[Idea me][minis+] Re-using Character minis in a campaign

edited May 2012 in Story Games
Okay folks, we're getting some good minis ideas from various threads about minis use right now.

I want to get some ideas about something peculiar that only really could come up as an issue for people who both really like using minis, and also want to run campaigns.

I need some ideas about the re-use of character miniatures.

I bolded that specifically because I'm talking about a certain kind of miniature. Not necessarily a PC ( the gmae may not exactly have that depending on how you play), but just plain a cool key character that you bought and painted up a great mini for. One that's really distinct. One that the players instantly recognize as an individual.

So... not mooks, of the largely faceless variety. Not even nameless, non-unique monsters. Minis with a personality attached to them that the players have developed.

It's notthe sort of thing that would come up as an issue for wargamers, but it kinda does for more RPGer/SGer types sommitted to putting a real focus on minis use. After all, if Lord Wulfmaw Bolterhead goes down to ork choppas this game, no one thinks to badly if he's back for another go next week.

It'slso not such a big deal in a non-campaign context If you're running one off events, that particular min represents a character that might well get killed to death, and hey, that's cool too. But it's a one-off.

But what do you do for a campaign? You aren't likely simply to retire the mini in question.

I mean, sure, you can always use them as a spare zombie or orc or something, but are there some other ideas for their re-use? For perhaps keeping them available for re-use even when in theory they should have met there doom in fiction?

Anyone out there with some ideas about this particular dilemma?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    I've encountered a similar situation using Heroclix minis, and what I'll do after Thor gets killed (or whatever) is bring in the alternate-reality version of Thor -- the evil one that made a deal with Ulik and betrayed the forces of Asgard. The mean Thor who walks around swatting random civilians with his hammer, just for kicks. So now you got a new villain! A strong one.

I could see doing something similar with Lord Wulfmaw. Or, hell, if he's dead, bring him back as a lich!
  • Posted By: RafaelI've encountered a similar situation using Heroclix minis, and what I'll do after Thor gets killed (or whatever) is bring in the alternate-reality version of Thor -- the evil one that made a deal with Ulik and betrayed the forces of Asgard. The mean Thor who walks around swatting random civilians with his hammer, just for kicks. So now you got a new villain! A strong one.

I could see doing something similar with Lord Wulfmaw. Or, hell, if he's dead, bring him back as a lich!
    Rafael, do you think it's posssible to write some kind of procedure into rules/guidelines for that sort of thing? Or even just have a social level rule that if a character mini gets knocked out fiction-wise, players have to have some kind of input into bringing them back in for use?

I like what you're talking about in broad terms, but for myself in particular, as the guy most likely to be buying and painting these minis, I have a sort of vested interest in seeing them being used more than once.

How can I rope other players into doing some of thecreative lifting on this stuff so poor old Darth Wulfmaw sees more in game use after his initial demise?
  • I'd let the players have a say in it. I mean, if the character's cool enough, then they'll come up with their own solution, be it "alternate-reality Wulfmaw," or "Wulfmaw from 10 years ago, warped forward in time though a paradox," or "evil twin of Wulfmaw."

I would totally lay down the law on my gaming group (which is simple, as they're quite obedient): you kill this dude, I'm going to resurrect him as a vampire lord or something.

But the thing is, I usually buy prepainted plastic minis for under a buck apiece, so I'm coming at this from a different angle. You're spending money on metal minis and painting them, so you've got to be firm with those jackals: your word is law, and Wulfmaw is going to have a magical clone that wants revenge.

Also: put hooks on that bad boy. Phrase it in the form of a question. "What does Wulfmaw 2.0 have that you truly need? How did he acquire it? If the original Wulfmaw is dead, then who the hell is this handsome devil over here? His clone? His twin?"

I dunno, but I imagine the players will surprise you.