[minis+] Minis you bought "just because"...

edited May 2012 in Story Games
Okay, so it's pretty clear I love minis. While I've got an absurd collection of minis that are geared towards certain games or genres, occasionally I buy oddball stuff that doesn't actully fit with anything much.

For example, I bought these waggamaephs, along with these other, cheeky waggamaephs just for the heck of it.

Nifty, eh?

What sort of oddball stuff is in your collection?

Also, let's make this thread interactive: After someone posts their oddball stuff, offer suggestions on how the stuff they're showing might be worked into a game.

Comments

• Oddball stuff describes a good third of my collection (over 500 miscellaneous figures that I purchased purely because I thought they looked cool or might make a fun one-off monster for a game)...and then there's the hundreds of figures I own for games that are now basically obsolete (Rackham stuff, Warzone, Chronopia, Stuff from various Games Workshop factions that have been rendered unplayable due to rule version updates, etc.).

But let's look at something specific...

...an 800+ man 28mm-scale Japanese army including around 200 swordsmen, 300 ashigaru, 100 archers, 100 calvary, 50 ninjas, 50 monks and around 30 heroes/command group units. Some of these figures are from the obsolete L5R Clan War game, most are from a local producer. I'll post some images shortly.
  • Oh man, you've just gotta be able to make something cool with that Michael! That's got convention long multi-day camapign multiform written all over it.
  • edited May 2012
    A lot of the old Cthulhu minis I bought "just because." Also, I liked painting Edwardian butlers and flappers better than monsters with guns.

Unfortunately, my wife also painted them and got them in the divorce. I still have a handful of color co-ordinated minis from Iron Claw (a game I never inteded to play even when I bought the minis.) I have my eye on those cute mouse hero minis.

http://www.purplepawn.com/2010/09/mice-minis/

But I'm currently unemployed, so my opinion probably doesn't count.

(Incidentally, those wagga... waggerama... waggawoozer... them furry gremlins is pretty durn adorable.)
  • edited May 2012
    If we want to get more specific...

I picked up this figure...

...a few months ago. I haven't painted her yet.

I'm really looking for something awesome to play with her.
  • Watch out Arpie- It was CoC minis that got me (re-) started on this whole mini thing a coupleof years back, and it was also the non-monster minis...

Vulpinoid
    Hah! What a great mini. Who makes it? I could see it in a gothed up Froudian Labyrinth type setting. Maybe a personality to give your goblins trouble?
  • I'll paw through bins of cheap tiny rubber animals all day to find unique figs for our D&D game, and since they're cheap I'll buy stuff I might never use.

Your typical toy spider becomes colossal on a D&D battlemat. Rubber stingrays make great abominations from the Far Realm. Itty-bitty dragons become newly-hatched dragonlings. Dinosaurs are a great change of pace from orcs and beholders.
  • Ha! Don't get me start on stuff I found in gumball machines.
    Why, if I had $30 to $90 dollars even now, my house would soon fill up with capsule toys.

One of my fantasy shopping sites (with urbanzees - how I long to make a board game with these things!)

http://www.candymachines.com/Urbanzees-Vending-Capsules-P1702.aspx
  • Those are pretty awesom actually. i always sorta like Homies when they were out too.
  • I bought these to obstensibly use with Mouse Guard, but they just end up sitting in the middle of the table looking pretty...

The map and pawns get far more use as actual play aids! Plus the players made their own characters (and drew rather nifty portraits on the excellent character sheets).
  • I had a buddy who wanted to find Mouse Guard minis. There are a few mouse-y fantasy minis made by Reaper and for an old game called Quaktika, but they don't fitreally well with the Mouse Guard look.

I suggested he look into polymer clay fansites for ideas. I've found a couple how-tos around that might help if you're a bit crafty.
  • I own a huge armada of Pirates of the Spanish main ships. I even bought a box from Germany. I haven't played the game in a while, but I love building the ships. I also bought another game called Rocketmen which is similar to the constructible Star Wars game.
  • Robert, can you provide some sort of link or illo of Quaktika? I confess to a fondness for waterfowl.
  • I'd have to find out who has the rights to the minis these days.
  • edited June 2012
    Weird minis I bought at Origins: 15mm guys on motorcycles (I see a post apocalyptic race game in my future) - Mall Cops (guys with guts but not segways) archeology diggers (are they planting IED's?) and Deep Ones (cos why the hell not!)

My Birthday and Christmas presents are covered.

Oh! You can see what the figures look like at Rebel Miniatures.
  • Every time I go to Japan I always pick up some weird collectible minis.

A few years back I got Asura and Kujaku-Meioh from the "Mandala of Esoteric Buddhism Collection".
    http://mist.in/isabeau/candyty/mikkyo/mikkyo.htm

These past two years I've been collecting some minis from the "Heart of Peace: Buddhist Icons Collection":
    http://toypara.com/catalog.cgi?products/gasya/wanokokoro/home.html
    Namely the pair of Kongoh-Rikishi (aka "Nio" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nio ) figures here:

I also scored (by accident, from a capsule machine in Nara) the gold version of the Miroku Basatsu/Maitreya Bodhisattva (also in the pic above). I wager its just a matter of time before I turn him into a laser-eyed final boss.
  • edited June 2012
    These ... all of the minis in the Okko line.

They are gorgeous, but just to warn anyone crazy enough, they are HARD to assemble. They require delicate pinning and have extremely tiny pieces.

I've purchased a few random minis from other lines to customize, as the card/board game for Okko has three expansions that do not include minis. I've found some cool bases to sculpt on.

