Are there any other Apocalypse World hacks out there?

edited February 2012 in Story Games
So I know of:

Dungeon World
The Regiment
Cthulhutech

Comments

• Monster of the Week
    Monster Hearts
    Dragon World

And a bunch more at the AW forums.
  • Last weekend I got to play Companions, a hack for playing Doctor Who's companions who fly around in the Tardis keeping up his work after his death.

http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=1997.0

I am also really digging the Rogue Trader hack, but have yet to try it:

http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?board=21.0

- Colin
  • What a minute: there's a Cthulhutech hack? Where can that be found?
  • Posted By: thadrineAre there any other Apocalypse World hacks out there?
    I just finished an IndieGoGo campaign for my Apocalypse World hack, Monsterhearts. It's a game about the messy lives of teenage monsters. Like the others on your list, it's a "ground up" rebuild of the Apocalypse World engine.
  • Beneath a More Auspicious Star is pretty sweet. And I will hound Stuart even from BEYOND THE GRAVE until he finishes it.
  • The Cthulhutech reskin is called Aeon World. (http://www.scribd.com/collections/3035009/Aeon-World-a-Cthulhutech-Apocalypse-World-reskin) There may be a more recent version out; I'm not sure.

There's also Deadweight, the zombie/parkour hack (https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1IsjBSLHU871MsXncEVV0jCqR4rcKEZSPGmefT4f1gGo).

And wasn't Murderous Ghosts an AW hack? (Haven't read it yet, but it's listed under hacks at the AW forum.)
  • Posted By: FigureFourBeneath a More Auspicious Star is pretty sweet. And I will hound Stuart even from BEYOND THE GRAVE until he finishes it.
    Is that in a playable state yet? I've been looking forward to it for a while now.
  • Posted By: michael.harrelPosted By: FigureFourBeneath a More Auspicious Star is pretty sweet. And I will hound Stuart even from BEYOND THE GRAVE until he finishes it.
    Is that in a playable state yet? I've been looking forward to it for a while now.

I'm not sure how to answer that. It hasn't been worked on in a long time, but it's in a state where Stuart could run it (we almost had a playtest game!). It's probably in a state where I could run it, but I used to chat with Stuart while he was designing the game, so I might know things that aren't anywhere in the sprawl of notes I've seen.

I think all the sprawling notes are here is you want to read them and see if YOU could run it . . .
  • Murderous Ghosts is an Apocalypse World hack, yes, but it's an extreme one. I'm not sure how much farther you could hack the game.

Don't forget Planet Algol!
  • Posted By: lumpleyMurderous Ghosts is an Apocalypse World hack, yes, but it's an extreme one. I'm not sure how much farther youcouldhack the game.

Don't forgetPlanet Algol!
    Planet Algol is a beast. Blair and Johnstone have put together something really fucked-up-magical over there.
  • Me and a friend are working on a Nobilis Hack, which we're currently playtesting ourselves. So far it feels really good.

Here are som playbooks.
  • Posted By: skinnyghostPosted By: lumpleyMurderous Ghosts is an Apocalypse World hack, yes, but it's an extreme one. I'm not sure how much farther youcouldhack the game.

Don't forgetPlanet Algol!
    Planet Algol is a beast. Blair and Johnstone have put together something really fucked-up-magical over there.

I deserve no credit for Planet Algol. That fucked-up magic as all Blair. I just hacked it for AW.
  • Posted By: FigureFourPosted By: michael.harrelPosted By: FigureFourBeneath a More Auspicious Star is pretty sweet. And I will hound Stuart even from BEYOND THE GRAVE until he finishes it.

I'm not sure how to answer that. It hasn't been worked on in a long time, but it's in a state where Stuart could run it (we almost had a playtest game!). It's probably in a state where I could run it, but I used to chat with Stuart while he was designing the game, so I might know things that aren't anywhere in the sprawl of notes I've seen.

I think all the sprawling notes arehereis you want to read them and see if YOU could run it . . .

It's been on pause for far too long - I took a break to explore different things that could be done with AW's move structure (available with enough prodding).

Then, I took the challenge to produce new games/scenarios for each month of the London Indie Meetup Group.

BaMAS is still on the agenda and I do still look at it and consider what is to be done with it. Assuming you're familiar with AW and willing to play fast and loose you could take it for a spin.

However, my current thinking on it takes it further away from the conventional AW structure - removing Harm, expanding Moves in an indefinite direction and other such things.

