Indie Hurricane Panels and Workshops!

edited February 2012 in Meetups / Conventions
OK, some enthusiastic and creative folks have been kicking some ideas around for panels/seminars/workshops/whatevers to do for Indie Hurricane at Gamestorm, Vancouver WA March 22-25. As Hurricane Coordinator, I'd like to get these nebulous aether-bursts of enthusiasm congealed into actual plans with schedule listings, people in charge of them, and so forth. I'd very much like to see that happen by the end of the week.

Here are some ideas that have been tossed about, in the first Gamestorm thread of the year:
Posted By: Ross Cowmanyeah, skill building workshops would be the way to go. I facilitated a couple at the library in Olympia, and they went over really well. "You Kick; We Bang" on Kickers and Bangs, and "How to Start a Fire" on escalation. (I had another on scene framing that we never got around to)

Each had a brief overview of the topics followed by quick scenes and critique / analysis by the participants. I love how in workshops you can immediately stop and go, hey lets talk about what just happened, or why was that scene awesome? in a way you can't during a game.
Posted By: J. WaltonWhat would people want workshops about? I have an inkling to maybe run one about hacking Apocalypse World.
Posted By: TylerTA self publishing workshop would be cool, i really think the cheapness of printers and digital cutting allows for publisher owned pod for board and card games and even small booklets.

also a kick starter workshop would be cool.
Posted By: Christian GriffenSpeaking of techniques, we could do some improv theater stuff. I've been taking workshops for almost two years, and there are others (hi Matt!) around with experience as well. Just for fun, or specifically to tie it to gaming, whatevs. I kind of planned to do something at GPNW this year, but we could do a trial run or something at GS.
And then there's this list from the thread contemplating the happy intersection of convention panels and jackson tegu"
Posted By: McdaldnoB.) Designing games about emotions rather than ideas.

C.) How to play a game like it's the only thing that will save your life. (ie, making play matter.)

D.) Pitching games to people who've never played games.

E.) Running games in unexpected venues (the art walk, at a punk show, at your mom's funeral, etc)
And Jake told me in email:
Jake RichmondI've enjoyed hosting and participating game design panels in the past, and would be happy to organize one again, preferably with a focus on building and publishing games as an indie designer ("You can do this! Here's how!).

Also, I'd love to host a panel for first time role players. This was Ben's idea for PAX, but I think it would work well at GameStorm. An intro panel where we run a session of GxB, with panel participants taking turns playing the dates and narrating the scenes,and panelists playing Momoko. I'm always surprised by the number of 1st time role players we get at IH events, especially women who are there with boyfriends and don't have anything to do. An interactive panel like this could be a lot of fun.

I'm very interested in hosting either an art in game design panel or a using comics to teach and sell games panel, but I don't know if there'd be enough interest in this. If there is, I'd love to push my webcomic credibility here to help draw attendees in.

Similarly, I'd love to do a "Designing games for anime fans" panel, but I doubt there'd be enough interest. I'll save it for PAX or Sakuracon.

I'd also like to do Sea Dracula on either Friday or Saturday this year to draw a larger crowd.
So! It looks like the panel idea he have mostly boil down to:
  • Specific play techniques (kickers and bangs, escalation, playing scenes, improv, etc.)
  • Game design and hacking (emotional games, Apocalypse World, etc.)
  • Practical Self-publishing (printing and craft techniques, POD, Kickstarter, using art and comics, etc)
  • the social space of story games (introducing newbies, making safe space, unusual venues, etc)
  • Sea Dracula.
So! Here is the space to express interest, collaborate, hash out details and take ownership of panel and workshop concepts! I do not have the bandwidth to plan panels this year. I may be able to sit on some, but my hands are too full to do the groundwork. I need y'all to grow 'em tall and strong for me, and I'll happily have a go on the tire swing.

Peace,
-Joel

Comments

• i'm up for self publishing and kickstarter workshop.
  • I'd like to participate in the Practical Self-publishing panel. I think I can speak about everything on the list except Kickstarter.

How about an "exploring the frontiers of gaming" type panel, where people discuss things that roleplaying games have not generally been made to do yet and how to do them? I probably wouldn't want to sit on such a panel, but I'd love to watch it.

Brian St.Claire-King,
    Creative Director, Vajra Enterprises
  • Posted By: kingbvI'd like to participate in the Practical Self-publishing panel. I think I can speak about everything on the list except Kickstarter.
    A point of clarification: there IS no Practical Self-publishing panel, at this point. I merely grouped some folks' panel ideas into some broad topical groups. It's up to interested persons (including you!) to actually flesh out these ideas into solid panel proposals!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Hello again. I cannot, repeat cannot stress enough, that I do not have the time or energy to organize panels for this year's Indie Hurricane. They will NOT happen unless other folks--you, for instance!--step up and put the proposals together. My only role is rubber-stamping them, and sitting on them if the panel organizers want me.

