Indie Hurricane at Gamestorm: calling facilitators most felicitous!

edited January 2012 in Meetups / Conventions
Greetings, Gamers of Storied persuasion! It is imperative that I inform you, in just two short months the Portland area's Gamestorm Convention will be coming to the Vancouver Hilton, March 22 to 25. Within the varied events of that convention lurks Indie Hurricane! the Portland indie game community's showcase of self-published roleplaying most delightful!

I find myself charged with Hurricane Herding for the second year running, and I harbor huge hopes for this year. Capitalizing on the burst of enthusiasm recorded here on this very Internet forum site, it is my fondest wish to extend an invitation to not only to attend, but also to contribute to the scheduled lineup of story gaming amazitude.

How, you ask? That's an excellent question! I can already see that you are just the sort of astute and proactive facilitator we need rocking the roster. The answer comes in two parts:

Part 1 is Registration. Follow the link to register online by March 7 for the best rate, and the ability to sign up in advance for games. Player signups will open sometime in February.

Part 2 is creating a profile on the Gamestorm website. Then head to the Gamestorm schedule page to submit proposals. I believe you can do this even before you've paid for your Membership, though of course you'll have to register and pay before attending!

I'll be scheduling the Indie Hurricane games in set blocks. This prevents events on the Indie Hurricane track from having awkward overlaps with each other, and gives us meal breaks at 1 and 6 so we can be social together.

The gaming blocks are:

Morning 10am-1pm
Afternoon 2pm-6pm
Evening 7pm-12pm

When you submit a proposal, let me know in the special instructions which block you prefer. You can also specify if you'd like a table in the Birch room or in the lobby just outside it. And remember to sort your event to the Indie Hurricane track, emblazoned in the unmistakable and striking Pink Banner of indie pride!

Time is of the essence so we can have a robust schedule of games when the player signups begin in a couple of weeks. With your help I am confident this year's Hurricane will be a veritable tempest!

Peace,
-Joel

Comments

• Hey lovely Gamestormin' folk,

I was really excited to show up to Gamestorm and play/rep Perfect Unrevised and Monsterhearts. Then I fell and broke my hip, and I'm going to be on bed rest until after the con. So, I'd be really excited if someone wanted to be an ambassador for those games @ Gamestorm (possibly including getting them into the Indie Hurricane booth & dealing with stock).

If you're interested in doing something like that, in exchange for copies of those games or just my gratitude, you should totes contact me.
  • edited January 2012
    I'll run at least one session of Anima Prime and one of Monsterhearts. I also still want to do a little improv workshop. I'll have to figure out the scheduling, and we need to talk about booth manning.

ETA: For now, I'm putting MH up for Friday night and AP for Saturday afternoon.
  • I admit to being partial to the whiteboard, I will be bringing, Monsterhearts, Serpent's Tooth, My Daughter Queen of France, Silver and White, and some other stuff.
  • Joe,

I'm thinking of doing a Perfect reskin game (as the Protomen!). I'll ask around for other folks to run Perfect and Monsterhearts as well. If Carl Rigney is coming, he's a perfect candidate for the latter! Between me, Christian, Ross and others we should have you covered there.

And let's talk about getting your books to the con.
  • Joel, like Ross I tend towards ad hoc scheduling, but does having events listed a priori (it's Latin day!) give us more credibility with Game Storm or some other secondary benefit? Because if that's the case I can do some.
  • Posted By: Ben RobbinsJoel, like Ross I tend towards ad hoc scheduling, but does having events listed a priori (it's Latin day!) give us more credibility with Game Storm or some other secondary benefit? Because if that's the case I can do some.
    Having been involved with some Gamestorm organizational discussions, I can confirm that the Gamestorm staff and organizers don't see casual pick-up gaming as an exciting direction to move in. It isn't easily tracked, meaning that they can't gauge how "important" it is to award Indie Hurricane space and organizational support. It isn't in posted on the site, meaning that it can't draw in on-the-fence gamers who might peruse the site.

