looks amazing. I'm working on a Hebrew DW book and your work inspires me.
    Especially the playing cards. I may decide to produce something like that after I publish my book.
  • edited August 2012
    Hey, wighbred, thank you so much for saying that !

In fact we need much more than that (around 14 000 euros). From the begining, we've decided to put money from our pocket, but we need to gather at least 8500 euros, it's the minimum base.

At this time, we've reached 78 % (6663 euro). The link http://fr.ulule.com/dungeon-world-vf/

here are a few ideas of what we could offer for english speaking people,

- EDIT: The T-shirts. Wy not. With 50 USD by tee, we could send them as letter to the US (including shipping then).

- the eraseable battlemap with the cardboards figures, the players's eraseable screens (X4) are almost language-free. But they may not be the most interesting. I don't know.

- A deck of english playings cards with the common moves and special moves (arounds 5 decks of 8 cards + 2 decks of 8 cards)
    - A deck of english playings cards with the fronts of the scenario

There could be a pack for all the cards in english.

if we would sold the pack at 30 euros (shipping included - see below), we would have to sell at least around 110 packs to reach 100 % and cover our costs (or 160 packs at 20 euro)

BUT i don't want to short-circuit Sage or be a pain in the ass. We'd need his agreement. And the better way, in order to cut down shipping costs, would be sending sending all this to Sage, for US pledgers who are also buying the cards.

i'm pretty sure there is something very interesting to do for both, because, for exemple if we sell 110 packs, there would be around 390 more (at least) for Sage in the parcel (we would have to craft at least 500! )

• At this time, we've reached 78 % (6663 euro). The link http://fr.ulule.com/dungeon-world-vf/
    This is the most beautiful thing ever. We've got to make this happen.