I ALSO cannot stress enough that we need the proposals as soon as possible, for various reasons.

You (whoever "you" is) don't hav e to plan them here, but you DO have to plan them, and let me know about them ASAP. Thanks!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Today, to do:
    1. Get "the Selkie" monsterhearts skin ready for playtest tonight.
    2. Prepare my panel proposal & submit it.
    3. Break down each rule for Silver and white.
  • Man, now I really want to run a panel on "anti-publishing" practices and how everyone should be making games (and not formally publishing them) all the damn time (i.e. Lady Blackbird, Geiger Counter, etc.). But I would probably be the only one on the panel, and the only one attending. Maybe John Harper could sit in the back and heckle me.

Do people want me on a publishing panel just so I can say controversial, subversive things? Maybe that's less than helpful. Do we want a "united front" of pro-publishing rhetoric to get people excited about making their dreams finally come true, rather than tough love?

Jackson, we should so be on a panel about experimental design (i.e. making games that have no obvious built-in audience) and why it's important! I don't know exactly how to pitch that, though. Sometimes about crafting meaningful experiences or some such.

I also want to be on a panel about how to run a sandbox game (i.e. how not to plan much of anything as the GM), drawing heavily on AW and other stuff. Anybody else interested?
  • edited February 2012
    P.S. I'd love to be on a panel about GAME DESIGN that's explicitly NOT about PUBLISHING. Those are two different things, but we often have panels (like at PAX last year) that are about how to publish your game, and skip over the more important step of designing a good game that people care about.
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: J. WaltonMan, now I really want to run a panel on "anti-publishing" practices and how everyone should be making games (and not formally publishing them) all the damn time (i.e. Lady Blackbird, Geiger Counter, etc.). But I would probably be the only one on the panel, and the only one attending. Maybe John Harper could sit in the back and heckle me.
    Man, I'd back you up.

After all, it's not every day one gets to be heckled by John Harper.

But seriously, I'd be down for that. Or actually, being a subversive voice on a publishing panel is a great idea. Then we've got one panel on the topic, and a diversity of perspectives.

One thing to note: we've had Publishing panels at the Hurricane before, and they've been kind of...eh. Like, they're a great cheering session, but not really actionable, I've found. "Self-publishing is great! Except it's hard to make a living at it. but you get to operate on your own model, that works for YOU. Yeah, except your website is really weird, Vincent! Yeah, I know! Oh well. FIN."

My thinking is, if we're going to do a panel on this, we need to talk about stuff that's really, really practical. Something that answers the "yeah, but HOW?" that's in everybody's heads after we tell them "YOU can self-publish! Go out there and do it!" I don't know what this looks like, though. If I did, I'd have already done a panel about it!

Peace,
    -Joel

PS: Game design separate from publishing...YES! totally with you there.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonI also want to be on a panel about how to run a sandbox game (i.e. how not to plan much of anything as the GM), drawing heavily on AW and other stuff. Anybody else interested?
    A sandbox panel could be interesting, but I wonder if there are enough people to create demand for most panels. When people are in panels, they're not gaming, and there were precious few gamers in the indie area last year.

Admittedly I have a pretty narrow perspective, since I was only there last year and only hung around in the (very small but wonderful) indie area.
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah, I definitely think fewer panels = more attendence hopefully. We shouldn't do more than one big indie panel each day, probably, though we could do smaller workshops.

Personally, I always wish panels began with a presentation where folks had frickin' Powerpoint and lay down the law about stuff, so people could object or ask questions based on a shared pool of knowledge rather than just out of their brains. I will totally make a killer Powerpoint for whatever panel I'm own (EDIT: "on" but I will also own it), assuming we have projectors and the like.
  • Here's a formal pitch:

Hour-long thing on indie games, different topics, each person (of four people) gets 15 minutes to present on their thing, question afterwards as a panel for people who want to stay, but that cuts into the next hour of gaming so people can also leave and go play stuff. 1.5 hours total, including setup and breakdown. I'm happy to put it together but I want face-melting topics. I will also help put Powerpoint together for people who are bad at that or just want super pretty design work. Anybody know how to reserve a projector? (Do we even have those at Gamestorm?)
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: Ben RobbinsWhen people are in panels, they're not gaming, and there were precious few gamers in the indie area last year.
    I hear you there. I'm hoping to confine panels to the late morning, leaving the afternoon and evening blocks entirely free for gaming.