If you're looking to have all the flexibility of pick-up gaming while still giving Indie Hurricane all the intra-organizational credibilty of listed/slotted gaming, you could post an event like this:

Indie Games Spotlight
    System: One of several indie game options
    Time Slot: 4 hours
    Players: Open-ended
    Description: Looking for indie roleplaying games, but don't want to commit your whole schedule ahead of time? For the Indie Games Spotlight, I'll bring the following three games: GAME X, GAME Y, GAME Z. You're invited to bring any games you're stoked about. We'll pitch them, and then collectively decide which one we're playing this session (break-out groups possible).
  • Posted By: Ben Robbinsdoes having events listed a priori (it's Latin day!) give us more credibility with Game Storm or some other secondary benefit?
    Yeah, what Joe said!

I DO want to support pickup/games on demand type play, and I'm working on presenting that in a format the Gamestorm Committee can get into (actually, the format Joe laid out works pretty well for that). I'd like to see a mix of scheduled games and pickup gaming at open tables.
  • As an attendee, I can say that the "Scheduled Pick-Up Slot" sounds fantastic. I plan on attending lots of scheduled events, and it would really help to have a pick-up game that fits with the rest of my schedule. In theory, anyway; we'll have to see how it works in practice.
  • Posted By: Ben RobbinsJoel, like Ross I tend towards ad hoc scheduling, but does having events listed a priori (it's Latin day!) give us more credibility with Game Storm or some other secondary benefit? Because if that's the case I can do some.
    It's also a big help for drawing new players. it felt like most of the people who have played in my scheduled game storm sessions were new to indie games.
  • Yeah, I also prefer pitching games prior to a session, but I agree that it would be helpful to have some things scheduled in advance for folks that prefer that or are interested in specific games. I submitted proposals for Mouse Guard, Fiasco, and Zombie Cinema, but I'm planning on bringing Kagematsu, MDQF, and Montsegur (plus some other stuff, probably) and seeing what people are down for in the moment.
  • How about we create a series of events for big FabricatedRealities/GoPlay style pitches? Like Joe's Idea except with multiple facilitators agreeing beforehand to run something for a specific slot.

It can be a cool social gathering like at FabReal that will attract attention because we'll be having fun and making lots of jokes about the human condition.
    It will satisfy the Connies (like carnies but at a con) because it is on the schedule and you can still sign up for it.

A couple of ideas...
    -Get individual facilitators to commit to each slot, maybe even committing on what game to pitch. So the same folks don't have to pitch over and over, and we know what to look forward to.
    -Schedule them regularly, put the signup sheets in a really visible place.
    -Allow people to drop in, and have some extra facilitators on hand to handle extra folks
  • Yes! I like how this is shaping up.
  • I'm running Dungeon World for sure.

I can't commit to anything else yet, but I really like the Spotlight concept. I wouldn't want to pack it all of it to Vancouver, but there's a pretty big menu of games I feel comfortable about throwing down with on short notice.
  • edited January 2012
    I like the "I am committed to running a pickup game in this slot" plan. We did that for GPNW 2010 to show that there was going to be pickup gaming, even if we didn't know what it was.

Finalize what the entry should say (so they're basically consistent) and we shall spawn them.
  • edited January 2012
    Finalizated:

Title: Open Story Gaming

Maximum players: 15

Length: 4 hours

Excerpt (for program book): Looking for indie roleplaying games, but don't want to commit your whole schedule ahead of time? Come join the Open Story gaming circle. We'll bring some games we're stoked about, and you're invited to do the same. We'll pitch the options, and everyone can decide what they want to play!

Description (for the online schedule): Looking for indie roleplaying games, but don't want to commit your whole schedule ahead of time? Come join the Open Story gaming circle. We'll bring some games we're stoked about, and you're invited to do the same.

At the start of the block, we'll gather in a circle and explain our game offerings to the group. Any roleplaying games are welcome, but we'll be bringing a selection of indie favorites. After initial pitches, we'll break off into smaller groups as needed. No gamer left behind!

Private note to organizers: [specify Frday afternoon, Saturday evening, etc.]

We're covering five blocks: Fri afternoon and evening, Sat afternoon and evening, Sunday afternoon. I'm not bothering with the morning slots for this.

I'd like to get 2 or more "GMs" committed to each block. I can adjust this behind the scenes in the scheduling system if necessary, as people commit.

I'm kicking things off by committing to Friday Evening and Sunday Afternoon. Who's with me?

