Play Lawful Evil @ Brooklyn, NY on 3/15, 3/17, or 3/24

edited February 2012 in Meetups / Conventions
I'm helping Brian Droitcour, curator of the upcoming Big Reality exhibition at 319 Scholes, find D&D players for one of the works that'll be in the show.

The rules we'll be using will be Mazes and Monsters, in tribute to the fact that the original staging of the event by the artist in 2007 actually played Hackmaster which is arguably a similar conceptual jape and certainly another reconstruction of satanic-panic era D&D as seen through the lens of a fictional narrative.

The scenario will be set in and around Dwimmermount, which Grognardia readers will recognize as James Maliszewski's megadungeon. Lawful Evil GMs Paul Hughes and I will also be running Dwimmermount sessions at the Brooklyn Strategist, so that backdrop will provide some context against which the lawful evil party's actions can resonate.

Let me know if you want to play, and even if not I hope you'll come and check it out!

Brian says:
I’m looking for some D&D players for an event in a gallery on three days in March. It’s a re-enactment of “Lawful Evil,” a work by artist Brody Condon in which participants play D&D using a party of LE characters. The dates are 3/15, 3/17 and 3/24, and the location is 319 Scholes, located in Brooklyn between the Grand St and Montrose St stops on the L train. Here are a few things to consider if you’re interested in playing:

- You have to be willing to play in a public space and ignore distractions. Players should not engage in conversation with visitors to the gallery; it would interrupt gameplay and erase the barrier between the work and the audience (which is already precariously thin in this piece). Ignoring distractions will be toughest on opening night, when the gallery will be crowded. I anticipate fairly light traffic on the other two days.

- You should be willing to role-play. Players are not expected to “perform” their characters, but are expected to keep in mind that the title of the work is “Lawful Evil.” Players must make in-game decisions in character according to the definition of the LE alignment.

- If you usually play a very recent or very old edition of D&D in which “lawful evil” is not a standard alignment, you should bone up on how it is defined in editions from AD&D to 3.5/Pathfinder. Pre-generated characters will be provided.

- If you’d like to take part but can’t commit to the entire time, let me know. I can try to set up shifts.

- Pencils, scratch paper, and a limited quantity of dice will be provided. - Snacks will be provided. Players are invited to put in advance requests for their favorites.

The specific dates/times are:
Thursday, March 15, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, March 17, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday March 24, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Thanks for considering!