Also, I have a cheap but complete army of Chinese mythical units from Arcane Legions that come in handy too.
  • edited June 2012
    Posted By: AndyEvery time I go to Japan I always pick up some weird collectible minis.

A few years back I got Asura and Kujaku-Meioh from the "Mandala of Esoteric Buddhism Collection".
    http://mist.in/isabeau/candyty/mikkyo/mikkyo.htm

These past two years I've been collecting some minis from the "Heart of Peace: Buddhist Icons Collection":
    http://toypara.com/catalog.cgi?products/gasya/wanokokoro/home.html
    Namely the pair of Kongoh-Rikishi (aka "Nio"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nio) figures here:

I also scored (by accident, from a capsule machine in Nara) the gold version of the Miroku Basatsu/Maitreya Bodhisattva (also in the pic above). I wager its just a matter of time before I turn him into a laser-eyed final boss.
    Those Buddhist Icons also look a bit like Burmese fairies.
  • When I was in fourth grade or so, I got a big case of Star Trek Micro Machines because I liked space ships. I had never seen Star Trek.
  • edited June 2012

This one. I showed my wife that they made a miniature of her and I.........I get hit a lot.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah. All the naked chick miniatures I used to own were actually bought by my wife.

Also, this is an awesome story:
    Posted By: LulaWhen I was in fourth grade or so, I got a big case of Star Trek Micro Machines because I liked space ships. I had never seen Star Trek.
    Could you start a thread where you tell us some of the stories you used to make up about the Star Trek ships without having seen Star Trek? Please? I'd love to hear some. Pure creativity is the best creativity! (I used to have this wind-up frog that I would pretend was a spaceship, until my Dad got a good job and all of a sudden we could afford Star Wars figures. Then my imagination went to crap for a while.)

Sometimes, I really miss that frog. It represents lost innocence to me, I guess.
  • I own virtually all of Kev White's Grymn, despite having no actual use for them, and not having even painted the ones I have.

That hasn't stopped me from TRYING to use them, though.
  • By the way, James (Lula), would you whisper me if you start that thread? Please?
  • edited June 2012
    Oh my gosh! I didn't know they'd done Discworld minis!

http://www.paulkidby.com/miniatures/index.html

Dude. why is Twoflower yellow?
  • I keep buying Hot Wheels and similar little cars just to inspire myself to work on a game that uses them
  • What? No Hogfather?
  • Dude. why is Twoflower yellow?
    Whoever painted that one is mildly racist. I mean, I know he's from the Disc's version of Far-East Asia and all, but come on...

• edited July 2012
    What I'd like to find are more miniatures with a wide, stable base incorporated into the figure. I'm very fond of designs like the kinkeshi superdeformed erasers of pro-wrestlers from the 80s. (I think it's this one: http://www.toycollector.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=30774&category_id=476&Itemid=522 And I don't want the things to be no 3 inches tall! Jeez! 1" maximum!
  • Bases on plastic or rubber figures are super easy to add. If you decide to work with something like that, lemme know and I'll go into it.
  • edited July 2012
    Actually, I don't want to ADD bases, I want figures that have a base designed into them. Little fat guys with stubby legs kind of thing.

Or like the Gregory Horror Show guys: http://www.catmoo.co.uk/blog/2008/02/16/gregory-horror-show-miniatures
  • edited July 2012
    Have you considered the joys of postertack instead?

Also, those Horror Show minis look really clever and stylish. In terms of visual appeal, you could go with some very different and experimental approaches to world terrain with those.
  • Well, I'm pretty bad at sculpting. I just want to paint 'em. Let other guys do the work and I'll scrounge up the cash here and there... if they sell them in small sets!

And, yeah, Gregory Horror Show minis would look awesome with terrain based on The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari!
  • edited July 2012
    I hadn't been thinking of Caligaro specifically, but that sure is close to the direction I was thinking. Lots of stylized, angular design with a bit of warping.

Oh, and poster tack is just that blue stuff you use on posters to hold them to the wall instead of tacks or nails. It can be used to fake the effects of a base on figures that don't have a solid footing built in sometimes. Of course, there's all kinds of chips and disks of various kinds out there too, and some pretty good glues.
  • I collect Mouse Guard minis, I'll never get them all painted. My friend who owns a game store always lets me know when a new boxed set or seasonal mini comes in, and I always tell him to save me one and I buy it, as they are hard to resist, but I know all they will ever do is sit in a box, as I don't have time to paint them. They are also so tiny that I would be kind of scared to try to paint them. I would love to get some DiscWorld minis, especially both Moist von Lipwigs, but some of the other ones look really cool too; Death, Adorabelle Dearheart, Tiffany Aching, the Witches. I'm curious what the Gregory Horror Show minis are made of, they kind of look like folded paper or cardboard from the picture, sort of crisp corners, but I would suspect they are metal like most minis.
  • Plastic. They released them in booster packs and it's frightfully difficult to get a complete set. (I had 3 near completes before I had one complete)
    They are pretty cute, about 2cm at their base.

If you don't mind never having the "rare" ones (the grim reaper looking one, the pink nurse lizard, or the cactus gunman) you can pick up boosters pretty cheaply. Be prepared for an unhealthy proportion of "Fat Chicken"s. I had a dozen of those things.
  • slliska:

I only paint minis because they don't come painted. Nor am I even close to a truly talented painter.

There are actually some very cool effects I've seen that are easy to do if you don't mind a black and white look like an old movie, and can really show off the details of a mini.