[Tabletop the show [Wheaton and Day]] Fiasco is in!

edited March 2012 in Story Games
We reached 3 comments in the Stuff to Watch thread, so I'm starting a new discussion.

People were asking if it was going to be just boardgames. Well, apparently not! Here Wil Wheaton says that they will be playing Fiasco, too, with John Rogers (of Leverage) no less.

Here's the trailer, for those that missed it.

Comments

• Here's a list of games seen in the trailer:
    1. don't know
    2. Settlers of Catan
    3. Munchin
    4. Last Day on Earth
    5. don't know
    6. Small World

Based on the show's logo I'm expecting that there might be more RPGs involved. Probably cardgames, too.
  • Also in the trailer: Pandemic.
  • Jason Morningstar claimed on Twitter that the Fiasco episode "features a custom playset built by people you know and admire!" The admired folks are apparently not the Bully Pulpit folks.

Gameplaywright also mentions an episode where they play Dragon Age.
  • edited March 2012
    Also: Dragon Age, apparently.

Scooped by Nick!

(It is a great playset. It will be a long while before the episode airs and there are many, many great games to enjoy until then.)
  • Print those Fiasco books now, Mr. Morningstar.
  • What Hans said: You ain't ready for the pop that's likely to come from those two getting excited about Fiasco. I know, I know: you HOPE you have that "problem." But still.... Gonna be a BIG pop, I'll wager. Keep us in the loop, even if only with vague numbers...?
  • So, the first episode, Small World, is out. I must say this is very well done, Wil explains the rules in a very clear and concise manner, they cover a whole game in 30 minutes (with cuts, of course) it's got funny quips and typical round the table behavior (trash talking, cheering the dice etc.). It's a great way to present games to people.

It's not the best thing ever, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.
  • Yeah, I'm excited to see what they do with Fiasco, in terms of instruction and communicating gameplay. The Small World episode had a lot of visual sophistication.
  • Does anyone know how frequently episodes will air?

Is it weird that I enjoy watching reviews of games I already own and play?
  • I think it's supposed to be every other friday.
  • Matt Fraction was tweeting the other night on his Fiasco game with Ed Brubaker and Wil. Second or third time that I know of with Brubaker. Really hope Wil can get one or both of those guys on the show for Fiasco. Fraction is fuckin' nuts. In the best way.
  • edited April 2012
    Day[9]!

I am dying to see what they do with fiasco. Seriously freaking out here. It will be really nice to have something to point to and say, this is what play is like. and have it be super accessible.
  • Fraction and Brubaker playing Fiasco? Sounds like time for an Iron Fist playset. The tournament of the capital cities...
  • Posted By: sageFraction and Brubaker playing Fiasco? Sounds like time for an Iron Fist playset. The tournament of the capital cities...
    That would be awesome. I played a fun Iron Fist tournament mini-campaign with Jake and Joel a few months after the Iron Fist relaunch. Following a PTA-style pitch session, we used Panty Explosion for our ruleset.
  • Posted By: Ross Cowman
    I am dying to see what they do with fiasco. Seriously freaking out here. It will be really nice to have something to point to and say, this is what play is like. and have it be super accessible.
    Yeah, it's going to be pretty sweet. It's kind of crazy to think that it's 2012 and we don't have one good, cool video to point to and say, "This is what I do on Thursday nights." That'll be fixed soon.
  • Last night I watched the first episode of Tabletop. Man! That show is totally awesome.

Wheaton makes it clear that one of his first agendas is to be an enthusiastic guide to new players. When he does remind about rules (asking Jenna to put down an extra token), he is generous and non-patronizing about it. Everyone is giddy and excited throughout, in a dorky and lovable way. Rules are explained, but never over-explained. The dramatic significance of certain mechanics are frequently underscored.

I loved it.
  • For April Fool's day next year, they should do a 3-hour episode on ASL or 18xx as a shaggy dog episode.
  • I adore that it is a thirty minute show, not some gag-filled fly-by presentation of a game as a method of being jokey. They really teach some good basics, there's no mockery of geek culture here. I am a big fan of this show.
  • Just to dog pile on the praise, I can't wait for new episode!
    --
    TAZ
  • Best way to support programming like this is to make sure you non-geek friends know about it and see if they might be curious about checking it out as an easy and fun way to learn about tabletop gaming.

Day and her producers need to rack up viewers and ad counts so click away!
  • No telling how many copies of Small World that episode will sell. At least one for me, anyway.
  • That was fun! Breezy, accessible, interesting, all that good stuff. Just four people playing a game and having a great goddamn time.
  • I didnt watch the whole show , but for anyone who knows, is Small World like an orcified version of 'history of the world' ?

HOTW

Its a neat concept for a game, but man it can take a while to play out, particuarly since the historical nature of the game means the last couple of turns involve empires taking over the whole world, whereas at the start its just centered on the middle east.
  • No, it's much more abstract - closer to Vinci by the same designer. It feels a little like an investment game in conquest-game clothing.
  • Posted By: stefoidI didnt watch the whole show , but for anyone who knows, is Small World like an orcified version of 'history of the world' ?
    Smallworld

In terms of actual mechanics, it's about resource allocation.
    In terms of "hard choices," it's about deciding when to cut your losses.
    In terms of art and colour, it's about crazy chaotic fighting between cute but sinister/savage creatures.
  • Steve: It is like HotW only in the sense that you play multiple civilizations (generally 3) over the course of the game. The board is very abstract and not representing any historical terrain. And a game generally takes only 45-60 minutes depending on the number of players.

It is actually a re-theming of an older game called Vinci. It was aiming at something with a bit more of a "history of the world" feel with civilization technologies like "Currency" and "Astronomy" rather than "Flying" or "Alchemist" but still very abstracted. Even though I liked the theme, I gave my copy away a few years back because I preferred Small World. It's a great little game.
  • Posted By: DenysBest way to support programming like this is to make sure you non-geek friends know about it and see if they might be curious about checking it out as an easy and fun way to learn about tabletop gaming.

Day and her producers need to rack up viewers and ad counts so click away!
    To be more specific, it would really help them if you subscribed to the Youtube channel. Even if that's not normally your thing (it's not mine) it will help them show Google that the Geek & Sundry channel is popular enough to keep sponsoring it.
  • I also saw and enjoyed this show. Was anyone else struck by two rules mistakes made in the play of the game? I suspect that these errors decided the victory. I'm not sure that it matters.
  • Plus, Vinci has the classic "round the table" point tracker. SmallWorld doesn't, and the rules clearly state that you should keep your point coins covered.

Unless you're playing with some obsessive-compulsive that keeps track of all points (and really, *I* wouldn't) the game tends to feel much, much more uncertain: the psychological effect of knowing someone had a couple of big turns at the start tends to shift alliances, people think someone is far ahead, or far behind... and in the end the winner is maybe 4 points ahead, and is frequently NOT the one that looked like the favorite.

It's a subtle thing, but I feel it helps a lot.