In fact, here's a thing I wrote up about panel scheduling and forgot to post:

The other issue to hash out is panel format and venue. I'd like to schedule all panels in the "morning block" of Indie Hurricane scheduling, 10am - 1pm. As for location, we have two options:

Have hour-long panels in the Panel room.

PROS:
    • That's where people expect to find panels
    • Keeps out of the way of gaming
    CONS:
    • Tricky to coordinate schedule times with other Depts' panels
    • Lecture-style seating not conducive to participatory atmosphere
    • Short timeframe limits practical workshopping
    Have 1-3 hour panels in the Indie Hurricane room

PROS
    • Can arrange space for better participation
    • Can easily point folks toward active games
    • Flexible timeframe to suit needs of the panel/workshop
    CONS
    • Takes up a room of our gamespace
    • Might miss walk-ins from people browsing panels
    So, there it is: an arsenal of knowledge at your fingertips! When planning panels, you can decide where it fits in that matrix.
  • What about projectors, Joel? Only in the panels room, or can we get one too? Will it be visible / distracting if other folks are playing games?
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: JoelI hear you there. I'm hoping to confine panels to the late morning, leaving the afternoon and evening blocks entirely free for gaming.
    I really like the consistent scheduling of panels, Joel. Thanks for doing this.
    Posted By: J. WaltonHour-long thing on indie games, different topics, each person (of four people) gets 15 minutes to present on their thing, question afterwards as a panel for people who want to stay, but that cuts into the next hour of gaming so people can also leave and go play stuff. 1.5 hours total, including setup and breakdown.
    Who is the intended audience for this hour?

Who is likely to show up for this hour? (edit: never mind, this isn't really a fair question.)
  • edited February 2012
    Hey, i'm double-heading Jonathan's formal proposal with him.

We're considering the title "Four Three Voices on Face Melting Design and Play: Indie RPGs"

If you're interested in joining us, post or whisper your proposal.

We're on board with the consistent panel booking too. Awesome.
    I'm not posting it right now because navigating the GS site is too much like drowning.
    Soon, though. Tomorrow.

Johnzo: It's folks who are interested in "new ideas" in RPGs. It's not so much an outreach effort, as it is about reaching up.
    Or forward. Say.

Not that the door will be barred to anyone, i'm sure the LARPers will find our stuff interesting.
  • If we're in the standard panel slot and only have an hour, maybe it should be three face-melting voices, so we have 15 minutes for questions. That's actually not a bad format, all-said.

I agree on the audience. We want people to self-select as being interested in and open to new ideas about games, not people who are satisfied playing the same way for the rest of eternity. It's not a missionary outreach activity, but a way to join together with fellow travelers wandering in the wilderness.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonIt's not a missionary outreach activity, but a way to join together with fellow travelers wandering in the wilderness.
    Someone else should make a really aggro missionary panel, though.

It should be called "YOUR RPG PLAY IS WRONG AND OUTDATED" and it should be a super faux-confrontational primer on indie games.
  • Workshops?
  • Hey Morgan, what kind of workshops do you want to see?

(Behind the scenes: I'm asking provocative questions and building on the answers. In a moment, I'll disclaim decision making.)
  • Jackson, you should announce more future badness.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonWhat about projectors, Joel? Only in the panels room, or can we get one too? Will it be visible / distracting if other folks are playing games?
    Joel & I are going to a GS staff meeting on Sunday, so if Joel doesn't already know, we can ask about this.
  • Hmmm. Ok.

The room for the YOUR RPG PLAY IS WRONG AND OUTDATED panel has a large tarp laid out in front,
    and several boxes of tomatoes placed throughout the audience.

The tomatoes would have been delicious a couple of weeks ago, but time has not been kind to them.

They have a restless gray fuzziness, similar to that of the audience members.
  • Can we just get someone bald to wield a large hammer and smash watermelons that have "GURPS" and "D&D" and "WORLD OF DARKNESS" penned on them in indelible ink, whilst screaming profanities and hard-nosed opinions on "trad" and "rat-tail" games?
  • I would do a panel called "How to have fun with role-playing games."

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Posted By: jackson teguHey Morgan, what kind of workshops do you want to see?

(Behind the scenes: I'masking provocative questions and building on the answers.In a moment, I'lldisclaim decision making.)
    Workshops about techniques with a chance to practice them? And receive feedback on practice attempts?

I'm treating this thread like a stolen car.
  • Hey, folks--a lot of phantasmal wonder flying around in this thread.

The guy scheduling panels asked me today if I could get him a list of Indie Hurricane panels--even if the full pitch isn't fleshed out yet--so he can at least get them into the schedule. If we do this right away, that's our best chance of being able to get the times we want.

