The Trouble with Rose (new stuff, still free)

edited December 2011 in Make Stuff!
Okie dokie, I just dropped a HUGE update to the The Trouble with Rose folder.

Reformated:
All the old play sets are updated to use a version of xofour's excellent convention cut-up style.

New:
Added Bloody Rails
- Murder on the Blueridge Express set in the '40s.

Added In Space, No One Can Hear You.
- A hard sci-fi space mystery.

Added Super Trouble.
- Superhero hijinks!

Added a DOC for making paper dominoes on the cheap.
Updated RandomCast DOC a little.
Updated RandomCast XLS a lot, you can roll up to seven unique characters at a time.
Added a ZIP file that contains the Taebl set for TTwR.
Added some read me files for people new to the game.
[Stupid fun fact, Google Docs doesn't display text files.]

Obie Wan, help me!
Posted the draft for The Trouble with Rose v2.1. Please read and be brutal about telling me what I did wrong. The rules have not changed, but I tried to format things better and provide more meat for the support of the game.

The goal is to get this spiffy enough that I can submit it to the Ennies and actually have a judge look at it for more than 30 seconds. Or even *gasp* play the game. I know I'm not an artist or a layout guru. So, any feedback on the latest draft (about a dozen pages) would be appreciated.
--
TAZ

Comments

• Hey, this looks very interesting!

Are there any Actual Play reports/threads out there anywhere?
  • Thanks for the interest. Here are some links to where you can download some actual play recordings:

Deep Six at Monkey Con

Six Guns and Dust The audio is a little rough on this since it was not edited (house fire ate that version.)

I'm also [slowly] editing a session for Bloody Rails.
    --
    TAZ
  • Hi Todd,

First off, I find this game really neat! It was an easy read too.

Here are a couple quick comments:

1. Why is Sakura so important that it needs to be included in the rules (along with its footnote)? It just seems out of place for a Shakespearean theme.

2. I find that splitting up the materials needed per chapter makes it harder to know what you'll need to play. Would you consider putting all this stuff up-front?

3. Why use cards for determining the random setting? Why not dominoes?

4. I very much like how the more conflict-creating attributes (the oaths) score the most points.

5. Great job on the hidden agendas! Does the voting mechanism and +10 points if you achieved your agenda work well in play?

6. I like the new character sheet style with the domino graphics. It looks spiffier and is actually slightly more clear visually since it better matches what the players will be seeing in play.

7. The sidebars are better done, they are more clearly separate now. The gradient background colour you were using before made it harder to tell where the sidebar started.

8. My main issue with the rules would be that I find the description of how to narrate based on your dominoes extremely brief. "Ted describes how Orlando goes into a rant over Oliver's mistreatment and even lays hands on Oliver in an attempt to intimidate him" Holy cow is there a lot that a player could do here! More guidelines and examples of how to play this part well would be awesome.

9. Overall landscape layout and 2-column format seems to be working well. You also made good use of images to lay out the text.

Ok, that's everything I can think of. I hope that helps. :-)

• edited December 2011
    > First off, I find this game really neat! It was an easy read too.

Thanks and wow! I'll start cracking on that list!

> 1. Why is Sakura so important that it needs to be included in the rules (along with its footnote)? It just seems out of place for a Shakespearean theme.

Part of the importance is that I wanted to show that it's OK to jump to a non-western culture. Also in my play test groups there were way more anime fans than
    Shakespeare fans. Perhaps I need to elaborate on that a bit.

> 2. I find that splitting up the materials needed per chapter makes it harder to know what you'll need to play. Would you consider putting all this stuff up-front?

Good call.

> 3. Why use cards for determining the random setting? Why not dominoes?

Poor self control? :-)

With dominoes you have only seven faces/choices possible, with cards thirteen (and that jumps to 28 and 52 respectively when you get to suits.)

> 4. I very much like how the more conflict-creating attributes (the oaths) score the most points.

Thanks, that something that I strive for in the play sets and mention in the appendix that talks about making your own.

> 5. Great job on the hidden agendas! Does the voting mechanism and +10 points if you achieved your agenda work well in play?

Absolutely, sometimes they're the tie breaker and they're generally the reward for those that can put it all together. There's also the fun during the reveal so see if you could guess what the player was trying to do with their character. The bonus points are far from automatic, experience has shown that they're only reward about 40 to 50% of the time. The story telling gets carried away and it doesn't end up the way players thought it was going to go.

> 6. I like the new character sheet style with the domino graphics. It looks spiffier and is actually slightly more clear visually since it better matches what the players will be seeing in play.

Thanks, it's also easier to chop them up and hand them out at a convention. That actually started out as a player suggestion.

> 7. The sidebars are better done, they are more clearly separate now. The gradient background colour you were using before made it harder to tell where the sidebar started.

Yeah, also Google Docs was mangling the gradient images pretty badly.

> 8. My main issue with the rules would be that I find the description of how to narrate based on your dominoes extremely brief. "Ted describes how Orlando goes into a rant over Oliver's mistreatment and even lays hands on Oliver in an attempt to intimidate him" Holy cow is there a lot that a player could do here! More guidelines and examples of how to play this part well would be awesome.

I'm tempted to write up an actual play or example play session to give more detail to that. And/or show how to do that same scene several different ways as a narrative, soliloquy, and dialogue.

> 9. Overall landscape layout and 2-column format seems to be working well. You also made good use of images to lay out the text.

I was spending more time on screen with the text it just came to feel better with shorter columns in landscape mode.

Thanks again for the feedback. I think number eight is the biggie. I either need to get more descriptive there or point the readers to a solid example of how to play the game. It wasn't a stumbling block in playtesting since I was there to cover the details. One reason why I'm trying to get more eyes on the text. Face to face or over Skype it plays out rather smoothly.
    --
    TAZ
  • I'm tempted to write up an actual play or example play session to give more detail to that. And/or show how to do that same scene several different ways as a narrative, soliloquy, and dialogue.

Both options seem great, although I'd personally lean toward the second one. If you find that it encumbers the text, you could always just put a pointer in the rules to take a look at the appendix or some such. Anyway, just a suggestion!

Happy gaming,

--Jonathan

• I added a little more text to one of the side bars, but a let's play example in the appendix is now on the official to-do list. :-)
    --
    TAZ