Unfortunately, compared to writing and running a game in the space of a week and a bit, BaMAS has a slightly slower pay-off so it needs more encouragement to be worked on. I have not forgotten it - be assured of that.
  • Posted By: ShadowmourneUnfortunately, compared to writing and running a game in the space of a week and a bit, BaMAS has a slightly slower pay-off so it needs more encouragement to be worked on. I have not forgotten it - be assured of that.
    What sort of encouragement are you talking about? Kind words? Cookies? Cash? I will send you these things if you finish the game!
  • Time for Stuart to do a Kickstarter! That'll light a fire under his butt!
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: Peter Aronson
    And a bunch more at theAW forums.
    The problem with a lot of those is that I can not download a pdf of it, and they do not have finished characters books.
  • Posted By: Sam!Time for Stuart to do a Kickstarter! That'll light a fire under his butt!
    Woah, woah, woah.

People should not do Kickstarter campaigns before their game is finished.
    At the very least, they should have a completed text that's gone through all of its playtesting (both internal and external), and editors/artists/layout folks lined up.

If someone's got a full game that (1) they've been working on for less than 9 months, or (2) that they haven't themselves played more than a few times, or (3) that isn't a complete text yet, I'm really dubious about the value of rushing to a funding source (or publication in general). That's just me speaking as an individual, but I've made the mistake of rushing through development and publishing prematurely, and it's one I deeply regret.

In general, I think that haste doesn't help products. Sometimes, a project needs to lay fallow for 3, 6, or 16 months before a designer has the skills+inclination+time+inspiration+resources to finish a design and bring it to the light of day. Sometimes, a project never gains its adult wings, and it dies out. Both of these scenarios are healthy and good.

• Posted By: thadrinePosted By: Peter Aronson
    And a bunch more at theAW forums.
    The problem with a lot of those is that I can not download a pdf of it, and they do not have finished characters books.

Well, you'd better start writing then.

What, you thought we'd offer you something without a cost? No way man, it's all fuckery and intermittent rewards when you're powered by Apocalypse World.
  • There is my Sagas of the Icelanders hack (which is taking forever mostly on account of how I can't get any internal playtesting done, ever).

It's based on the settlement of Iceland in the 10th century, drawing on both fiction and real history. It's frontier drama. It's all about survival in the frozen north, sticking together, falling apart, honor, blood oaths and ladies. Badass ladies.

I just need to lock down a problematic playbook and I'll share.
  • I have a jumbled text file that I'm hoping will spontaneously mutate into a Paranoia hack.
  • I made one - It's called The Boy and The Girl, and it's about a young goblin child attempting to rescue an extra-dimensional princess from the evil Demon King! It was partly an experiment to see how far I could stretch things, the way Murderous Ghost stretches things (I didn't stretch them very much in the end).

Just put the playtest document up yesterday.
  • Joe, I agree with you that one shouldn't rush to publication before finding an audience, but

Sometimes, a project needs to lay fallow for 3, 6, or 16 months before a designer has the skills+inclination+time+inspiration+resources to finish a design and bring it to the light of day.

is bullshit. "Lie fallow" is a process used by farmers before crop rotation was invented, for very specific chemical reasons. The only way for designers to develop skills is to design. Time and resources are not as easy to control, and shortages of those are very valid reasons to delay a project, but the absolute worst thing you can do for your design skills is not design, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

As for inspiration, any serious craftsman will tell you that inspiration is an excuse more often than it is an advantage. Don't use it that way. It is disgusting.

• edited February 2012
    Posted By: shreyas"Lie fallow" is a process used by farmers before crop rotation was invented, for very specific chemical reasons. The only way for designers to develop skills is to design.
    Right. Sometimes you need to develop skills before you can tackle a specific design. The way you develop skills is by working on other designs.

I'm not meaning to suggest that a designer will magically develop skills through the process of not designing. That makes no sense. Genius is something you earn through practice.

The way you gain more skills is by doing more design.
    The way you gain more inspiration is by exploring new sources of inspiration (including adopting new ways of appreciating the things you already like).
    The way you gain more resources is nebulous, but damn I'd like to codify that one.
  • Posted By: McdaldnoPosted By: shreyas"Lie fallow" is a process used by farmers before crop rotation was invented, for very specific chemical reasons. The only way for designers to develop skills is to design.
    Right. The way crop rotation works is you let a field lie fallow while you worked your remaining 2-4 fields.
    Similarly, sometimes you need to develop skills before you can tackle a specific design. The way you develop skills is by working on other designs.

I thought crop rotation was when you planted a different crop in the field, in order to alter the chemical contents of the soil.
    I think leaving a design on the back burner for a while is similar. Sometimes you need a new crop to get your brain fertile again.
  • Yeah, I wrote that sloppily and botched my metaphors. So I just edited the metaphor out of my post, in order to say what I was actually meaning to say, rather than getting lost in farming metaphors.