EDIT: Rather than having you all spawn proposals from my blueprint (I mean, spawn if you wanna, but it's no longer an Indie Hurricane sanctioned activity), I decided to just duplicate my own Game proposal, which was as easy as pressing a button four times. So whisper or email me if you want to be added to one of the blocks as "GM." (Please note that I won't be able to cover all these myself, so I need folks to step up so I can delete myself from the proposals I'm not running!)

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Screw whisper, let's shout!

I'm in for Friday evening, Saturday afternoon & evening, and Sunday afternoon.

If we have more facilitators than we need for slots I'm happy to step down on some and spread the load. I assume we'll work it like the suave gentlefolk we are.

I think it would also be wise to list some example games so people can research what kind of games we're talking about. I'd throw in Fiasco, Shock, Polaris and Microscope.
  • Awesome. As soon as you create a profile on the Gamestorm site, Ben, lemme know and I'll add you to the events!
  • Yeah, I'm up for anything, whichever slots are most helpful. But I suppose I should throw down now:

Sat. afternoon & evening.

Harry, are you planning on doing Shelter in Place? Because if so, I want to get in on that.
  • Dude, I wanna Shelter in place SO BAD.
  • Is there going to be enough room to run Shelter In Place? I was thinking that I'd either run it using the IH room and the hallway outside, or run it in the park across the street, but I wasn't sure how kosher either of those ideas were - and of course, playing in the park would be dependent on the weather. Either way, if I did do it, I was considering running it Sunday morning (instead of, uh, Zombie Cinema), so that there wouldn't be too many other folks around. Joel?
  • Will Indie Huricane and the open slots be open on Thursday? I'm going to be there Thursday afternoon, vibrating with excitement.
  • Yeah! Way to min/max! I'll commit to a slot a day, put me where ever you want me. also Joel, Do I have a staff signup yet?
  • Oh, you're also probs want 3 or 4 facilitators per slot if there end up being 15 folks. I would try and schedule that many with the understanding that they will join other people's games if there are not enough folks. (last I checked there are 3 cars of people from olympia coming to GS)
  • Just got done registering, and I'm willing to help out / facilitate. I'll easily commit to Saturday Afternoon / Evening.

I can run pickup games easily, and contribute other things like DungeonWorld, etc.
  • Posted By: MathalusWill Indie Huricane and the open slots be open on Thursday? I'm going to be there Thursday afternoon, vibrating with excitement.
    I'm going to be there all four days.
  • I'm having trouble looking up accounts to add them as GMs. It might be a website bug, and I'll look into that, ut can folks whisper me a direct link to their Gamestorm account page?
  • Oh, yeah, Joel you should do this on thursday as well, Jackson Tegu, Morgan, Robert, and I will all be there.
  • I'm really having trouble getting excited enough about something to commit to running it.

Also I'm having trouble wanting to play anything but Microscope.

I would be down to co-GM one of these slots. I will just, I don't know, probably run Microscope.
  • It would be cool to see people scheduling accessible crossover games (Dungeon World, Mouse Guard, Beast Hunters, Anima Prime, etc) into regular Gamestorm RPG slots. Why not bring the mountain to Mohammed?

I may do this myself if I can somehow confidently forecast what march-johnzo is going to be excited about running.
  • Hmm, still not working. Can y'all check to see if you have a profile page on the schedule.gamestorm.org portion of the site, like this one?

Another thing to double-check: After creating your account, have you received two emails from the webmaster, with the subject headings:

GameStorm - Your Registrati​on is Pending Approval
    GameStorm - New User Details

Thanks for your patience and assistance. The more information you povide, the better shot I have of clearing it up quickly with the IT folks.

Peace,
    -Joel

PS Ross, I'm awaiting confirmation on the Staff Memberships.
  • UPDATE: Fiddling around some more, it looks like it's just a backlog on getting accounts confirmed. I was able to pull up accounts of already-confirmed GMs just fine.
  • edited January 2012
    Posted By: johnzoIt would be cool to see people scheduling accessible crossover games (Dungeon World, Mouse Guard, Beast Hunters, Anima Prime, etc) into regular Gamestorm RPG slots. Why not bring the mountain to Mohammed?
    There's enough there to talk about for a whole 'nother thread; a couple of us aren't even sure the Hurricaine should be its own separate thing.