So, what you can do for me: in the next 24 hours, post here with the name of a panel in bold, and which morning you'd like to do it on: Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Anything thus posted gets told by me to the Panel scheduling guy. At this point I'm assuming "Face-melting play, etc." is a thing, unless someone tells me its not or revises it.

If we do a workshop in the Indie Hurricane space, that's a different thing, because "that guy" is me.

Peace,
    -Joel

PS: if you want me to be a panelist on a panel, tell me! I'm seriously not getting involved unless you do, but if you want me, I'd be delighted, provided I can make it fit my schedule.
  • edited February 2012
    Ok, i'm gonna run a chamber-larp-disguised-as-a-panel called

the name of a panel in bold

This is a joke.

Really, the totally-not-a-chamber-larp-so-you-can-still-be-surprised-if-i-etc-do-that is called

Three Voices on Face Melting Design and Play: Indie RPGs
    edited: probs Saturday. Is that when the people in this thread would be more likely to attend?
  • Jackson, can we just call it Face-Melting Design & Play: Indie RPGs, since we don't have a third person yet and a shorter title is probably better? Whenever you want to schedule it is fine with me.
  • Ok. (changes being compiled)

Saturday, then.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • edited February 2012
    If I could make a humble suggestion, switch it to "Indie RPGs: Face-Melting Design & Play". Don't bury the lead.

(or three voices, or whatever, just put Indie RPG first)
  • I was interested in talking about visual teaching and comics in games and game design, but we already have "Indie RPGs: Face-Melting Design & Play" and I doubt there'd be enough interest in a second design panel. GS History shows that one is more than enough,and that two will divide the potential audience pretty badly.
  • I'm not entirely certain that the Face-Melting panel will be about design in the way you're thinking. Still, point well taken. Comics in Games could still be a strong enough focus for its own panel if we present it well, though.
  • I'll head up a panel (and hope some of you will join me):

Practical Self-Publishing: Your Route to Instant Fame and Guaranteed Riches

I'd be happy for anyone to sit in to argue that publishing is overrated, that people should make their own games to play and not to publish, etc.

Jake: I'm sure getting art will be a big topic in the self-publishing panel, so feel free to come and talk about how art can be used to teach and inform, or whatever.

FYI, since we're talking about times, I'll be busy running a game at 11am on Sunday for 2 hours.
  • Mr. Ben Robbins: whilst i adore your fervour for the good things in lyfe,
    I do also declare an interest in putting our punchiest phrase at the outmost,
    so that all those who may be put off by indie rpgs may still be coerced by
    our audacity.

So, with your support, Good Sir, I will maintain my course as
    Face-Pinching Design & Play: Indie RAGs.

Also would consider attending a panel entitled

"A Return To The Platonic Solids: Why We Should Leave Our 10-Sided Dice At Home"

if anyone were thinking of putting that on, because, like, wow... what the fuck would that be about?
    I mean, how would you possibly win us over to such an insane stance?
    So, for that reason alone, i would consider attending.
  • edited February 2012
    So! I've got three panels on the schedule:

Fluency Play Friday at 10 with me and Willem Larsen

Face-Melting, etc Saturday at 10 with Jackson and Jonathan

Religion in Roleplaying (working title, will probably be FACE-MELTED up a bit) with me and Ben Lehman

So, first: if any of these panelists want to invite specific other people to join them, please communicate that. (And on that note: paging Hans Chung-Otterson to Religion in Roleplaying!) And if anyone is interested in joining as a panelist, then communicate that so we can make that happen, with the kind permission of the panel organizers.

Aaron Curtis, the gentleman in charge of panels, informs me that he has maybe 1 or 2 slots left for panels, if we have any more to do. And he's already got the other panels' times mapped out, so if we want to do any other panels and get it in our preferred timeframe, we need to submit the requests like NOW.

I'll reiterate that I don't think we NEED to have a bunch of panels, and many of our proposed topics overlap with the already-scheduled Gamestorm panels. But if anyone sees a vital lack in the spread of topics that they are passionate about filling, then be my guest!

Also: do we still wanna do a play techniques workshop in the Indie Hurricane room on one of these mornings? That's something we don't need to run by Aaron, but I'd like to know if that concept has legs. With 10:00 panels on Fri. and Sat. it might be nice to have a 11-1 workshop to fill the block.

And finally: Aaron has requested that I ask you fine folks if any of you would like to join other panels that you find appealing or relevant to your interests. So take a look at the list of panels and tell me any you're interested in, and I'll tell Aaron. For instance, there is already a panel on "How to Self Publish in the RPG Industry." I don't know much about the panelists--so far, Aaron only has himself posted into all the panels as a proxy GM--but if y'all feel you have something to contribute, let me know!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Posted By: Joel(And on that note: paging Hans Chung-Otterson to Religion in Roleplaying!)
    I'm there.