If anyone wants to continue engaging this discussion (I don't, particularly), then they should start a new thread, because we're really derailing this one.
  • I'm working on a Cyberpunk hack (working title: CyberWorld). I've playtested at a couple of cons, but it's not organised enough for external playtesting yet. There are a couple of threads in the Barf Forth hack forum linked above.
  • edited February 2012
    [cite]Posted By: thadrine[/cite]

Good point, so I've quickly run off a pdf version of 'hood, my hack about ordinary, everyday criminals struggling to hold on and prosper. This is the same as all the individual pages covering the game on my website, but now collected into one document, with a sample map! What's missing is some playtesters, so feel free to grab a copy, try it out and let me know where it went wrong.
  • Posted By: McdaldnoPosted By: Sam!Time for Stuart to do a Kickstarter! That'll light a fire under his butt!
    Woah, woah, woah.

People should not do Kickstarter campaigns before their game is finished.
    I wasn't actually being serious about the Kickstarter — or rather IndieGoGo, since Stuart is a dirty foreigner — though I do think it'll take some kind of deadline pressure to get him to commit to working on the project every day until it's ready to be playtested and then to playtest it thoroughly. I know having a hard-and-fast deadline works for me, and I'm the laziest writer on the face of the Earth.
  • From what people uploaded to teh internetz (and hasn't been mentioned so far), I've got World of Conan (link to download in the first post) and Deadwood hack (my guess is that it's been done by Sean Nittner, but his site doesn't seem to be working right now, and the author is not listed in the .pdf file, from what I can see). Guess I could share Deadwood with anyone interested, as long as the author doesn't speak against that.
  • I'd be interested in the Deadwood hack. I already have, and have been interested in playing, World of Conan for quite a while.
  • Sen Nittner also did this

Battlestar Galactica HERE
  • I've written two short, one-page hacks:
    -- That Ancient Serpent (crusaderpunk body horror dragon-fighting)
    -- Coalblack Night (jazz-age unnatural darkness bootleggers)

I've written one short super-deep hack:
    -- Ghost Opera (diceless ancient Yellow River valley karma restoring)

And I'm currently working on:
    -- The Afterborn (young adult post-apocalyptic law-abiding communities on the edge of collapse / change)
  • What about Stuart's other hacks? As the Tea Leaves Grow was sort of an AW/Lady Blackbird hack, wasn't it?

What ever happened to that one? And weren't there other ones too? Like a pulp hack about snake people or something?
  • My Crossroads game uses a very boiled down version of AW - there's only one move, but all the "action" happens in flashback scenes. I think it works.

Also available in PDF.

Per
  • FWIW, I own and have read through Crossroads, and can't wait to play it! Absolute dramatic gold in there, and the circumstance bonus cards is a welcome twist, allowing bonuses to come in to play while simultaneously adding to the fiction. Bravo, Per! :)
  • Sagas of the Icelanders Playbooks and MC sheet.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonI've written one short super-deep hack:
    --Ghost Opera(diceless ancient Yellow River valley karma restoring)
    Whoa, thanks for posting this, J! I had been eagerly awaiting more precious, precious content on Ghost Opera, and you have delivered. Hooray!
  • edited March 2012
    [cite]Posted By: FigureFour[/cite]What about Stuart's other hacks? As the Tea Leaves Grow was sort of an AW/Lady Blackbird hack, wasn't it?

What ever happened to that one? And weren't there other ones too? Like a pulp hack about snake people or something?

You mean these - Escape from Thanatos!
    Terror of the Serpent Men!
    As the Tea Leaves Grow

As for Kickstarting (or an equivalent) it is something I have considered but certainly not until the games were further along. It's not proper (at least in my opinion) to present something for cost that isn't deserving of it.

Of course, I'll happily give what I've got so far for free and keep working until I'm at a stage where I can make the products into something more professionally presented. At that time, if something like Kickstarter/Indie Go Go is the best way to do such a thing I may well employ it.

On a whole other note, Crossroads is a wonderfully fantastic game and should be played more by all people everywhere.
  • Posted By: TeataineSagas of the IcelandersPlaybooksandMC sheet.
    These look very cool, but what is that B-looking letter that pops up here and there? How is it pronounced?
  • edited March 2012
    You mean Þ and þ? It's called "thorn" and is pronounced like the "th" in thorn (technical term: it's a voiceless interdental fricative).

Edit: Not like the "th" in "then." Usually.