[Sagas of the Icelanders] Tell me about it

edited March 2012 in Story Games
So I saw the links to the Sagas of the Icelanders docs in the March Stuff to Watch thread and I am very intrigued. However, I'm not exactly sure I know what's going on. I've played Apocalypse World a bit, but it doesn't seem like there's enough info to get me started playing Sagas. What am I missing? I'm particularly interested in the threats hexagon. Having Thor cloud judgment, brew up storms and tear asunder? Where do I sign up?

Comments

• Hello Keith.

I think that if you're familiar with the general way of how Apocalypse World (and other "powered by the Apocalypse" games) works, you should probably be able to make the game work only from what I've shared so far. If not, I'd love to hear what specifically you're missing. But I see you're asking that same question yourself, so I'll try to answer. I'd say that what's missing from the game is:
    -the historical context/setting info
    -explanations of how moves work (you can find this in AW for now)
    -some guidance for players plus maybe some more info about each of their individual moves
    -MC Agenda, Principles & Moves and the general instructions on running the game
    That's what I'm aiming for in the complete text.

The threats hexagon is just a different take on the 1st session MC sheet from Apocalypse World. It's an aid to structured improvisation, a thematic tool. Instead of Ambition, Hunger, Envy, etc. you've got the various gods, the powers that be, each with a set of colour/moves. During the first session you write your NPCs down in the hexagon as they appear and then you can look to the gods to make him or her act a certain way or make certain things happen to him or her. For example, in the session I ran last week, I put Eyving, a boy from the valley over, down next to Freya. Freya made me inflame passion and so at one point Eyvind tried to kiss Vigdis the shield maiden and she punched him in the face. One thing lead to another and bam, now I've got a blood feud to work with.
  • I suppose my problem is being familiar with AW only as a PC and not MC. That and not realizing you were working on another document. What you have so far looks amazing and I can't wait to see the rest. Ate you thinking of doing this up as a Kickstarter project? I know I'd back it.
  • edited March 2012
    I would like to, but as far as I know, I can't do Kickstarters because I'm not from the US (and a quick search confirms that). I think Indie Go Go is a possibility. I'll have to look into that when I have the time.