That said, I'm pretty sure Mohammed will be there. Between my Microscope and Danger Patol sessions last year only one person was from "the usual suspects."

Edit: I think posting my games early had something to do with that. This crowd does everything last minute whereas the more typical Gamestormer seems to be looking and booking schedules soon after they're posted. You want to throw down with your Stumptown friends, don't schedule that slot. You want to get evangelical? Post early.
  • Johnzo, Matthew, I DO want to have that conversation, and I think it DOES merit its own thread. Part of the reason this remains an unsettled issue, I think, is that the time it comes up (con planning time) is the time that considering a complete reorganization and re-conceptualizing of how we do this thing is the most stressful and difficult. So it gets shelved indefinitely. I keep thinking "we should really have a focused discussion to clear that up, maybe after the con. And then it doesn't happen.

So for now, let's say:

1) If you want to schedule any game sessions under the normal RPG track, be my guest! Or Rodney's guest. or whatever. Neither I nor the Indie Hurricane own your time and participacion.

2) But please consider running at least some of your sessions under the Indie Hurricane banner, for the sake of strengthening IH as a thing and fore the sake of community togetherness.

3) I will start an earnest discussion of this issue as soon as time and energy permit, either before the con or shortly thereafter. If I don't get to it before, feel free to prod me post-con!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • But please consider running at least some of your sessions under the Indie Hurricane banner, for the sake of strengthening IH as a thing and fore the sake of community togetherness.
    Absolutely! I love Indie Hurricane, I love that it's made of people who play the games I want to play, and I really love having the dedicated space for it that's more comfortable and less noisy than the ballrooms. I doubt I'd bother with Gamestorm if there were no IH. I am certain I'll be facilitating something in hurricane space. Probably multiple somethings.

That said, I'm feeling a weird urge to take it to the streets .... probably from reading jenskot posts here...
  • For the record, I doubt it's all that unsettled and would guess something well north of 75% of the community wants to keep our own private idaho.

S'why I offered my suggestion for making sure Mohammed can get some Prankster bus tickets.

I am excited about the brewing tempest.

Stopping while I'm metaphorically behind...
  • Posted By: JoelAwesome. As soon as you create a profile on the Gamestorm site, Ben, lemme know and I'll add you to the events!
    Roger that.
    Posted By: misubaAlso I'm having trouble wanting to play anything but Microscope.
    OH NOES!

Don't worry, we've got a program that can help reintroduce you to normal gaming.

Okay, I'm lying, we've got no such thing. Science can only do just so much.
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: Ross Cowmanon thursday as well, Jackson Tegu, Morgan, Robert, and I will all be there.
    UUUUUURCH!
    Thursday is my sweetie's b-day, and so i will be catching a ride down on friday with... a Seattleite.

Volunteers, Seattleites?
    (Yep, i'm going with the old reliable "You tell me who's driving me and at what time, and i'll be ready.)

Edit: Or one of the other carloads of Olympians. Volunteers, Olympians?
  • Here's some helpful info from Pheonix of Gamestorm Registration:
    They need to set up profiles on the scheduling system; only the username and password are copied from the main system (le suck, I know, and there's a ticket for that to get fixed). To be a GM they have to fill in a bio in addition to first and last names.
    So, everyone who's running Open Gaming slots, take care of that, and I should be able to add you.
  • I added an Open Story Gaming event for Thursday evening!
  • Joel & the other Indie Hurricane GMs: I've pretty much decided not to run anything this year, and only attend as a freeloader regular congoer. However: Is there any day or time where you desperately need an extra body to GM games, either as part of an Open Gaming slot, or as its own thing? I could pull together a game of Primetime Adventures, Fiasco, InSpectres, or XXXTreme Street Luge (!!!), if needed. Let me know.
  • Planning to be there and running indie games like a mo-fo, probably in both scheduled (gah, the unwashed masses!) and open gaming slots (gah, the indie insularity!). I can imagine a lot of AW, Mouse Guard, and DW in my future, though also some crazy stuff like Metrofinal, Silver & White, and the Stage One games. I'll try to send more details soon, once I sit down and have a think.